PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old and prentend kitchen height

bugglemom
06-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Okay, yet another kitchen issue! My 2 year old is tall, yet it still seems like the work surface of most of these toy kitchens would be too high for him to really use. Most of them seem to be about 24 inches high, am I right? Are your 2 year olds really able to use the surface or are they stirring pots on the floor, etc. and doing other things while you wait for them to grow into their kitchens?

I think my DS would love a kitchen but if the height isn't right, I'm afraid it just won't get use. Maybe it's a better gift for later....

I'm thinking about the following table top version which I could put on my coffee table or have my DH build a shorter cabinet for it to rest on if we want the doors below to simulate the oven, etc.
. Anyone seen this IRL?

zuzu
06-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Can you maybe swing by a Pottery Barn Kids or other store that carries them to see how they "fit" him?

My two year old is on the short side (maybe 32 inches now) and she still enjoys playing with her dishes and pans in the sink and on the stove. We keep things on the shelves that are attached to the back of the unit and she can reach all but the top one. She hasn't expressed any frustration in not being able to reach (and the same goes for the shelves in the fridge), so I'm glad we didn't opt for a smaller one. I hope to get several years' use from this set:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27890.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27894.jpg

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

mattiew
07-01-2005, 09:07 PM
My DD was 33" at 2 yrs and received her Kidkraft kitchen a couple months after she turned 2...she LOVES it and the height has not been a problem at all. The big allure at first was opening and closing the doors and putting things in and out of it, she then moved to washing dishes and "cooking".

HTH!
Carrie

brittone2
07-02-2005, 12:39 PM
We just found a MDF style play kitchen (in a bit of rough shape) that we picked up along a curb w/ a free sign before we moved. I was planning on getting a nice Elves and Angels one but decided to see how DS did w/ this one first. He's enjoying it quite a bit even at 16.5 months. He likes opening/closing the doors/cabinets, pulling out the sink, telling me the burners are "hot", and even putting the occasional pot on a burner. He isn't really pretending to cook yet with it but he seems to enjoy it. Ours is probably about 24 inches or so at the work surface and he's about 31 ish inches I think. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all.