PDA

View Full Version : Toy for 6 m.o. who's "outgrowing" gymini?

knaidel
07-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Seems like it might be time to out the gymini away....DS plays on it for about 2 minutes, then rolls/scoots himself off of it and just lays on the floor. Any suggestions for something for this next stage that he might enjoy?

SarahK
07-01-2005, 10:33 AM
What about one of those piano type toys? We had the Sparkling Symphony piano toy for our daughter and she loved being under it and batting at the hanging toys--that made the music play and the piano toys light up. Sometimes I'd also put her in her bouncy chair with the piano right in front of it so she could be at eye-level with the light-up piano keys.

Is he sitting? He might like the Ocean Wonders Aquarium bowl. My daughter was fascinated by that when she was learning to sit. She would hold onto it with both hands and as she wobbled around on her bottom, the bowl would rock and the music would play.

SummerBaby
07-01-2005, 10:37 AM
DD has loved her Leap Frog Learning Table since 6 months. It's actually the only toy that she's kept interest in this long. Before she could stand, we kept it on the floor with the legs off. The music is actually not bad compared to other toys.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

amp
07-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Another vote for the Leapfrog Leapstart Learning Table. We started it at that age w/ the legs detached and added them later when he was standing steady and could pull up without pulling it down on himself.

Household objects were very popular at that age (remotes, cooking utensils, cell phones, etc).

Torster
07-02-2005, 10:54 AM
My suggestions are similar. The Fisher Price Classical Chorus Gym (another piano with toys that hang down) was a big hit and can be set up to work differently for babies who are lying, sitting, or standing. It's $30 at BRU.

We have the LeapStart Learning Table too; my little one has been slightly frustrated by it because she can't reach everything she wants to from a sitting position -- but she loves it and keeps trying to play with it. Around $40 at Target.

Also, the toys from the Gymini are still useful on strollers and carseats. The same goes for the dangling toys on the piano -- now that it's in the sitting position, I took the toys off and she plays with them separately.

Finally, it's not a toy per se, but we have an exersaucer that she loves -- Graco's Little Tikes 3 in 1 Entertainer. I think there are newer ones out now that I might pick instead, but she loves it. I think it has really helped her develop her strength for sitting and standing -- she stands up in it when she gets excited, and there's plenty of support there when she topples back.

Good luck!

August Mom
07-02-2005, 12:30 PM
I would say that the Leapstart Learning Table and a toy that involves putting things in and taking them out will be a hit now or in a couple of months. The FP Ocean's Aquarium toy with the balls to take in and out has been a huge hit with babies I know.