PDA

View Full Version : Introducing painting - what kind of paintbrushes?

ett
07-02-2005, 02:12 PM
For those that do painting with your kids, what kind of paintbrushes do you use? I just picked up a paint with water book to try with DS. It came with one of those long skinny paintbrushes but I'm really afraid that DS will poke his eyes out with it. Are there any paintbrushes that are more toddler friendly? Thanks.

pritchettzoo
07-02-2005, 02:21 PM
I just picked up a set of these from Lakeshore Learning. Other school supply places carry similar sets. The brushes are short and stubby to fit in little hands:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/full/cg286_f.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/cceeo

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

SarahK
07-02-2005, 10:55 PM
We just had our first toddler art class on Friday and the teacher had the children using tempera paints with foam brushes. Do you know what I mean?? They're about one inch wide and are made of soft black foam with wooden handles. She also had sea sponges for the children to use.

It worked well but was quite messy with the tempera paints. Probably would work well with the paint-with-water book you have though.

miki
07-03-2005, 07:07 AM
At our local drop in art place, they have brushes like Anna posted but sometimes they also just use q-tips.

Jen841
07-05-2005, 11:48 AM
These work great for us! Michael's had 20 for $1 and I got a bunch. Jude has been painting the house, with water : )

ett
07-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be heading to Lakeshore Learning and Michaels soon to check them out.

starrynight
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I have the paint cups Anna showed, I bought them for 0.50 each at a teacher supply store. I don't have those brushes though, I have bigger ones with chunky wooden handles, I found them at A. C Moore, for a dollar I think? Maybe 2/$1. These are very toddler safe (the end is rounded) and easy for kids to hold.

hellokitty1
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Coincidentally, i'll be trying q-tips next. we were just using our hands but it becomes a mess and i want to avoid paint brushes for now bc i see them being flung all over the place and the paint flying off the brush. I was thinking q-tips would be fairly harmless.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

s7714
07-08-2005, 01:20 AM
Just FYI, I got a mailer a couple days ago--Lakeshore Learning is currently having a "back to school" sale and all the painting supplies are 20% off. The sale runs from July 5 - September 10. (One drawback, it's in stores only, not online.)

HTH,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05