PDA

View Full Version : Do you have two potties in a two story house

hellokitty1
07-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Just wondering if you have a two-story house, do you have two potties - one up and one down?

And also, if I were to get two potties, would it be inconsistent to have one stand-alone potty on one floor and a toilet top potty on the other? I'm thinking we may eventually get the toilet top so why buy two of the same potties only to get a third one later. But if you guys think that it is too inconsistent, than I could get two of the same now.

And another thing, have some of you just gone ahead and gotten the toilet top and never used the stand-alone?

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

Emmas Mom
07-07-2005, 02:03 PM
We have 2 potty seats in a one story house....one for each bathroom. We use the potty seats that just fit on the big toilets though so it's a lot less hassle in my opinion. We originally bought this one but now just use the seat instead, I guess DD just didn't have a preference.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056JGW/qid=1120762987/br=1-1/ref=br_lf_ba_1//103-4428505-5082237?v=glance&s=baby&n=542434

hellokitty1
07-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Kristine-

Are you saying you bought it originally to use as a stand-alone but now you just have the toilet ring on the toilet?

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

August Mom
07-07-2005, 04:53 PM
We do what you are proposing - potty chair on 1 floor and insert on the other. DS seems to be able to use both, but prefers the little potty chair.

Emmas Mom
07-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Yes, we tried it initially by itself (stand-alone) but it's easier when you can just flush the actual toilet & DD doesn't seem to mind just using the ring on the big toilets. :)

MelissaTC
07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
We tried that intially- 2 potties, one on each floor. But he prefers the insert seat- Dora to be eact. So I need to go now and buy another one because I put Blues Clues in his bathroom upstairs but he won't make anything on it. Only the Dora seat. *sigh* He is not a fan of the little potties...

Dcclerk
07-07-2005, 10:08 PM
We only have one story (and one bathroom, actually), and we have both-- a little potty and an insert. DS seems to prefer the little one for peeing and the insert for pooping (which, I totally appreciate, by the way). I think both together were about $15, so given that we never know what mood he'll be in, I'm glad we have both :)

samiam
07-07-2005, 10:08 PM
You wouldn't need to get two of the same potties and buy a third one later. There are a few potties where they can sit on the floor, but you can also remove the top part to attach to a toilet. I don't have time to look for links for you, but I know Parents Magazine makes one, Summer makes one, and someone else (Safety First?) makes one. The top detaches from the bottom and then you can flip the bottom over to use as a stepstool. I just bought one at Target.

lisams
07-08-2005, 12:17 AM
We had two potties, one for each level. DD used them for about 2 months and then she went straight to the regular seat, no insert. I was surprised, but she was excited to go potty like mommy does!

When she was done with the potties we put one in the trunk of both of our cars, and they have come in handy often!! So I suppose it was worth it to have 2 potties. Save any old diapers too, you can fold them out and put them in the potty absorbant side up to use on the road. Once they are done going potty you roll the diaper up and throw it away, no need to clean the little bucket out!

Lisa

loewymartin
07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, we standalones upstairs and downstairs. I tried an insert, but since she likes to run in and go by herself (no help, thanks Mommy!) the standalone is easier for her. We do use just the big potty in our upstairs guest bath (without insert or standalone) every night before she goes to bed because I'm with her and the bathroom is right outside her door. She has trouble getting herself up and on the big potties by herself, hence the standalones.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

samiam
07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Wow Lisa - brilliant ideas on the potties and diapers in the trunk - thanks! We haven't started potty training yet, so I'm glad to know those tips in advance. Great ideas!

vdrake71
07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I am just starting to think about this and I think that we are going to have two potties. I have already bought one that sits on the floor and my DS loves to carry it around the house and sit on it. I am thinking that I will be going with one that sits on top of the potty us stairs. That way I can see which one he likes best.

hellokitty1
07-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Veronica-

Sydney did this too when we first got the potty. She would take it to the family room, etc. When we got closer to the time she might actually pee in it, we stopped the carrying and told her it had to stay in the bathroom.

tigalig
07-10-2005, 09:47 AM
We used the stand alone potty downstairs where we spend most of our time. The potty insert was for upstairs and I didn't worry about being inconsistent and it worked. Surely pt dd will be a whole other experience and I'll have seats everywhere in the house. ;)

AngelaS
07-12-2005, 05:50 AM
We have a potty seat that sits on top of the potty in every bathroom. :D I don't have a stand alone seat.

alexsmommy
07-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Three baths, (one on each floor) = one stand alone potty seat and two inserts. DS actually prefers the sit on the "real" potty with the inserts, but for training purposes I put the seat in the living room by the tv. We have been having "no diaper Fridays" when we're home. He's interested but not invested. I'm in no hurry and as long as he's periodically going on the potty I consider it progress.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

momma_boo
07-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey Vivian! Nice to see you around here again.

We have a two story house but only one bathroom upstairs. When we were in the beginning stages of potty training, we had the toilet insert one. When she was getting more into it and going regularly at daycare but giving me a really hard time about going upstairs to go on the toilet at home, I decided to get a stand alone potty for downstairs (got the Graco one). It's a pain in the butt, especially when she happens to poop in it, but it's definitely been a lifesaver since Sarah is able to go on her own now. It's worth its weight in gold when I'm sitting on the couch nursing #2 and she decides she needs to pee, she'll walk over, pull down her clothes and go. Heck, she's even into wiping herself now. I'm happy to say that she's been in underwear for almost 2 weeks now with just a handful of accidents. Although she did happen to have a poop accident today at daycare (but it was also the first day of having her baby sister there, so I'm not sure if it was an attention-getting attempt).

hellokitty1
07-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi Esther! Long time no see. I've been around for sure bc work is slow. I'm going to get fired if they ever find out how much I am here but when there is nothing to do...

I'm glad to here that S. uses the potty now. Shortly after turning two, Sydney seemed like she was getting into using the potty and about a month ago, she went in the potty a few times a day for like four days in a row. But since then, we've regressed. And as every other type A mother would feel, I'm getting concerned. I know, I know - it will happen when she's ready. But when your child won't admit she's pooped when you just watched her have the shakes (as we call it), it makes you wonder when it will ever happen.

I have one package of Feel 'N Learn. Sometimes I wonder if I should use those full time one weekend to see if it works or heck, just let her run around underwear one weekend to see what happens. ;-)

Oh well. I appreciate everyone posting. I realized through this post that TFY potty I have is the 3-in-1 and the top does come off and attach to the toliet. I think we'll do the seat cover upstairs in the hall bath and use a stand-alone for downstairs since we use that bathroom as well and we won't have to remove the seat everytime.

Now if I could just get her to admit she has poop in her diaper...