PDA

View Full Version : Looking for simple (one word/picture) books...

tigalig
07-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Our dd is delayed and her therapists are recommending simple, one word/one picture books. We have two, but I can't seem to find more. Does anyone have experience with these? TIA!

JElaineB
07-10-2005, 11:09 AM
We have a couple. One is "Daddy and Me" by Neil Ricklen, part of the Super Chubby series (spelled Super Chubbies on Amazon). It has pictures of a daddy and child doing something on each page, and one word describing what they are doing, e.g., "pouring": they are pouring sand, "laughing", "throwing" etc. There are other books in the series I imagine would be similar.

Another is "Babyfaces Peek-A-Boo!" by Roberta Grobel Intrater. Most pages have a picture of a baby and one word describing their emotion/action (for example, lauging, crying). A couple pages have more than one word, though (like "I love you"). There are a few other books in this series as well.

[link:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0689812663/qid=1121011262/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/103-0213494-4980657?v=glance&s=books|Daddy and Me at Amazon.com]

[link:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0590058967/qid=1121011600/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-0213494-4980657?v=glance&s=books|Baby Faces Peek-A-Boo! at Amazon.com]

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

eb1
07-10-2005, 11:35 AM
There are a ton...probably easier to go to a bookstore and browse than to look online. Here are a few that we have, which I like, and I think are less well known:

"The Very Busy Life of Olaf and Venus" by Pierre Pratt...there are a series of four: Car, Home, Shopping, and Park. Great illustrations.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0763613894/qid=1121012445/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-9161421-3210207?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"Swimsuit," "Galoshes," "Sweater," and "Longjohns" by Kit Allen. A pale bald boy stars in them (quirky), but DS loves them.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618263713/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-9161421-3210207?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Many of Lucy Cousins' books have only one or two words per page, including some of the Maisy books; her "Pet Animals," "Country Animals," etc. series; her cloth books like "Hen on the Farm."

Also, a lot of beginning concept books have one word per page--colors, shapes, opposites, alphabet.

Good luck! Will post more if I can think of some others.

ellies mom
07-10-2005, 11:38 AM
I love the Bright Baby series by Priddy Book. There are four but we only have "First Words", "Animal" and "Colors". There is also "Trucks" which I want but haven't picked up yet.

Here is a link to First Words over at Borders. I wish they had it set up so you can check out the pages.

ETA - Sorry forgot the link-
http://tinyurl.com/bqvog

SarahK
07-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I second this recommendation. We have the Colors book and my daughter really likes it. Here is a link to it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312492472/qid=1121015691/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0111246-9572013?v=glance&s=books

janeybwild
07-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Spot the Dog books can be one word too, and our DD at 2 still likes them a lot. They have lots of different ones, we have a set of 4 of the small hard backed (about 6 pages each) that are great. Good luck.

californiagirl
07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
We're currently very fond of First Word Signs and First Animal Signs. They have a picture, a word, and a little illustration of the sign for the word. Tana Hoban also has a bunch of books with few or no words.

bugglemom
07-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Yup, those Bright Baby books are great! My DS was delayed and his therapists loved these.

The Maisy lift the flap books are also good.

Also try Peek-a-Who and Ready-Set-Go.

Also the chubby series books. There are lots of different topics and they are all simple.

You can also try flash cards. Baby Bumblebee has great ones that you can download for free from their website.

slknight
07-11-2005, 01:34 PM
These are the ones I was going to recommend as well. We have the truck one, and even though DS is now interested in listening to longer stories, this one remains one of his favorite books.

fauve01
07-14-2005, 02:09 AM
we have these learning block books that DD LOVES:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006LA4VS/qid=1121324704/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-5687108-8730457?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I got ours from Amazon, but recently purchased them at Costco as baby gifts. we have both the ABCs and also the numbers/animals/colors. i can't say enought good thngs about these books! they were great when dd was little, the books are just the right size for small hands, and now that DD is older, she reads them to me! each book is about 4 pages and each page is one thing and a drawing of that thing on the facing page. an added bonus for kids learning to pull up is the cube box (DD likes to sit on it now and also dump the books out and put them back in).

perfect for young kids! i HIGHLY recommend them.

HTH!
Anne + DD 10-03

connor_mommy
07-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I was at Costco and they had a whole bunch. I picked up some for my son.

mommy to Connor
2/29/04

luvtoshop
07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi--I have also used any board or picture book with simple pictures by ignoring the text and pick out the animal or action. For example: "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see." --Just say "Bear, Bear, Bear" while pointing to picture. Repitition is key!
One thing is important to communicate with your dh or whomever reads to your child and make sure that you are both saying the same word for the page. I found out that I was saying "Vroom, vroom, vroom" for a truck page when my husband was saying "truck, truck, truck." : )

Best of luck!

SweetTooth
07-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi Ida,
One idea might be to make your own books (because we all have so much extra time for stuff like that, right?). Well, in case you're interested, there is a CD called Picture This, which contains a bunch of photos of various objects, actions, etc. If you had easy access to a color printer, you could pick & choose which pictures you wanted to include in your book & even throw in some personal photos, family members, therapists, teachers, etc. You could put them in a small photo album, so the pages are easy to turn & printouts stay protected. This would allow you to change the pictures as needed. Also, I obviously don't know your child at all, but for children that later require some assistance with communication skills, the photos can be used for a picture exchange type of system to help supplement speech. Below is a website about the CD. I'm in no way affiliated with them - this is just what I've done with some kids.
HTH!
Andrea
http://www.silverliningmm.com/pt.htm

janettadine
07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
We have the two Olivia board books: "Opposites" and "Counting" (or maybe it's "Numbers", sorry!). Opposites has one word per page, Counting has two (the number and what is being counted).

Janet

luvtoshop
07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the link...really neat CD!

Sandra
Mommy to 2 sweet girls!

brittone2
07-15-2005, 01:01 PM
DS goes through stages where he's very into naming things. I have cut things out of magazines (pictures of dogs, cats, pictures of babies, household items like a clock, a cup, etc.) and put them onto white posterboard squares about 5 inches by 5 inches. I did this before our move as an activity to entertain him in the car (9 hour drive). I had tape handy that we used for the moving boxes...it was clear plastic moving box tape...and I basically laminated the pictures on the 5x5 squares that way. I also bought plain key rings and plan to punch holes in them and slide the cards onto the ring.

I'm not a "flashcard" kind of mama in terms of "drilling" DS or anything...don't worry ;) It is just something he seems to enjoy looking at and practicing with all on his own in the car.

It actually didn't take long at all to do. Best of all, it was essentially free as I had all of these items around the house.

ellies mom
07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
We love those books too.

ellies mom
07-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Beth-
Thanks for reminding me. I wanted to punch holes in Ellie's Baby Einstein cards so that I could put them on a ring before our trip. I'm not a flash card person either (DH bought them) but she likes to look at them. I'm also taping a picture of DH to one of the blank ones.

As to the OP- the cards we have are the Language discovery cards. They are like what you are looking for also. A cool picture and one word.

luvtoshop
07-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the reminder...I've been meaning to cut out pictures of food items and attach them to a ring for when we go to the store. This way she can go through our "list" and talk about what we're going to buy. I'm hoping this will distract her from the donut section. : )

Sandra (not crazy about flashcards either) : )
Mommy to 2 sweet girls!

tigalig
07-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Thank you for all of your great suggestions. I am stocking up on books and trying not to give them all to her at once so as to not overwhelm her, but wow, you guys are the best! I'll seriously consider purchasing the CD and making our own book for her - that's a fabulous idea too!

I'm posting another question on songs/music. . . see http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=36954&mesg_id=36954&page=