PDA

View Full Version : Need QUICK bedrail ideas for toddler bed

corrie23
07-11-2005, 07:04 AM
After hearing a frightening THUD at the end of naptime yesterday, we discovered that DD had figured out how to climb (and fall) out of her crib. We immediately took one side and the wheels off the bed to convert it into a toddler bed for bedtime (as the crib was designed to do). We surrounded the bed with pillows and spent 90 minutes trying to get DD to sleep in the bed (she didn't like it). Sadly a few hours later, we heard another THUD, and found thaat DD had rolled off the bed, hit the stack of pillows , and continued to roll onto the floor.

After a long and mostly sleepless night, DD (and I) caught a few winks on her matresss directly on the floor, but this is clearly NOT a long term solution. All of my searches suggest that there is no bed rail we can attach to her "toddler" bed (the crib is a Simmons, and there's noting on their website either). Any suggestions (PLEASE)? I'm really desperate, and don't think anyone will get much sleep until we can figure out a safe and secure sleeping arrangement for DD.

TIA!
-Corrie

kelly ann
07-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Corrie-

We are using a snug tuck pillow for a twin bed. I think the pillows are made to order so maybe you can request the owner to custom make you a shorter pillow.

mharling
07-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I second the Snugtuck pillow. In the meantime, you can get some pool noodles and tuck them under the fitted sheet at the top side of the mattress.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

amp
07-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Well, my DS fell out of his toddler crib/bed about 4x, but we never did much about it, other than pick him up, soothe him and put him back to bed. He wasn't fighting it or having trouble falling asleep. He has now adjusted to it, and doesn't fall out anymore. When we move him to his big boy bed soon, we plan to either stick pool noodles, or a rolled up blanket or towel under the sheet or mattress to give him kind of a nudge that it's the end of the bed. It won't be as sturdy at stopping him as a rail, but will clue his body in that he needs to roll back the other way. If that fails, we will try for the snug tuck or a rail. Just my 2 cents.

annex
07-12-2005, 12:14 AM
I was in the same position earlier this year, and got one of those napping pads kids use at daycare/school. It works much better than pillows in terms of a comfortable landing. The 2-3 times DD rolled off the bed, she didn't even notice as far as I could tell. Just kept on sleeping. It's also served double-duty - now we fold it up and take it with us on vacation so she can sleep on it in hotels, etc. I got the 2" Daydreamer mat off of this site:
http://www.schoolunif.com/kinderitems.html
since I couldn't find them in any local store.

Anne

Bethann31
07-12-2005, 03:14 PM
The same thing happened the first night Katherine slept in her "toddler bed." Hers is just the crib with the side taken down as well. She fell out twice, but only woke up once. I took my old bedrail from a regular full-size bed (safety first, maybe? I've had it since Josh was born 15 years ago) and stuck it under the mattress. It works fine. The pool noodle thing didn't help a bit.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

corrie23
07-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions...so far the pool noodle has done the trick. Only cost $1.50 and I could pick it up at TRU quickly. If that ceases to work (which I don't think it will). I'll move on to some of the other suggestions.

Thanks again, you really saved my sanity!
-Corrie