PDA

View Full Version : age for Kettler trike?

first_timer
07-16-2005, 09:20 AM
At what age did you buy your child their Kettler trike? Which model is best for the youngest user?
Thanks.

new_mommy25
07-16-2005, 01:31 PM
We bought our trike when DS was about 18 months. I bought the Navigator model because it's supposed to be the easiest to steer and I knew DS wouldn't be able to pedal on his own for quite awhile. He is almost 2 now and still can't quite pedal although he tries to.

crl
07-16-2005, 07:33 PM
We bought DS an air navigator at 23 months (early birthday present). It could be adjusted to a shorter reach to the pedals than the other model (I think an Air Happy?) at our local bike shop. He's not short for his age and he could just reach the pedals on this model. He's 25 months now and is just beginning to figure out how to pedal.

HTH,

August Mom
07-17-2005, 11:32 AM
We got it at 20 months, I think, but just now at 35 months is he able to peddle. We have a Happy. DS has enjoyed using it as a scooter since the weather was nice this year (maybe since 30 months or so).

August Mom
07-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I forgot to mention that the Junior is the smallest (although it may have discontinued?). The Happy adjusts fairly small.

first_timer
07-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks. After reading your responses, I guess I was jumping the gun a bit, my son is only 8 1/2 months old, but I thought by about 12 months we could push him around on one that has the safety strap and the push bar. I guess not?

brittone2
07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Quite a few mamas here have purchased Kettlers for their one year olds and used them as a "glorified stroller" basically. I think many of them have been very happy with doing things this way.

We are looking at a Kettler for DS's second bday or second Christmas (will be about 22 months).

Most kiddos don't start pedaling on their own until 2.5-3 years. So it is one of those things IMHO that if you are happy with them using as a glorified stroller for a while, it may be worth it to purchase it early. But if you want to see them pedaling it around by themselves, it will be a while.

If you search the archives you'll probably find a lot of mamas who were happy buying a Kettler for their kiddos first bday and a few that wished they had waited a bit longer as their kids weren't really all that into it yet.

I definitely think it is possible for a kiddo strapped in to enjoy the ride w/ mom or dad using the pushbar. The only other caveat I can think of with buying it early is it makes it more necessary to add some extras like the pushbar, possibly autofreewheel, etc. depending on the model. But, you also get to use it for a longer period of time.

californiagirl
07-18-2005, 01:01 AM
We bought it at about 14 months. The store told us she was waay to young for it until they watched her climb on. She can just reach one pedal at a time with her feet. She doesn't have a seatbelt or a footrest (they were out, and we were too lazy to go back), but we do have a pushbar and she has a model with auto-freewheel. She's happy as a clam with it with it locked, and a friend's almost 2-year old was in love with it today (unlocked, but he can't really pedal it himself). It turns out that locking and unlocking it really worked for the almost 2-year old as a way of proving his turn was over -- look, the handlebars don't turn any more, it's for the little baby.

vdrake71
07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
I bought our Kettler shortly after DS's first birthday. We have the air navigator. If you buy a Kettler when your child is young just make sure to buy the seatbelt and the foot rest. My DS uses the foot rest to climb up on the Kettler and the seatbelt holds him in. We also use the Kettler like a stroller. I am sad to say that my stroller has only been used a handful of times.

entttc
07-18-2005, 01:22 PM
we bought the air navigator at 13 mos. She can't reach the pedals and the seatbelt is a must, but she loves it!