PDA

View Full Version : Winter covers for baby in carseat?

amp
07-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey gals! We didn't need one of these for Jacob, as he was born in May and was out of the infant seat by the time winter rolled around. This new baby, however, is expected to make her arrival somtime around Thanksgiving, so I'm thinking that rather than mess with a bunting and a newborn, a cover that keeps her snuggly is the best option.

Now, I know there are two kinds of these, one of which goes around the baby, including inside the seat, but I don't want that kind, as I don't want anything between the baby and the carseat for safety reasons. I think I just want the kind that stretches over the top of the carseat and over baby.

Can I just buy this at BRU? Target? Is there one brand that's better than another? Will I even need/want one of these, or should I just use a blanket instead? Any advice appreciated!

elliput
07-19-2005, 09:57 AM
I used the Posh Pouch by Kiddopotamus - it was on my BRU registery and ordered on-line. I have seem them available at BRU B&M's also. This cover is tan colored with a white wooly back and is reversible. I really liked it, a lot! We had a winter that seemed to last forever this year and I was using it up until the end of May. If it was extra cold outside I added a folded fleece blanket underneath it.

icunurse
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
We have the Nano Bag and LOVE it. It is very soft and as warm as a sleeping bag. It has zippers on the back, so you can pull the restraints inside the bag to secure baby (safer than putting the restraint around a bundled baby). You can use it with a carseat or in a stroller (same deal with the restraints). Nice bonus is that you can zip up the openings in the back and baby is all bundled up if you don't want/need the infant carrier. They also sell a Gaga Bag for bigger kids - great for the stroller.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005TN7O/qid%3D1121792493/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-2215776-4688754

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005TN7X/ref=pd_sxp_f/104-2215776-4688754?v=glance&s=baby

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

mattiew
07-19-2005, 09:20 PM
We bought our's at Wal-mart (I think the brand was Gold Bug) and used it ALL the time (DD was a Thanksgiving baby)! As a PP said when it is really cold you can put a blanket on top of the baby/straps and then put on the cover. It was also great for the rain and snow because we could put down the "face flap" and keep her face warm and dry. They are very inexpensive and I can't imagine not having one for a winter newborn.

HTH!
Carrie

MEEandBaby2B
07-20-2005, 01:01 PM
I've been looking for the same thing. Babies 'r Us and Target have a really poor selection right now. I think it is because it is summer and this is probably considered a seasonal item. Most of them are the bag/bunting type that goes under baby, which the car seat experts say is not safe, and voids your car seat warranty if used (although that is the last think I would worry about if in a crash). If I am reading correctly the nano bag is not a cover that goes around the seat, but goes under the baby, unless there is an alternative way of attaching it.

I saw the Teddy Topper on several websites and I think that is what I am going to get. It comes in a variety of colors and two different types of fabric (the warmer version is polartec 200 I think). I saw it for $25 (the polartec version) when I did a quick search but you may be able to find it cheaper if you look a bit harder. I am going to try to wait a bit though and see if the stores get anything in that I like better. She isn't due until Sept. 16 and it will still be too warm here for one.

amp
07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, we won't need it until later either, but I thought I'd start looking now. Guess if there's little selection, I'll hold off until I see it. I really don't want the kind that goes inside the carseat, but want the kind that goes over top, like you.

Thanks ladies! I'll just have to keep my eyes open as we get closer to fall and see what I can find. It does sound like I will definitely want one though, so it's on my list!

SummerBaby
07-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Andrea,

I had one from Lands' End and I loved it. The one I had was slightly different from this one, but I think this one looks even better because it zips up over the face.

http://landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,1467,2_17273_52597_17713_122984_101431_,00.html? sid=6283128151408121940&CM_MERCH=PAGE_17709

I bought mine from LE Overstocks over the summer when they're cheaper. Mine had a large rectangular hole in the back where the straps fit through so nothing between the baby and the straps. I was very sorry when DD grew out of the car seat at 4 months and we had to mess with the bunting for the rest of the winter.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

Sarah1
07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Andrea--

We also have the one from Lands End (in a pink girly print) and it was AWESOME. Just fantastic--I have absolutely NO complaints. It really kept Audrey protected from the wind, cold, etc. I would zip it almost all the way up so her face was practically hidden. Great for windy, cold Chicago winters! The fleece is super soft.

amp
07-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Val and Sarah - I had no idea Land's End carried these! And I am at that site a lot! See, it just goes to show that unless you are looking for something, you don't even notice it! Thanks for the tip!

amazz
07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Andrea-
I know that AngelaS also used to make these. Not sure if she's up and running since her move, but if you wanted to support a WAHM, that is another route you could go. :)

Angela
mama to my raisin and furry mama to Chloe
~ A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

amp
07-21-2005, 09:00 AM
I definitely want to know that and possibly look at what she has, if she's working on stuff. I don't need anything now, so I've got time. Thanks for the tip Angela! I'll check in with the other Angela later.