PDA

View Full Version : Please post your favorite books for 0-12 months

jenny.d
07-20-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm looking to start filling up my son's bookcase - we're getting tired of reading the same books! I would love some suggestions of your favorites. My son is five months old so I'm looking for early books, preferably board books, for now. Thanks!

Jen

aim
07-20-2005, 08:54 AM
There are lots of threads on this do a search and you will find great suggestions.

But, off the top of my head our favorite board books 0-12

Brown Bear, Brown Bear
Anything by Karen Katz - Especially, Where is baby's belly button
Anything by Sandra Boynton - Especially, But not the hippopotamus
Baby Face by Dan Yaccarino - also So Big by the same author
Goodnight Moon, of course
Any touch and feel books
Who Hoots - can't remember the author at the moment
any simple books with one picture and the word - priddy books makes a line of little board books - like colors, first words, trucks, animals

Well, that is what I am remembering as favorites from the first year - have fun shopping, overstock.com and TJ Max and Marshalls are good places to look for many of these books at less than full price

Amy
DS Bennett 1-14-04

August Mom
07-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Karen Katz lift-the-flap books are awesome. Our favorites are Where Is Baby's Mommy?, Where Is Baby's Bellybutton? and Toes, Ears and Nose.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle has a nice cadence that DS always enjoyed when he was little.

I Love You As Much by Laura Krauss Melmed is really sweet.

Also, Time for Bed by Mem Fox is beautifully illustrated and nice.

bricorssk
07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Almost anything Sandra Boynton,
Guess How Much I Love You
Baby Signs Series
Jamberry
I love You through and Through
If you give a Mouse series (these are for a little older)
Ten Little Monkeys Jumping On the Bed
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
curdoroy

jennifer_r
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
These are the ones I keep reaching for and my daughter seems to enjoy the most:

- Karen Katz books
- I Know a Hippo by Charles Fuge - probably our favorite and worth seeking out (I picked it up at B & N )
- Violet's House - a touch and feel book by Baby Einstein - best touch and feel book out there IMO - the orange feels like an orange, the rag doll has yarn for hair, the finger paints are "sticky"!
- Mr. Brown Can Moo by Dr. Seuss
- Jamberry
- Fish Eyes by Lois Ehlert - her books are great (she illustrated Chicka Chicka Boom Boom which we also love but I don't think that comes in a board book). What's great about Fish Eyes, is besides the bold illustrations, is that all the fish eyes are holes and DD loves poking her finger in the eyes; the same is true for the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
And another DD arriving end of October!

amp
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Any books by DK Publishing or any of the Priddy (Roger) books are great. Particular favorites here included the animal ones and the car/truck ones.

Also, Chugga Chugga Choo Choo by Kevin Lewis was a longtime favorite around age 1.

We also liked having some cloth books, one of our faves being a farm animal cloth book that had fabric or ribbons that were attached to the cloth pages, so it wasn't just a printed picture. We got that at Borders, but I've seen it new at Half Price Books for much cheaper.

SummerBaby
07-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Since DD was 4 months old, her hands down favorite is Peek-a-WHO by Nina Laden. She also likes Ready, Set, GO, by Nina Laden, although she ripped the flower at the end pretty quickly.

We also have a Peek-a-Boo Elmo cloth book that she loves. She picked that one out herself at Target. :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

slknight
07-20-2005, 02:06 PM
>Since DD was 4 months old, her hands down favorite is
>Peek-a-WHO by Nina Laden.

We LOVE Peek-a-WHO. DS is now 27 months and still likes it. I always buy it for gifts. :)

SummerBaby
07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh boy. Are you telling me I'm going to be reading it for another year? :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

californiagirl
07-20-2005, 02:43 PM
DD still isn't really into plot at 16 months, so we tend to prefer anything that's mostly pictures with a few words. Like, actually, her favorite "book" at the moment for reading by herself is "Border Collies Picture-a-week Engagement Calendar 2002". Touch-and-feel books were her big favorite until pretty recently, and now she loves lift-the-flap Investigate their construction carefully; Where Is Baby's Belly Button works for us, but "Eyes, Ears, Nose and Toes" has flaps on an angle that rip right off if you don't understand the concept, which she doesn't. The best ones have a whole page over top with flaps with little half-moon things to grab them by, not glued-on flaps. Anything with a page that folds over falls apart too easily, too.

Of real books, her favorite board book that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Jamberry". In non-board books she loves "A Year of Beasts" and some New Zealand/Australian books that are hard to find here and besides might be puzzling (like, she loves "Farm Animals" but here in the US deer are not a farm animal).

Dee150
07-20-2005, 07:56 PM
DS is 13 mos. almost and still loves Brown Bear. Another favorite (all day) is a book illustrated by Anita Jeram (I forget the author)- Kiss Good Night. He didn't get the lift-the-flap books (all Karen Katz) earlier so I thought they were going to be one of the misses- loved them later on in his first year, and I already have a few torn flaps! Loves Where is Baby's Mommy especially - has the sweetest smile when Mommy is found under the blanket!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar - like a PP mentioned, the holes are a big hit.
The Grouchy Ladybug, also by Eric Carle - a bit early but DS loves the pics.
He doesn't quite like Goodnight Moon though. At your son's age, maybe Moo, Baa, La La La (Boynton) would be great too.

DebbieJ
07-20-2005, 08:11 PM
>(she
>illustrated Chicka Chicka Boom Boom which we also love but I
>don't think that comes in a board book).

Yep, it does. My aunt gave it to ds for a gift. He loves it!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

dules
07-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Another Eric Carle to add: Does a Kangaroo have a Mother too?

Also Good Dog Carl - it has almost no words so DD and I would just make up the story as we went along. Now at 19 months she sort of tells it to me, lol.

Best,
Mary

ribbit1019
07-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Touch and Feel: Baby Animals by Dorling Kindersley
Tails by Matthew Vanand
Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt plastic comb binding that makes it easier/lighter on DD. She has loves Dotothy Kunhardt books from about 5 months.
All these are touch and feel books that are a big hit on our house.

DD also really likes Goodnight Moon, The Very Hungry Catepillar, and Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems, but I do not think that Knuffle Bunny comes in board book. She loves the illustration on the b&w photos. Oh! And Richard Scarry's Longest Counting Parade Ever.

Christy
Maddy - weaned at 13 months

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Baby Grew! Yay!
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

Jen841
07-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Everything suggested is great! Jude's all time favorites have been Elmo So Big and Elmo Balls. So Big is great b/c as they grow they will interact with it.

Another fav is Animal Kisses which I found at TJMaxx. Again, he interacts with it.

Book shopping is so much fun!

aahjed
07-23-2005, 09:26 AM
My son is only 4 months old, so we just read to him while he looks at the pictures, and listens to our voices. Our two favorite books are by Calef Brown:
Octopus Slacks and Polkabats
Dutch Sneakers and Fleakeepers

hellosmiletoday
07-24-2005, 08:39 PM
DD's favs

So big and pat-a-cake by sesame street beginings
brown bear...
touch feel home
little mouse and big brown bear (I can't remember the title exactly)
what do you see (small miracles)
Little golden books bath books (she has two, one with ducks, one with tugboat)

and a cute one for bday is touch/feel birthday