PDA

View Full Version : Baby Trend Malawi Set

lucylu0508
07-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi...was wondering if anyone has used the new Baby Trend Malawi set (Nursery Center pack n' play, stroller/car seat combo, and high chair)? Saw this set at Babies R Us and absolutely LOVE it...but since it's so new there aren't any reviews on safety, usefulness, etc. Any comments will help as we will be shopping for these items very soon. THanks all:-)

daniele_ut
07-25-2005, 07:41 PM
These are mostly existing Baby Trend items with a new pattern. You should be able to find info on the other patterns (Palm Tree, Breckenridge, etc) and compare that way. I didn't see the carseat when I was at BRU, but it is the same Flex Loc seat available with the other travel systems.

The high chair is the same frame as the older ones with a vinyl seat pad, and it even comes with 2 extra solid color pads. We have the Palm Tree chair and I would have gotten the Malawi if it had been out then. We have liked the chair so far, but the cloth seat gets dirty quickly (we scotchgarded it, though, so stains come out easily). Our DS is small for the chair so he sits on a folded receiving blanket. We love how small it folds up, and I loved that it came assembled except for the casters. IT seems much more substantial than the Fisher Price high chairs.

The PNP looks like it is a bit different with a few more bells and whistles than the others.

SpaceGal
07-26-2005, 10:22 PM
We have the Palm Tree print high chair and playpen. I just started using the high chair and yeah I can see how food will be staining easily but seeing that the new Malawi set comes with a vinyl pad that's kind of cool. For me, I don't like vinyl cuz it feels weird and sticks to the skin but I suppose the wiping of dealie is helpful. I just like the cloth seat better. I will definitely have to look into scotchguarding it like the PP has. Great idea! I did like how the high chair was assembled already and I just had to snap on the wheels. So far just from looks and function I like the high chair.

Our playpen has been great...I'm kind of jealous that the new one has music inputs that's super cool...but oh well too late. I've gotten compliments from other moms with how the changing table swings away which makes it easy so you don't have to have to take it on and off. You just need a free hand to have it up or flip it to the side. I admit that the tray and storage pocket could be better in terms of storage size, like some of the Graco models have all those compartments but that wasn't a big deal to me since I would just put a smaller amount of diapers, cream, and cotton ball/q-tips. We are still using the bassinet feature and I've only taken the playpen on the road once and it wasn't too bad to take down and reassemble. I like it.

I think overall we went with Baby Trend for the pattern. I know Graco tends to get better reviews for their playpens but I think the Baby Trends are nicer. Baby Trend high chairs get great reviews being similar to the fancy high end ones like Peg Perego or Zoopers and the Fisher-Price ones are popular but I get tired of seeing the same things I guess.

The only other playpens I thought were cool were the Combis.
http://www.combi-intl.com/playyard.htm

You could wait on the high chair if you want since it will be a while until you need one. I suppose I could have waited on ours and get the new Malawi one too but my hubby likes that the playpen and high chair and my diaper bag match...I guess that way the house doesn't look like color crazy with all sorts of different colors here and there. There might be a matching diaper bag to go with the Malawi line...there was one for the Palm Tree one and I didn't even know about it until some friends got it for me for my baby shower.