PDA

View Full Version : What first DOLL to get?

McQ
07-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Meghan's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get her a doll. One she can carry around and love on. I've heard of Corelle, Bitty Baby and American Girl but don't know much about any of them.

Which one do you have, do you like it and is it a good first doll?

And what other accessories would I need to go with it? TIA!

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

squimp
07-26-2005, 02:04 PM
MIL got Sophia a Corolle Calin from kidsurplus, and it's been her favorite from one year until now (21 months). Its soft and huggable, and about $20. We didn't get any accessories, but a doll stroller would be a good idea; the $10 plastic ones at TRU are a big hit around here.

bluestar2
07-26-2005, 05:59 PM
We just got a Corolle Calin doll and DD loves it, carries it around everywhere and sleeps with it. It's small, soft, easy to hold and I think the features are very nice. I also like that it is washable. We have the doll stroller and she loves pushing "baby" around and feeding her a play bottle but probably won't get any other accessories at this point. Interestingly, she has never had a "lovey" or paid much attention to stuffed animals or her plush doll before but for some reason loves this doll. I like the Bitty Baby dolls as well but think we will wait until she is older so she can enjoy all the accessories and outfits (if she still likes dolls).

lynettefrancois
07-26-2005, 11:58 PM
My favorite is the one I've had since I was 3. My DD got a new one too, when she was born. She watched Elmo with it today. :) They aren't cheap, but sometimes they're at TJMaxx or Tuesday Morning for less. It's called the Madame Alexander Baby Huggums. Love it.
ETA: it's the perfect size!

cuca_
07-27-2005, 08:09 AM
My Mom gave DD a Bitty Baby for her first birthday, and she has loved it since the day she got it. Some people don't like the Bitty Baby because it cannot sit (no joints around the legs), but DD has never seemed to mind. Bitty Baby is made by American Girl, and I think that and the Bitty Twins are the only appropriate dolls that they make for a toddler. Their other dolls, while beautiful, are geared to older kids. Oh, you can also get different outfits for your Bitty Baby, and matching outfits for the girl, but we have not done this.

I think Lynette recommended the Madame Alexander Huggums. DD also has one of this (She got it as a gift when DD #2 was born). She also loves this doll. This one is smaller than the Bitty Baby, and I believe that it can sit. It also has a more intricate outfit on. FWIW I found a great deal on this doll in smartbargains.com.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

dowlinal
07-27-2005, 11:11 AM
DD got a bitty baby from my Aunt for X-mas and she loves it. She was about 11 months when she got it and still loves it now at 18 months. She has a bunch of other inexpensive dolls but always searches out her "baby". We have a cheap umbrella like stroller from K-mart? that she loves pushing her dolls around in. I only have the sleeper that it came with, but I really need to buy a second outfit to alternate when I need to wash the sleeper.

dules
07-27-2005, 12:23 PM
My Mom (OK, Mrs. Claus!) gave Sophie a Baby Huggums for Christmas and she LOVES her "baba". She is just the right size and she cleans up nicely. I had one too when I was little. I don't think they have changed much!

Best,
Mary

ETA we don't have any accessories but I'm thinking about a cradle and a stroller for birthday/holiday because Sophie does put her baby in the big stroller (along with Curious George), and we have made a "bed" out of a PBK basket and playsilk "blanket".

stillplayswithbarbies
07-27-2005, 03:03 PM
you can find them cheaper at http://www.smartbargains.com sometimes.

c2lane
07-27-2005, 03:28 PM
DD has a Corolle Tidoo that she's recently gotten into in the past 4+ months. Baby goes everywhere with her, including bed and car rides. It's the perfect size for her to carry.

~Carrie
mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04
& our 2nd blessing due 10/6/05

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040102/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]
http://lilypie.com/days/051006/2/5/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

McQ
07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I've decided to go with the Corelle Calin. Kidsurplus has them for a good price. And I'm thinking of getting the wooden Haba stroller too. My only hang up with that is it doesn't *look* like a normal stroller (but it sure is pretty).

I had to go google Madame Alexander Huggums. My mom gave her the Madame Alexander Victoria doll for Christmas last year. "Vicki" was my first doll too :)

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

COElizabeth
07-29-2005, 09:15 AM
LOL. My grandmother gave my sister Victoria, and it was her favorite doll. She then gave my sister's DD a new Victoria, and the two babies sleep side by side in my niece's cradle. I had a Madame Alexander doll, too, but I insisted on re-naming her Charlotte (the original name was something I thought was stupid, like Sugar Plum). I obviously still like the name I picked!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

tribegirl3
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
I got my DS the Corelle Baby Paul from Kidsurplus. It was intended as a potty training device but my baby loves his baby so much! I will ask him where Baby Paul is and he will first look at him and if I ask again, he will get him and bring him to me! It's so sweet!

HTH!

nola
07-29-2005, 07:01 PM
We got Anna a used bitty baby that came with a bunch of accessories. It was a good deal. Most of the accessories are packed a way for later when she can care for them better. Right now she loves taking on/off the one outfit.
One thing to note, this doll does not sit upright unsupported. Sometimes Anna wants to sit her up on the breakfast table, and "Baby Jenny" keeps flopping backwards.