PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Help!

kseltmann
07-27-2005, 07:27 PM
DD will be 2 soon and I think she would LOVE a kitchen. Here is my dilemma... I really love quite a few of the wooden kitchens (and have read as many posts as I could) but I keep wondering the same question over and over... aren't the plastic ones more fun? I mean does anyone have a Step 2 kitchen that they like? I like the KidKraft pastel kitchen. I am absolutely in love with the PBK Retro Kitchen. I can't justify spending $500 on the set but even if I did, isn't it really just a big pink storage cabinet to DD? I know, I know, it's all about them using their imagination, but let's be real. How much MORE fun is a kitchen that sizzles and beeps and rings? The thought of those stickers peeling off makes me a little uneasy, but again, how many years is she really going to want that kitchen?
Someone set me straight, I am getting myself way over analytical!
Thanks,

Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

http://lilypie.com/pic/050418/75e04e7.jpg http://lilypie.com/baby2/030924/3/4/3/-5/.png

holliam
07-27-2005, 07:37 PM
It's just a matter of what you want. I just personally would prefer DD to make the "sizzle sizzle" sound than her toy.

There are less expensive wooden kitchens. The Babystyle one was on major clearance and the Small World Living ones aren't that much.

Good luck with chosing the right one! :)

HOlli

dules
07-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Depends on what you are looking for. I just ordered the Small World Toys one for $205 shipped including the refrigerator. I'm sure deals like this will come up again, like the BabyStyle one did last month.

I had a wooden kitchen when I was little (my parents still have it and DD played with it the last time she was at their house) so I wanted one like that for her for nostalgic reasons. However, my budget absolutely would not allow for $400 +, and DH had to be convinced to spend the $200.

Can you see the Step 2 one in person and play with it yourself (I assume you don't want DD to see it first)? See if you think she'd like it, then decide...does that make any sense?

Any one you buy is going to take up a good bit of space and you'll see it everyday, so might as well be one you like too. (smiles)

Have you seen this "comprehensive kitchen thread"? It helped me set my expectations and make some choices/define some preferences that I would have had difficulty articulating on my own.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=24124&mesg_id=24124&listing_type=search

Best,
Mary

mommyj_2
07-27-2005, 09:12 PM
I agree with the PP that you should look around at all the options and then see what you like. There are wooden kitchens for less than $500, if that's what you choose to buy. I personally think that toys that don't make all the noises, etc for your child encourage more creative play, but everyone has his/her own opinion. I do know that the toys we received as presents with all the noises were the ones DS didn't play with long term, and the toys where he has to use his imagination have kept his interest over the long term. I guess it all comes down to what you like, and what you want to encourage in your DC's play...and then also what your DC will like.

brittone2
07-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Another fan of the child generating his/her own sizzle sizzle here :) But, I also subscribe to the same thing in the other aspects of his life. He doesn't have other toys that beep or blink or sing. I wouldn't buy him a book that "talks" either. So...it is a plain old kitchen for us :) Personally, I think toys that "do" things like sizzle, beep, etc. can actually have the opposite effect...the precanned sound effects can limit the imagination whereas the open-ended wooden kitchens invite more possibilities and creativity. It is just a matter of perspective...if you seriously prefer a plastic one, maybe that is what is best for you and DD.

FWIW we had big plans to buy a fancier wooden kitchen (elves and angels through novanatural.com) but ended up finding an MDF version alongside a curb with a "free" sign on it. DS loves it at 17 months. We're hanging onto it for now as it is amusing DS just fine for now :)

kseltmann
07-28-2005, 11:52 AM
OK, so I guess I feel validated. I had a feeling that I would get reinforcement on my first instinct of avoiding a plastic kitchen! OK, with that out of the way... Does anyone like the KidKraft kitchen? There are so many mixed reviews on the Target website about their kitchen... does anyone have any real feedback on that set? (I trust my BBBers exclusively regardless of what I read in other places...)
I know that Babystyle is out of stock on the special they ran, and I think the source for the small world one is out too...
Thanks guys!

brigmaman
07-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Check in your local TJMaxx or Marshalls as well. My mil found a refrigerator and stove for my ds around the holidays. The pieces are the same that a friend bought for much more online.

DebbieJ
07-28-2005, 01:17 PM
The source for that Small World deal can still get the refridgerator, but it is on backorder. The stove and sink combo is totally gone though and they aren't restocking it.

I found the sink and stove elsewhere for ~$140 so I'm just going to get the pieces at two different places to take advantage of the super sale price on the fridge. It's for ds's bday in December and Christmas anyway, so I don't care about the backorder.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

nd93
07-28-2005, 01:33 PM
My parents got the kids a particleboard one from Target a few Christmases ago. No sounds/lights, but not the fancy ones either. I think it was about $35. It's cute, but frankly it's become a glorfied holder for all of the play food and the tea set! I've never heard my kids make sizzle noises, but a friend has one with a timer that my kids love to dance to and then make a big tada! when the buzzer goes off.

IKEA used to sell one too. Plastic/particle board, but not electronic.

fauve01
07-28-2005, 08:46 PM
i just leave the batteries out of the plastic stuff we have... I just thought i would throw that option out for you!

we haven't gotten a kitchen yet (no space for it til we clear some stuff out!), so i am trying to figure it all out too.

good luck deciding.

Anne + DD 10-03

ethansmom
07-28-2005, 09:17 PM
bought it based on some reviews here. Perhaps do a search for kidkraft?

www.creativebrainsonline.com is reputable and has it for $159 shipped.