PDA

View Full Version : Moses Basket Safety Issues?

quartzlynn
07-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Ok, I am clearly a neurotic first time mom to be, but am wondering if there are safety issues (ie SIDS) with a moses basket. I ordered a basket and stand instead of a basinette because of space and mobility issues. We have a baby nurse for the first couple of weeksand I plan for the baby to be in her crib but after that I wanted to option of having her in my bedroom since I plan to breastfeed. I am now wondering if there are safety issues with using a moses basket that I should know about. Any thoughts / feedbackwould be appreciated!

Courtney

Cara2
08-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Hi -

I don't know if there are any safety issues, but I've been wondering the same thing. My Mom bought us a Moses basket. It doesn't really have bumpers -- it has material on the sides, but it's not padded. I was a bit concerned about having bumpers up so close to the baby and the Moses basket we have has more space in it since there aren't any padded bumpers. However, the mattress is a lot softer than a crib mattress. I've searched a lot but I haven't been able to find any info. on Moses baskets (or bassinettes, either) and safety.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-16-2005, 10:51 AM
You might get more responses if you post in the Nursery forum. I think beds and bedding gets discussed there more.

I had a moses basket and found it unusuable because when you put newborn babies to sleep on their backs, their arms go out to the sides, and the moses basket was not wide enough. It woke her up every time we laid her in there.

I guess if your baby likes to be swaddled, it would work better.

SarahK
08-16-2005, 11:11 AM
My daughter slept in her Moses Basket for about four months and was swaddled the entire time--she never really was able to wiggle herself over to the sides of the basket or anything like that.

pritchettzoo
08-16-2005, 12:11 PM
We have a Moses basket this time, and we keep Eli swaddled. Once your baby can roll over, you would need to retire the basket to avoid the baby's face smushing into the padded sides. But most babies don't roll over until 3 mos or later. It is working well for us right now! Once the baby is swaddled up, they're a pretty immobile little sausage. ;) Even unswaddled, they don't move very far.

Oh, we also have something similar to this (except ours has triangular wedgie things) that keeps him from moving in there. I think it's more comfortable for him too. I know I like sleeping with pillows wedged on both sides. Also helps keep him swaddled as he likes to Hulk out of it.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000058CC4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

g-mama
08-16-2005, 12:16 PM
By the time they could move around in there, they're too old for the Moses basket anyway, so I can't see it being a risk.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05