PDA

View Full Version : DS does not play w/stuffed toys. Will he ever? Best place to donate tehm?

kozachka
07-31-2005, 02:03 AM
DS keeps getting stuffed toys that he hardly plays with as presents. He is 20 months now and would much rather play with cars/trucks or 'read' a book. I am getting an urge to donate most of them someplace unless it's just a stage and he will start playing with them fairly soon.

Micky Mouse and other characters are def. getting donated. What's a good place to donate them to? I've read in one of the posts about giving toys to police since they don't sell well at Goodwill. Any other ideas?

DebbieJ
07-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Children's Hospital, Women's shelter, Foster agency, Dept of Child/Family Services.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

amp
07-31-2005, 09:18 AM
I think it varies by child. Mine was completely disinterested until he turned 2. Now he plays with them all the time, and has to carry certain ones to bed with him. I'm glad I didn't part with them, but if he wasn't playing with them, I'd feel differently.

samiam
07-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Ditto what Andrea said - ds is two and has taken a sudden interest in stuffed animals. He has to sleep with at least 3 of them every night!

Hippoharbor
07-31-2005, 03:28 PM
How about trying to find a battered woman/childrens' shelter to donate to? I am sure a lot of the little kids have to leave their homes in a hurry and don't have time to take any toys.

I have been meaning to see if I could find such a shelter in my area to see if I can donate baby clothes/womens clothes instead of to Goodwill. (sometimes it angers me to see people driving better cars than me shopping at goodwill stores...I always thought those stores were for those who are less fortunate; I could be wrong).

Michelle

eb1
07-31-2005, 06:51 PM
No, Goodwill raises money through its stores to provide career training and education. The stores are just the revenue source to do that. Here's a quote from the website: "We are one of the world’s largest nonprofit providers of education, training, and career services for people with physical, mental and emotional disabilities, as well as those with disadvantages such as welfare dependency, homelessness, and lack of education or work experience." For a succinct background, check out http://www.goodwill.org/index_gii.cfm/530/

So, the more the merrier, in terms of who shops there.

Hippoharbor
07-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks. I thought that maybe people were taking advantage of others' 'good will'.

redhookmom
08-01-2005, 09:50 AM
My ds just started playing with stuffed animals. He is 6! So many times I just wanted to get rid of them, keeping them has paid off.

vdrake71
08-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I get rid of about 1/2 of the stuffed animals that we receive. We receive way to many of them. I have been donating them to the animal shelter since most of them are brand new and are animals. Just another place to think about.

brigmaman
08-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Yup, here, too. We still have more than we need, but I might put some away and take them out on a rainy day. Brig likes to line them up, use them as his "patient," etc. And (I can't believe I'm writing this) he sometimes "nurses" his lion when I'm feeding Cadie. So sweet, I can't figure out a way to explain the situation to him. :)

August Mom
08-01-2005, 11:28 AM
DS was about 30 months or so when he became interested in stuffed animals. He suddenly decided he wanted to see all the stuffed animals. He picked out 2 and they became his best friends. He wanted to sleep with them, take them on trips, etc. So, it may happen if you wait.