PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in a swing

MeghanP
08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Has anyone read or been told by their pediatrician that a baby shouldn't sleep overnight in a (moving) swing? We have been co-sleeping with our 9 wk. old DS and discovered after one night of continuous thrashing that he prefers to sleep in his FP Aquarium Wonders Cradle Swing. The first few nights he slept in there for 4-5 hours, then last night he slept for over 7 hours, when I took him out to feed him (I am EBF). I bring him back to sleep with us after he sleeps the first part of the night in the swing. He loves to cuddle and sleep next to me, but won't sleep longer than 2 hours at a time before he starts thrashing around. He also does not fall asleep in the swing on his own, but has to be rocked or held to fall asleep then is placed in the swing. If it stops moving, he wakes up. He won't let me do it for him, but if he tucks his arms down on his sides in the swing or slightly under himself, he sleeps great. If his arms are out, he startles and wakes himself up. I would swaddle him more often, but it has been too hot here to do it, even if he only has a diaper on. Any thoughts?

TIA,
Meghan

August Mom
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I would do what works for you. I'm not sure I'm I'd use the swing every night, but if that's what let's everyone get some sleep, then I would do it. DS slept in the swing or bouncer sometimes when he wouldn't sleep otherwise. It's easy from the outside to say you shouldn't do this or that, but after having a baby of my own, I've come to the conclusion that only you know what's best for you and your family and you should just go with your gut on most things.

I didn't ask my pediatrician about it, so I don't have any information from that standpoint.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-03-2005, 03:12 PM
honestly I would wake up a 9 week old to eat at least every 4 or 5 hours. So the swing might not be a good thing if it is making him sleep through a feeding time.

Lmoor
08-03-2005, 04:58 PM
I agree with the previous posters about doing what is right for you and your baby. I never heard anything too bad about babies sleeping in swings - the only things I heard were to make sure they are secured and that it can contribute to flattening of heads. We certainly let DD do it once in awhile in those early weeks! The book "The Happiest Baby on the Block," written by a pediatrician, discusses using the swing to help calm the baby and allowing him to sleep there. The one drawback is that I've heard of babies who get SO used to using them that it's hard to transition them away from it, so maybe try not to use it for every sleep period? I also don't think that 7 hours is too long to sleep at 9 weeks without eating. I have had several friends whose babies slept through the night beginning at 8 weeks! Imagine the luck!!!

Anyway, swaddling also helped with our dd. We used the Miracle Blanket and swaddled her with 1 arm out! She did this until she was 6 months old!!!

Good luck!

miki
08-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I specifically asked the ped and she said it was fine. In her opinion, it was far more important for DD to get some good sleep which allowed me to get some good sleep--happy mommy + happy baby. My DD only used the swing during the day, at night she was in her crib. I did wean DD from the motion. After a while, I'd give a few pushes with my hand at the beginning, DD would close her eyes and be asleep by the time the swing came to a natural stop.

vdrake71
08-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I actually remember reading somewhere that it is not recommended to have your child sleeping in any moving object (whether it be a swing or a moving car). They recommended that if your child falls asleep in a swing to turn it off and have him/her sleep in a non-moving swing. I don't remember if I read this in Healthy Sleep, Happy Child or if I discussed this with my pediatrician (or he just validated this for me).

SpaceGal
08-03-2005, 11:13 PM
I let me son fall asleep in his swing. When I remember, and I noticed that he's fallen asleep I do turn off the swing, just in case if he gets to used to the swinging motion. You know whatever works to get baby to rest. I mean I know there's a lot of worry over doing this and that for more than 20-30 minutes but sometimes using good judgement, mom's instinct is right. I wouldn't let him sleep in a jumper or exersaucer...not that I would expect baby to fall asleep there but a bouncy chair or swing sounds fine. We did both and our son is okay.

SpaceGal
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
oops.

SpaceGal
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
sorry for the triple post

JBaxter
08-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Nathan napped alot in his swing but I dont think he ever slept in in at night. My oldest would sleep much better in his car seat at that age and I remember putting him in the crib ( in my room) in his car seat. As for the sleeping Nathan slept 6-7 hrs very regularly by 8 weeks ( and was bf)but that was ONLY if I put him on his tummy. He had a really bad startle reflex.
Jeana
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleelesdr20031115_-5_Nathan+is.png[/img][/url]
Logan 13 and Connor 10

momtogrant
08-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Meghan,
Short term I would think it is ok, however, just be sure to make sure DS is changing head position frequently to prevent positional plagiocephaly. DS had to sleep in his carseat for 3 months due o reflux and now we are going through the banding process.AAGGGGHH!
Take care and get some sleep.
Nicole

Jen841
08-04-2005, 11:07 AM
I am totally guilty of doing this with Jude on occassion for a period of time. At that age everything was stages, and nothing really became a habit (good or bad.) Sleep for him at night meant sleep for me and I was in a "whatever it takes" phase. Gosh, 7 hours sounds GRAND! My little hungry guy barely made it 4 hours a stretch at that point in time.

brittone2
08-06-2005, 01:42 PM
As several PPs mentioned, swings can definitely be a big contributer to positional plagiocephaly.

MommyT
08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
I can't speak to the medical/safety issues regarding overnight swing use, but if you do end up doing it regularly, you may want to try other alternatives periodically (or have a long-term weaning plan) in hopes that DS outgrows this dependency as his startle reflex wanes.

Our DD had colic and continued to have sleep challenges for quite some time afterwards. In the daytime, she perfected taking 25 min naps in the car, stroller and swing. I was petrified of putting her in the crib for naps for months. Finally, around 7 months I was tired of her moving bed and tried putting her in her crib for her nap (after a mini bedtime routine). She slept over an hour like a champ. We continued this for a week without complaint. Once she was better rested, there was a little crying for a few days, but now she almost exclusively naps in the crib. Get this -- a couple of times when she fell asleep in the car, she was alarmed when she woke up because she didn't know where she was!

Anyway, I just wonder if I had tried the crib for naps earlier whether she would have taken to it then and been better rested.

Good luck Meghan!

Theresa

ribbit1019
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
DD takes her 1 - 2 hour nap daily in a swing at my MIL's (Tues through Fri) She nearly refuses to take naps the rest of the time she is home with my mom or DH and I. I am speaking only IMHO, but I think that the OVERUSE of a swing is bad not only for positional plagiocephaly but also for the sleep cycle of the baby. I do not think that occasional use would hurt anything, and after all who couldn't use a little sleep with a 9 week old right? I think that you should make sure that he is waking for his feedings though.

I too used the swing at night around 6-8(?) mos because DD refused to sleep at night without motion. I believe that the daily naps in the swing helped contribute to this issue. I was exhausted and didn't know what else to do. It worked for us as a temporary fix. DD no longer sleeps in the swing at our house at all, she is too old for it in my opinion. MIL disagrees and as long as DD is with in weight she will be in the swing. I have tried reasoning with her. The only way I console myself is to know that as of March she will be spending little time over there and no more time in a swing.

DD was a very good sleeper until it started becoming a daily thing at around 5 mos, now she is nearly impossible to get down at night and as an example today she has napped for a total of 25 minutes and she has been up since 6am. Not good for her at all. She will be going to bed early tonight.

GL to you Meghan, I remember how exhausting it was with DD when she was that little. And there is always your ped as a resource. ;)

Christy
Maddy - walking finally!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

scarletsmommy
08-18-2005, 04:56 PM
I saw others mentioning flat-head. We bought a anti-flathead head rest made by boppy. We got it at Pottery Barn Kids. That might give you some peace of mind about having him in the swing for extended periods. Good luck!
We also followed the 5 s's mentioned in The Happiest Baby on the Block and had great success with it. DD is 4.5 months old and we still use the strategies on those fussy days! Love Dr. Karpp for letting us get some rest!!

megulis
08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
I have no idea about this, but is a swing too upright for a baby that age? I was told by a store clerk that the Infant to Toddler rocker was not recommended until 6 months of age. Now I started using it at 3 months, and I let him sleep it in occasionally.

I am not saying anyone shouldn't do this or that, but it may be something to consider. I know how precious sleeping is especially during the first two months!

gatorsmom
08-18-2005, 10:30 PM
A lot of swings are adjustable. The seat in my Graco swing will recline to a position that is a lot less upright than his carseat!