PDA

View Full Version : best sandbox?

bugglemom
08-06-2005, 09:05 PM
I want to get a sandbox but i just dont' know what to get. I need one with a proper cover because there are MANY cats in our area.

I've looked at the naturally playful one but the corner "seats" are so rough and bumpy that they don't look comfortable. The Little Tikes hidden treasures one looks better in that regard and is pretty comparable in size but looks like the lid might blow off. Anyone have anything to say about either of these?

Any thoughts? Also, I read one post here that said you should always cover sand with a mesh cover so that air and rain get in - it's more hygienic. Is that what all of you have found? And do mesh cover keep cats from causing trouble? Thanks!

bugglemom
08-06-2005, 09:05 PM
I want to get a sandbox but i just dont' know what to get. I need one with a proper cover because there are MANY cats in our area.

I've looked at the naturally playful one but the corner "seats" are so rough and bumpy that they don't look comfortable. The Little Tikes hidden treasures one looks better in that regard and is pretty comparable in size but looks like the lid might blow off. Anyone have anything to say about either of these?

Any thoughts? Also, I read one post here that said you should always cover sand with a mesh cover so that air and rain get in - it's more hygienic. Is that what all of you have found? And do mesh cover keep cats from causing trouble? Thanks!

new_mommy25
08-07-2005, 04:13 AM
Right now we just have a small turtle one by Little Tikes. It isn't what I would have chosen but it was a gift for DS. We live in a windy area and I've never had a problem with the platic lid blowing off. Sometimes a bit of rain will get in but we like that because you can mold the sand into castles :) There is no way a cat could get in. We have been very happy with it the past year but we want a bigger one since we are planning on more kids and we often have playdates.

For DS's second birthday we are going to buy him a much bigger sandbox. Originally we thought DH would build one but he really doesn't have the time. So instead we have decided on this one from Hearthsong http://tinyurl.com/86lxy Now I haven't seen it IRL but I think the cover looks pretty decent and *should* keep the cats out.

brittone2
08-07-2005, 01:29 PM
When I was checking reviews, etc. the Naturally Playful seemed to get the most favorable reviews overall. We bought it about a month ago for DS and so far I'm very pleased with it. THe lid keeps the sand nice and dry even when there are strong rainstorms and it has stayed securely on so far.

DS isn't into sitting in the box yet at 17 months. He mostly stands outside of it to play. I don't think he'd mind the seats terribly and I'm not sure how much he'll sit on them anyway.

Just a note to let you know we're very happy with our NP sandbox so far anyway...