PDA

View Full Version : kids book clubs: does anyone belong?

knaidel
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I have a Master's in library Science, so of course my DS needs tons of books! (My neighborhood library isn't so great). I was just wondering if anyone has joined any of the kids book clubs around, and how's the selection, service, etc.
Would you recommend joining one?

brittone2
08-09-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't belong to a book club but this site is great:
http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?N=0

Someone posted about this site before here (I can't remember who!) and we bought a ton of books around the holidays last year. They come out with periodic additional percentage off online coupons (I think one level is a disount off of $30 or more, and there is a higher %age off of $50 or something like that). Anyway, last year we ordered 20-some books for $50. There is a lot to wade through but as a librarian you may be more familiar w/ some of the titles. I used amazon.com to check the descriptions and reviews of books and several other mamas posted their lists which was a great help. Some books are marked with a slash on the top of the book, etc, but many have no indication that they are closeouts, so they can make great gifts too.

I don't know much about the book clubs but I had a great experience with this website. Oh, and they give an option for cheap but slow shipping (I think they say it can take up to a month or something??) but my books came pretty quickly...like 7 or 10 days.

californiagirl
08-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Oooh, they have Pooh's Touch and Feel Visit. This is a really nice Touch and Feel book -- the text is from the original stories, and the textures have a good variety to them.

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?Nsl=606+4294966986&Ix=69&R=0525458301B&Rt=752

tiapam
08-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Rachel-

Instead of, or in addition to a book club, you might consider a subscription to Babybug. It is basically a board book, though not quite as sturdy. I have given it as a gift for 1st and then 2nd birthdays.

You can read more here:
http://www.cricketmag.com/
Here are some discount codes (some may be expired):
U103 or H6 or H7 or H8

Also, you don't live too far from some pretty good suburban libraries (Lincolnwood and Skokie come to mind) and you should have some privileges at them with your CPL card. But I would call first because it does vary.

HTH.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

ett
08-10-2005, 04:04 PM
We don't belong to any kids book clubs due to mixed reviews that I've heard. However, DS is an avid "reader" and we have a very large collection of books that we've built in various ways.

These are my primary sources for buying books for DS (Most at discounted prices. I have rarely paid full price for any book that I bought DS.):
- Marshalls and TJ Maxx for discounted books
- Borders - sign up for their mailing list and they frequently send out coupons. People will also post them in the Bargain Alerts forum.
- We have a very large local bookstore here which has a huge, huge bargain section and 20% off everything else in the store. (It's the New England Mobile Book Fair in Newton for those in the Boston area.)
- bookcloseouts.com as Beth mentioned also has a great selection of bargain books. A couple months ago I ordered around 16 books for 63 dollars which included many hardcover (non-board) books.
- Amazon.com - Their board books are not discounted, but their hardcover books are generally around 30% off, and they also qualify for free shipping.

I know you mentioned that your local library isn't that great but perhaps you can check out their interlibrary loan system to see if you can request books that they don't own.

HTH!

TahliasMom
08-12-2005, 01:35 AM
We belong to the children's book club http://www.cbomc.com i love their book selection and they have great sales. I also get books for DD from TJMaxx and Marshalls.

ctychick
08-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Another tip about Borders - they have a punch card for children's books. You get a punch for every children's book you purchase and after I think 10 purchases you get $5 off your next purchase. You have to ask for the card, though. I bought TONS of books there before an employee mentioned the card to me.

ett
08-12-2005, 10:33 PM
>Another tip about Borders - they have a punch card for
>children's books. You get a punch for every children's book
>you purchase and after I think 10 purchases you get $5 off
>your next purchase. You have to ask for the card, though. I
>bought TONS of books there before an employee mentioned the
>card to me.

Yeah, same thing with me. I just got this card several weeks ago when the cashier gave it to me. I also wondered why I never got one before when I purchased all those other children's book. It's definitely not advertised at all.

new_mommy25
08-13-2005, 02:36 AM
Man I wish I knew about that. Borders and B&N get a huge chunk of my money. I have an addiction to childrens books and I am so lucky that my DS loves to read.

luckymom
08-15-2005, 06:24 AM
You might check with your local library to see if they do a used book sale. Mine does this 2 - 3 times a year, and each week at the farmers market. I've found tons of classic books in great or like new shape, usually at 25 cents a piece. Great way to build a library, esp. for picture books. The only books that don't seem to do well here are popups, never found one with all the popups still in place.

hope it helps!
lucy

punrocker
08-15-2005, 08:16 PM
BTW, with CBOMC, if you order online and spend $25 or more, you don't have to pay the exorbitant S&H fees per book. Of course, you might miss out on some mail/phone order-only deals, but those S&H charges can really add up.

What I did when I joined was order lots of sets, to maximize the introductory "8 books for $2" offer and get the most bang for my buck (since S&H applied to the order). I also bought 2 extra books to reduce my commitment (you have to buy 5 books at club price, within 2 years), and bought other "club price" books during certain sales.

It helps to know your children's book prices. The "club price" is discounted from the "publisher's price," but they sometimes seem inflated to me. Just beware during sales--sometimes, 30% off *their* listed publisher's price isn't that great a deal. Also, some books are "club editions," and may not have dust jackets or be the same size as the retail versions.

(Rachel, I have an MLS, too, and am an ex-children's librarian and ex-library info systems analyst!)