PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Kidkraft train table vs. the Costco version?

pixelprincess
08-10-2005, 12:34 AM
The Costco version is quite a bit cheaper so am wondering if anyone know the difference between them? Size, quality, etc? I can get a good deal on the Kidcraft so am wondering if I should just get it or wait for the Costco one later in the year? Am not in a rush.

Also what train sets is it compatible with? And anyone have pics of the Costco one?

thanks.

new_mommy25
08-10-2005, 06:24 AM
We have the Costco set that we got last year. As far as I can tell from online pictures they are the exact same set. Ours came with with the table, two trundles, and the transportation train set. The trains are compatible with Thomas and Brio though the quality of the trains and track is so-so. That being said, I love having all the extra Kidkraft track laying around for when we build elaborate sets and don't have enough Thomas track. The thing is absolutely huge! It's actually very similar in size to the Thomas table. You can see the dimensions on http://tinyurl.com/cwkc6 We have been nothing but happy with the set. Last year I had my heart set on that train set for Christmas and DH was more than dubious. Now he tells me all the time how the train table was the best thing we ever got and when he tells his friends about it I always hear him trying to take credit for the idea!

Okay, one more thing. MIL went to Costco today and she said they had the train table in again. However she said it is not the one that DS has. I haven't made it down there yet so I don't know if it is a different brand or different trains or what. I know that the year before last Costco carried a Battat train table so they do not have the same product every year. I'll try to stop by there tomorrow. We have a Costco 5 minutes away and I go there way too often. Does anyone else love Costco at Christmas? I love toys! :)

I tried to find some pictures of the table to show you in my files. here is what I came up with.

edited for spelling

kozachka
08-11-2005, 02:44 AM
No help on the difference, just wanted to say that our Costco also had a train table set on display for $125 last week. It looked very nice! I was tempted to buy it but could not justify it in the light of our upcoming move to Europe.

sdjeppa
08-11-2005, 08:43 AM
My Costco had theirs out this week, too...I thought it was early for that!

I would have gotten it, except I already have a Battat (smaller) table and train set here to give DS for his birthday that I got on clearance at Marshalls...DH already thinks that one is too big, and the Costco one is MUCH bigger.

pixelprincess
08-11-2005, 11:02 AM
angie, thank you! thank you. the pics are so cute with the nakey butt!!! it looks exactly like the kidkraft table. I guess it is for a much lower cost. I am gonna be so bummed if Costco doesn't have it this year. Waah! I didn't buy it last year as I thought it would be a bit early for Rowan. Fuuny, dh also doesn't think we need it and he grumbles about all the toys we have.

I'll have to trek out to Costco to check today.

pixelprincess
08-11-2005, 11:03 AM
thanks to both of you for your feedback. I am off to Costco soon.

DebbieJ
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
The Costco table is made by KidKraft, at least last year's version was. We have the same one Angie does and I just came across the assembly instructions last week and happened to notice the manufacturer.

I have big wooden playthings on the brain as we're plotting to buy a kitchen set this Christmas so that's why I took note. The train table was the big gift last Christmas.

HTH!

OT: I was just at the drug store and noticed that they already have Christmas ornaments out! WTF?? It gets earlier and earlier every year!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

Java
08-11-2005, 04:07 PM
We just bought the Costco one and it's pretty nice. Made by KidCraft. The theme is "Garage Town" so there's a car wash, a drive-thru, a parking garage plus a "freeway" in addition to train tracks that go up on a bridge. It's even got a helicopter landing pad on top of the parking garage complete with a helicopter!n Comes with a train, trucks, cars, people, and trees.

Has anyone managed to find a way to permanently mount the tracks on the table? We used wood glue and wood screws but Kael's able to pull it out still. Uh, let me clarify: he's able to pull out the elevated tracks on the bridge since we only used glue and then he in turn pulls out the remaining tracks.

new_mommy25
08-11-2005, 08:02 PM
OOh, that one sounds really cute. The one we have is Transportation City and it came with an airport and train station. So is it the same table with just a different train set? I haven't gone to Costco yet because I am trying avoid the temptaion. MIL told me they're starting to get lots of toys in.

whittyanne
08-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Not to butt in here - but how much is that Costco one?! I just got one at BJ's tonight and it's Battat. It's ok - I didn't love it but it came with a lower level with 3 bins, and 131 train pieces and it was $99! I just felt like I couldn't beat the price. But I love the look of the KidKraft more, so if the price is close, I'm tempted to take a look...

Java
08-11-2005, 09:16 PM
It looks like the same table but with a different set. They ARE starting to set up toys. Don't go unless you've got money to burn!

Here are some pics of Kael's table:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1053980/traintable1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1053980/traintable3.jpg

There are 2 big trundles for storage but Kael likes to dump all his toys out and sit in it instead. So in some ways it actually ends up being a bigger mess with those trundles...

ETA - The Costco set was $125.

pixelprincess
08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
thanks for posting the pics. i am loving the look of this one! i am so bummed that our Costco doesn't have the table...trekked out there to look for it today. the finish looks a bit darker than last year's (the one Angie posted pics of)... would that be accurate?

btw, i have loved your siggy line. very cute!!

Java
08-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Angie's table is like a light pine or birch color. Mine is honey-ed, like a honey maple. It's a gigantic box! I have an Expedition with Kael's car seat in the middle and we almost didn't have enough room for it. We had to fold a seat down, lay it on its side and push it through. Luckily Kael wasn't with me because it ended up leaning on the car seat. Or if I had known I was going there to purchase it ahead of time, I would have taken the car seat out, folded down all the seats and slide the box in. Anyway, get someone to help you because it's heavy as heck!

The item number for the train table is 901426. Call your Costco to see when they're getting it in. I'm in SoCA - they roll out their items at different times depending on where you live.

new_mommy25
08-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I think the pp said $125. That's about what I paid last year.

pixelprincess
08-11-2005, 11:46 PM
awesome. thanks for the info. i am in Northern CA...maybe the trucks are heading up this way! i might have to go sans baby to get it.

btw, is the train set in the pic the one that comes with the table? it looks really good.

Java
08-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Ahh - I miss NoCa. I'm a recent transplant from Davis and my parents are in the Bay Area.

The train set comes with the table (it even has a couple of trucks and cars). It's totally complete - all you need to buy are wood screws and glue if you want to mount the tracks to the table.

DebbieJ
08-12-2005, 08:31 AM
I see Kael likes to do the same things my ds does. He pulls out the trundles and stands in them to play.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

Java
08-12-2005, 05:30 PM
As far as Kael is concerned, the trundles are glorified skateboards that mom keeps messing up by putting toys in it. He's already skated under the table once and almost ran over the cat numerous times (stoopid cat - GET OUT OF THE WAY!). I'm going to have to either take the wheels off or put some kind of rubber thing on it to slow it down. On wood floors, those trundles are pretty fast!

pixelprincess
08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
omg, they have it! I just called and it is under some clothing in the store. No wonder I couldn't find it.

This might seem like a silly q...but if you glue down the tracks doesn't it ruin the mat? Is there anything temporary to keep it down. I have a vision of DS dumping stuff out to get into the trundles.

ps. We keep talking of moving but can't seem to give up the bay area.

new_mommy25
08-12-2005, 06:19 PM
I really don't like the idea of glueing down a train track. I think part of the fun and a huge learning aspect of a train set is learning how to fit the pieces together and to create layouts. We got the set when DS was about 15 months old. We would build it up and he would push his trains around. Sometimes it would get knocked over and we would just build it up again. At night I would set up new layouts so he would wake up to a surprise in the morning. He loved that and so did I. Sometimes I think I have more fun with the trains then he does. In the beginning I wouldn't do any hills or elevations because he would accidently knock them over and get frusterated. Now he loves mountains and hills so we are doing a lot of that. Around 20 months he started to get really interested in helping build layouts. He has started to fit the pieces together and he hands me which pieces he wants me to use. He has definete favorites- we ALWAYS have to include the water tower and the mountain overpass. I think if the tracks were glued down it would be fun in the beginning but it would quickly become boring and repetitive. My intention for the train set is for this to be something that Noah plays for years to come. I see 10 year olds enjoying trains. All the Thomas pieces come with a catalog and we allow DS to pick out a new piece or train every now and again. I love how he is so into trains and I really feel that it is one of the best learning toys out there. Sorry, I didn't mean to write such a novel about this. And of course, this is all just my opinion and what has worked for us. I realize that all children play differently.

There is a thing called Sure Track that you can use to keep the pieces together. We don't own any but I have heard good things about it. http://www.trainsgalore.com/SureTrack-Clips-P332C0.aspx

HTH,

SuenosDelMar
08-13-2005, 12:49 AM
ITA. I would never have even considered glueing tracks down because all *my fun* is in designing the layout. My daughter just pushes trains around for now, but she likes handing me pieces for the layout. Eventually she too will be designing layouts and I think it will be extremely educational for her.

pixelprincess
08-13-2005, 01:21 AM
angie, I agree. i just wondered if we could do it temporarily so it would be less work for me, lol. I am being totally lazy here. He has the little IKEA train set where he keeps pulling apart the tracks and putting back together. Unfortunately, there isn't enough track so I have to get involved but he has been great with putting the pieces together since we got it a few months back. He doesn't really *play* by himself and I am hoping that the table will do it. Not placing any bets on it.

ps. i am hoping to get it this weekend. Although if it is so frickin' huge where I am gonna put it?

DebbieJ
08-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Not only is it large, but the box is VERY VERY heavy. Bring heavy lifters to the store with you if you can. Or make sure you have help unloading it when you get home.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

pixelprincess
08-14-2005, 01:19 AM
I just got ours today!! It was $125 + tax so around $135. We are still putting it together but am really happy with the table and all the stuff it came with.

pixelprincess
08-14-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks for all your help! I got the table today and am so in love. Dh put together the table and the trundles and I am attempting to put together the garage, etc. WOW! What a great deal. The train set itself is pretty neat considering the cost of the whole package. I really appreciate all of your help. The boards are just so awesome.

new_mommy25
08-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm glad you like it!! If I recall the table was easy but the train set was a bi**h to put together.

megulis
08-14-2005, 03:13 PM
I would love the pictures of just the table and the set that came with it if possible.

I don't even know if there is a Costco around Albany, NY, but all this talk about it intrigues me. TIA!

Kimberly H
08-14-2005, 03:56 PM
We didn't want to mount Mia's tracks to the table permanently but she keeps knocking the track off the elevated towers (we have last year's Costco model) so we use HandyTak to hold the pieces down. Comes off like a dream but doesn't allow the tracks to fall off on a whim either.

Java
08-14-2005, 07:40 PM
We had to mount the track on the table because Kael was throwing them around. Unfortunately he's pretty coordinated at throwing so he was hitting his targets (us, the cats, other kids... ack!). Even with them screwed in, he's already pulled off a few tracks. DH calls him "Mr. Destructo."

I wish I knew about HandyTak before we had to use wood screws!

punrocker
08-15-2005, 08:00 PM
I believe the pics posted by Java (about a dozen posts above) are of this year's train table and the "Garage Town" set.

Costco has a store locator on its site:
http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Locator.aspx

:)

megulis
08-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the information. What pieces do come with the table?

I didn't think those pictures were of this year's table.

pixelprincess
08-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Hi, I took some pics today and will post them tomorrow. As PP stated Java posted the pics above. The Garage Town set comes with a Parking garage with elevator and ramps, Car wash and gas station and a Drive through burger place. There are several cars, trains, etc. It really is a cool set :-}

ps. Angie's pics were of last year's table.

here it is...still standing, lol.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/28855.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/28856.jpg

Mommaof2
08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Cute shots. Looks very cool, we must have one ;)

megulis
08-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Very nice set! And it is so priceless that it makes your son smile!

Now, I am confused. It comes with its own train set? I thought it was just additional pieces.

Thanks for the pictures!

pixelprincess
08-17-2005, 10:00 PM
LOL, he doesn't usually smile for pics so it's gotta be the set. Yep, the table comes with the trundles and the train set which makes it an awesome deal.

Lynnie
09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
I have a train table hiding out in the garage, waiting for Christmas/Hannukah, but I need a train - do you all know if the train/garage/helicopter sets are sold separately ?? I was at cosco the other day and saw the whole thing, but since I already have a table, I only need a train, or possibly a train and mat.

Thanks in advance !

pixelprincess
09-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Hmnn. Not really sure. My guess would be to try Kidkraft if you are looking for the sets sold with the Costco table. The mat is the top surface unlike the PBK table where the mat is on the wood top.

DebbieJ
09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
There's a big train sale going on at TRU/Amazon.com right now.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Hippoharbor
09-14-2005, 01:06 PM
I was just looking at this picture and I noticed that your configure gate has two doors. We recently put up a configure gate for a large area, but I was told by safebeginnings.com that you could not link 2 configure gates together. So, I was forced into buying 1 configure gate and 3 24" extensions, instead of just 2 configure gates. How did you do yours? Do you have 2 configure gates linked or do you have an extension between the two?

Please let me know because we have to do same for one of our fireplaces and it is a little cheaper to buy gate vs. extensions.

Thanks,
Michelle

pixelprincess
09-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey Miichelle,
Just took down the gates a couple days back and am going to get rid of them. We used two configure gates...a total of 5 panels. Each gate has three panels so the 2nd one was used without the third panel. The gates were just a bit short to go around completely so dh extended them by using a piece of wood on each side. No extensions were needed.

HTH

sfoanna
10-03-2005, 12:53 AM
This is just plain ridiculous!!!! I was just lookign on EBAY, and the SAME< EXACT COstco train table set is listed for $249, plus $65 hsipipng!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!

I am cruising for a train table for my 15 month old DS ....considered the Costco Kidcraft table just today! NOt sure if it's Thomas & Brio compatible, can anyone confirm if it is?
Thanks!

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Too cute!!!!!
Your son is gorgeous...
I love his little outfit and wondered where did you get it???

mommab
10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Yes, the Costco train set is very much compatible with Thomas & Brio. We bought this set for dd's 2nd birthday last month, and we looovvvve it!!! HTH

wilelm
10-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know if the train box will fit in the back of an Odyssey with the third row down? I want to go get it, but will have to drive 1.5 hrs. to get to a Costco, so I would hate it if I got there and it didn't fit in my car (the kids will have to be with me, so the second row will have to stay in).

TIA,

Sheila
Mama to Miriam, 03/10/03 and
Gabriel, 12/30/04

sfoanna
10-05-2005, 07:01 PM
HI, check out this ebay description, it has the measurements. I am planning to get one too - will ask my DH to bring his truck. It is VERY heavy - 100 pounds! I was thinking that if I had to go get it alone, that I'd ask the costco workers to help me load onto car (I think they would) and then break apart teh box and unpack one piece at a time. You mihgt have to drop down all your seats to fit the packed box?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6003905856

pixelprincess
10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I was able to bring the table in the back of my Toyota Rav4. Dh removed the seats and it fit pretty easily.

JodiM
10-06-2005, 11:29 AM
I was searching through threads about train tables, and this one had such good info, I thought I would bump it, in case anyone else was looking at them.

Cara
10-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Does anyone know if the Thomas playboard (Island of Sodor) would fit on the Costco table? Right now, our train is on the playboard which is on the floor.