PDA

View Full Version : Infant toothbrush

aahjed
08-11-2005, 11:44 AM
My son just got his first tooth! What do people use to brush an infant's teeth? Is there a good brand of infant toothbrushes, or does gauze work just fine?

TIA!
Angela

SarahK
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
We use baby toothbrushes by Oral-B and they work well. :) Also the baby toothpaste (no fluoride).

suz
08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
I use the Oral B tooth brush and it works fine for my DD. She has a grand ol' time chewing on it. After she is done "brushing", I tell her, it is "Mommy's turn" and I will re-brush her teeth with the finger toothbrush.

I use the toothpaste with no flouride. The one I have is made with milk enzymes and my DD seems to like the flavor. Can't remember the brand, but I got it at Target. I've used the oral-b and orajel infant/toddler toothpaste and she is fine with those as well.

aahjed
08-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks Sarah! At what age did you start brushing? Any tips to make it easier on baby (and us!:-) )

ett
08-11-2005, 01:42 PM
We used a wet cloth when DS got his first tooth. Then we used the Oral-B first stages toothbrush with just water (because we didn't want DS biting us!). At DS's 15 month appt., the ped told us to start using toothpaste with the toothbrush.

TahliasMom
08-11-2005, 02:44 PM
we used the oral-b finger brush when DD got her first tooth at 6.5 months and switched to the oral-b toothbrush around 8 months when DD had 8 teeth! no way was i going to put my fingers in there!

JBaxter
08-11-2005, 04:49 PM
I have oral b colgate and a few off brands Nathan is forever dropping his so half are in the dishwasher! We started using a brush at about 8 teeth before that I used a wash cloth at bath time. Water works great or you can get toddler past with out fluoride. You dont want to use fluoride paste until they can spit on their own. Check your adult tooth paste tube there is a warning on the back: Keep out of reach of children under 6 yrs of age If more than amount used for brushing is accidently swallowed get medical help of contact poison control center right away. Hope that wasnt TMI but alot of people dont realize toothpaste can be hazzardous to small children.

August Mom
08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
We used a wet washcloth at first, then a finger toothbrush and then either a Gerber or Oral-B baby toothbrush.

aahjed
08-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! It sounds like oral-b is the choice for toothbrushes.

Where do you get the finger toothbrushes from? Or are those the oral-b ones? Sorry, I'm a little clueless about these things!

Angela

ett
08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I've seen the finger brushes in the children's toothbrush/toothpaste section at Target.