PDA

View Full Version : X-Post: Cool Mist Humidifier

ADK
08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know of a cool mist humidifier that *doesn't* soak the carpet?

We started out with a Sunbeam Cool Mist Ultrasonic, and I'm not sure if it's leaking or if the water mist is simply dropping to the floor and collecting, but the carpet is wet after one use. Obviously I don't want the mold issues that might come from prolonged use of this one.

I've also read reviews on the Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier, and unfortunately it seems that many people have the same complaint about that one.

Having used warm mist humidifiers for years for my own sinuses, I know that a humidifier can work without soaking the floor, but my only experiences have been with warm mist. We trying to go with a cool mist for the nursery, but will look at other options if none of those work successfully.

So do all cool mist humidifiers (ultrasonic or impeller) result in a wet floor??

TIA!

DebbieJ
08-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Hmmm, we use the Vicks one without a problem. But then again, it was in dry Southern California, so maybe that had something to do with it.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

purpleeyes
08-11-2005, 08:55 PM
We use a Holmes cool mist humidifier and to my knowledge we've never had any problems with wet carpet. It worked really well-I always noticed a difference when we went to stay at my mother's-she doesn't have one.

Beth

ADK
08-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks Beth,

Actually all the warm air humidifiers I've had have been Holmes, and they seem to work well.

I was thinking that maybe it was the fact that the Sunbeam was an ultrasonic that made it more likely to saturate the carpet. But from what I've heard, the Vicks does it too, and it's a regular impeller humidifier.

I'll keep looking...

>We use a Holmes cool mist humidifier and to my knowledge
>we've never had any problems with wet carpet. It worked really
>well-I always noticed a difference when we went to stay at my
>mother's-she doesn't have one.
>
>Beth

Hippoharbor
08-12-2005, 12:12 PM
My VIcks vaporizer saturated our carpet to the point that I was left wondering how much of it stayed in the air and made it to my DS. I ended up getting rid of it b/c of reddish mold growth inside of it and am in market for a better one.

Michelle

kali
08-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Could someone explain why you have to use cool-mist in a child's room? Is it primarily the safety issue, or do they actually work better? It seems to me that the warm-mist ones work better and don't have the other problems, like getting the floor wet.

Hippoharbor
08-15-2005, 05:13 PM
One reason they recommend not using warm-mist ones is b/c it poses a safety hazard (DC being burned by steam). I have never actually seen a warm-mist one in action, so do not know how hot the vapor output is. I do not know of any other concerns or if they work better.

Michelle

megulis
08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
We have the Hamilton Beach http://tinyurl.com/cv6s5 and a Holmes humidifer, and they both seem to work well. I use a tray under them because I think they both say not to put it on carpet. Maybe you are over humidifying?