PDA

View Full Version : New toys for 9 mo. old now that he's crawling????

ctychick
08-12-2005, 07:37 AM
My son started crawling the other day. I feel like the toys that he was totally obsessed with a few days ago are now left in the dust, no pun intended!! LOL! I realize that he is wanting to explore and move around, but I'm wondering what kind of toys might focus his attention a bit more at this stage? Perhaps something that addresses his need to move around. I do have an amazing wood push cart filled with blocks, but since he needs to be standing for that it's more of a mommy and me toy for the time being. Up until now I've been pretty good at choosing toys that I know he'll enjoy, but now I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Thanks!

brittone2
08-12-2005, 07:45 AM
If you do plastic/electronic toys, anything he can "chase" tends to be a hit around this age. DS enjoyed chasing a big wooden top we got from maukilo.com when he first started crawling. Balls are fun too...love the knobby gertie and the O-ball (kidsurplus.com sometimes has these two balls).

If I think of anything else, I'll write more later. The push cart is great for the next stage, which will be here before you know it. So it is nice that you have one waiting for him :)

purpleeyes
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Our DS has found lots of fun *toys* as crawled and explored the safe parts of the house. Toys like pots, and tupperwear, and the napkin drawer. So sometimes just crawling around and finding new things can be fun-and less expensive. ;)
He also really really likes cars and things he can push as he's crawling. He pushes toys that aren't even 'push-toys', like the high chair!
Have fun!
Beth

MarisaSF
08-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I looked back at my notes for you hoping I could come up with a great toy. Here's what I got:

At the new-crawler stage, my DD's favorite "toy" was her socks. (Ummm... actually socks are still some of her faves. I've mentioned before that she's a weirdo!) :)

Anyway... we would put a sock a few feet in front of her to get her to crawl to it. Nothing "moved" her as much as a sock. Sooo... what I'd suggest as a great movement toy is whatever his favorite thing to hold/put in his mouth is. That'll get him out and about!

Balls, though, I think would be great -- especially ones that don't move much (the Gertie with "nipples" for example).