PDA

View Full Version : At what age do kids outgrow train tables? Is 4.5 too old?

Karenn
08-12-2005, 09:59 PM
We're trying to decide if we want to get a train table this year when Colin will be 3.5 or next year when he'll be 4.5. We know he'd enjoy it now, but money is really tight and we could afford it more easily next year. Plus, I'm guessing that Claire would enjoy it more next year since She'll be 2. But will Colin have outgrown it by then?

TIA,

Momof3Labs
08-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Our Colin doesn't play with his much any more, and hasn't for quite a while (we got it when he was 15 months old). Ever since he discovered that HUGE set-ups all over the floor were more fun than small set-ups on the table, that's what he prefers. Plus, now he likes to build his own creations which is also a little easier on the floor (less restrictive). Though if we go into a Thomas store, he will still play on the train table (their track is normally glued down).

So, I'd tend to say that if money is tight, this might be something to skip altogether!

Karenn
08-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks Lori- that's good to know. I think we'll probably pass on the table. Since we actually have room for it in this new house, it just seemed like something we *had* to have! :)

August Mom
08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
We don't have a train table and, although DS would probably like it, he too makes huge configurations on the floor and actually likes to make the track go between 2 rooms. So, I think that the kids can still enjoy their trains even without the table. Especially if money is a concern, just skip it.

JElaineB
08-13-2005, 06:48 PM
ITA, we don't have a train table and really haven't missed it. DS also enjoys making huge floor layouts.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

tsem
08-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Skip it altogether. We bought ours when our oldest ds was 2 and he played with it until his baby brother kept breaking the track. What a pain to constantly be fixing it! Now the baby brother (now 3) plays with it occasionally. I find friends play with it more when they come over then my own children ever did. If we go to a store with Thomas track they will play with it there though.
Traci