PDA

View Full Version : ? Trains @ AcMoore/Michael's ?

megulis
08-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I have read a lot about the Brio and Thomas trains on this forum, and I am going with a Brio set with Thomas train additions. Armed with all the information online, I went to Michael's and felt disappointed at their selection. Do other Michael's / AC Moore stores have more deluxe sets? Are there more that will come out closer to Christmas? What kind of sets are available at Marshall's / TJ Maxx?

I am thinking about a Brio 100+ piece set since I believe it will hold my 23 month olds son's interest more than the few minutes he plays with it at Toys R Us or our local toy stores.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

LD92599
08-13-2005, 01:57 PM
I think it does depend on the store; for exampe the Michael's near us doesn't carry Thomas whereas AC Moore has one aisle of Train stuff!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

JBaxter
08-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Watch walmart too they have a 19.99 set that usually comes out for the Christmas season ( which I think they are starting to stock). I got 2 of them after the holidays for 7.00 each. Lots of track w/ a bridge and train cars.

ett
08-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Our local AC Moore has a good selection of Thomas, but the Michael's near it does carry any.

As for Marshalls/TJ Maxx, I have not seen any of the Thomas wooden trains there (the ones from Learning Curve). I did recently see plastic Thomas sets by Tomy and the plastic sets that were also sold at Target (I think it's called Interactive Railway or something like that).

August Mom
08-13-2005, 06:19 PM
If you want a really deluxe set, you should probably order on-line or go to TRU or an independent toy store. (Actually, I'm not positive that TRU even has the big sets). IME, Michaels carries the basics - 1 or 2 figure 8 sets or the round or oval set, a couple expansion sets, a number of destinations and bridges, basic track packages, bumpy track and wacky track and the most popular engines and vehicles. If you want something deluxe or obscure, I don't think you'll find it there, even at Christmas. And, some Michaels don't carry Thomas at all.

I have never seen Thomas wooden sets at Marshalls/TJ Maxx. It's usually the plastic version (like Target carries).

Brio is a high quality alternative. If you see what you want in the Brio line, I'd go for it. I think Michaels would have things you could easily add to that set (ala bridges, watertower, conductor's shed, fire station, windmill, tunnel, etc. and trains).

megulis
08-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the information! I kind of figured as much but wanted to verify what I felt is true. Online is definitely the way to go for deluxe sets. I was so psyched thinking a $200 set would go for $100 at Michael's, but life can't be that easy can it!

Anyways, I just ordered the Brio Transportation set. It looks like a nice set to add on a few Thomas trains and accesories to.

http://www.brio.net/se/netset/brio/skin1/web/P02.m4n?id=141627

What do you think?

I really find these boards to be so valuable. Now onto Kettler trikes, a new twin bed for my ds, and a new minivan for the coming of the baby in Jan 06. And, totally OT, thinking about changing my OB, and maybe trying a VBAC at home.

HTH!

mom to little e
08-17-2005, 09:29 PM
This is a bit late, but in case you want to add on later...we did find the "Down by the Docks" set set at our AC Moore. Normally priced $149 which we were able to use a 50% off coupon - I was shocked to find it there (DH was set on getting it) and was psyched that I could use the coupon. It may be hit or miss as what kind of stock they get in. Also, in case you didn't know, you can use Michael's coupons at AC Moore and vice versa. THis week there was a 40% off coupon for AC Moore with the THomas stuff on sale, so we'll head over to Michaels and most likely the THomas stuff won't be on sale there. Definitely the way I'm planning ahead for birthday and Christmas.

Don't you love how you can find info on just about anything on this board!?

Maryann
Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!
AND Baby #2 EDD 01/08/06!

mommab
08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
M-

From where did you end up ordering the Brio set? It looks like an awesome set from what I could see in the pic you attached! I'm just starting on my Thomas/Brio (and now Costco Kidcraft) research for dd's 2nd birthday next month. BTW, what made you decide on Brio vs Thomas?

eta: Where are you on the Kettler decision...we're looking at that for Christmas.

TIA,

megulis
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I am getting it from Creative Trains for $199.99 which seems like an awesome deal to me. Some sites say it comes with a plastic green chest, but this site doesn't. Who knows? I wonder what others think. I haven't gotten it yet, but I think I will get it by the beginning of next week.

I decided on the Brio because I liked what you get for your money's worth. I think most of the deluxe sets in the Thomas line have a toy seat or box that would I think add an additional $50 (just surmising on my part). They both have lifetime warranties I think? Which I would think means they stand by their product just like Learning Curves does. I wonder if others can comment on quality comparisons between Thomas and Brio. And, I think of all the things kids may associate with Thomas are the trains themselves anyways.

http://creativetrains.com/clearance.html

On the kettler front: Since I am spending $200 on the Brio set, I was looking seriously at the One Step Ahead $99 kettler for $69. However, I have decided against that one at least because you can't lock the front wheel?. I want the $199 Air Happy or Navigator (don't remember which). I feel like I am spending way too much money on this kid, and I don't know what to do. He doesn't seem interested in the trikes yet, so maybe for Christmas or spring time next year.

BTW- Happy early Bday to your son! My son is turning 2 next month too! I am a little frazzled. I am not sure what to do for his bday.

luckymom
08-18-2005, 02:06 PM
About the Kettler on sale for $69 from OSA in the previous post, I just got mine and the front wheel does lock. Great trike!

Lucy

megulis
08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up! We did buy another set, but this might be a nice gift for someone or from someone. ;)

megulis
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification. On another thread here, someone said it didn't. Now, I don't know. Any more information? TIA!

brittone2
08-19-2005, 07:26 AM
A friend of mine with this trike just mentioned that it does indeed lock. You may want to confirm but she was surprised to figure out that hers does lock FWIW. Don't quote me on that though ;)

megulis
08-19-2005, 12:40 PM
I wrote in another post, but I did get to look at the Brio tracks and found them to be good quality. The trains on the other hand I would add Thomas trains for further expansion because I found the Thomas train engines to be heavier and nicer quality than the Brio's.

The Brio set I bought I received yesterday. (I ordered it Saturday.) I didn't open it all up, but the whole thing comes in a green treasure chest looking plastic container. I thought that was a nice little bonus! I so want to give it to DS, but I want to give it to him for his birthday. The wait will torture me!

megulis
08-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Now, I need to decide which kettler I should buy. Buy the one I want which is $199 or go for the OSA. Decisions, decisions! Thanks for the posts about the Kettler wheel lock.

sdjeppa
08-19-2005, 04:22 PM
You can do it! I have had DS' train table since MAY. I found that battat table/train set on clearance at Marshalls. Its killing me, I want to give it to him so bad! One more month, we can do it! :)

Jenny, Mommy to Zachary 9-27-03

megulis
08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Now I want to check out Marshalls! I feel like cracking out just one train piece and giving it to DS! ;) So many temptations! My husband keeps me at my word tho. Till next month!

ETA: Happy early bday to your son! What are you doing for his bday?

megulis
08-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Just came back from Marshalls, and I had a horrible time there. I feel like crying. I know it is hormones. Anyways, I am sorry to make this so OT, but I have to vent.

This 6-8 month old baby was in a stroller and was touching my purse. I thought he had openned it, so I was a little startled. Of course, I understood he was a baby, so I said gently ( you know in a way you talk to a baby gently thinking he is cute but that you would like him to know he is doing something not right) , "please stop touching my purse."

I thought it was appropriate. I would expect other parents to do the same thing if my child was touching something that they shouldn't. Well, the mother was very upset and started cussing at me, "He is just a baby. Don't f*cken tell him to stop! He doesn't know what he is doing!"

I was upset but kept my mouth shut. The baby kept touching my bag, so I just swung it on my other shoulder. I was very upset, but I wanted to find deals, so I stayed where I was. My ds was roaming around the aisles, and he touched her cart. She said, "you don't see me telling your son to stop it". Yeah, like a cart has personal items like a purse does.

Well, I wanted to let it go, but I don't want someone else to push me around. I said, "I was telling your baby very politely..." She plainly didn't want to hear what I had to say, and she started yelling at me again. I just stopped listening to her, but you could tell her friend was just inching away from her.

I am just very upset. I had two pairs of shoes I wanted to buy my son, but I just left. I basically want to cry. Why are people so angry? I don't think I did anything wrong!

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. I am just an emotional wreck because I am pregnant I'm sure, but I guess I am also having a little bit of a tough day.

papal
08-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Sorry about what happened Korey. :(
I don't understand why some people are so angry and mean.. I would be very upset too.

megulis
08-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Rashmi--Thank you for your kind words. I have read a fair amount of your posts on these boards have always appreciated your input.

On another OT, Uno's made my day! They messed up my order for the second time, and this time they decided to give me dessert while I wait the extra 10 minutes. Well, I wanted one dessert, and they gave me another. I ended up with two desserts! The Deep Dish cookie, and the apple crisp! Yum! They have been super nice the 3 times I have been there which has been in a span of 2 weeks. I know I eat way too much out. I wish I knew how to cook easy meals! Anyways, that was a very delightful way to end a sour day! Thanks and big thumbs up to Unos!

Megulis

megulis
08-20-2005, 10:38 PM
The Latham AC Moore has a lot of Thomas the train sets! I was surprised. The most expensive which was $149 was A Day at the Work set. Others included: Harold's Mail Delivery set, and the Sodor Engine Wash set. They were really full of stuff. They had the 20% off sale, but with someone's advice I just went and tried to buy a Thomas train with my 40% coupon. I even asked the manager to see if they would discount 40% off the regular price, but he said no. It was worth a try, but I was a little bit peeved and was very glad that my DS hadn't seen the train.

Oh well, I just wanted to let people know that maybe more things are coming out at AC Moore around this time of year?

Thanks for the info, and I hope this info comes in handy for others!

lisak
08-21-2005, 12:24 AM
I was just curious...where is AC Moore? We have Michael's here in Houston, but I don't think they carry Thomas train sets...at least I don't think they do. It would be such a good way to collect Thomas sets w/ the 40% off coupon.

I end up using the coupon for things I need to use w/ my Stampin' Up stuff.

TIA!

megulis
08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
http://www.acmoore.com/

I did a search, and it seems you are out of luck in Houston. Are there any other Michael's? Every store carries different things. Good luck!

mommab
08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, we bought the Kidkraft (kidcraft) train table/set from Costco Friday night for dd's 2nd birthday and are very thrilled with it! I'll definitely get the Thomas accessories (probably mostly engines/cars) to supplement, but this set has a ton of track! I have to confess, though, that we did break down and set it up already (only 4 weeks early!) - our water park is now closed during the week (school just started), and it is miserably hot here in SC (that's my reasoning at least!)!!

Re: Birthday ideas - we're doing a train theme (probably Thomas because I can't find any "young" train decorations) for dd's birthday!! Maybe we can swap party ideas!

p.s. I'm really sorry about your recent bad experience at Marshall's...unfortunately, people can be so petty!

eta: mispelling

lizziebee
08-23-2005, 04:19 PM
just wanted to add that some of the ebay stores have great deals on thomas sets. we got a rusty the boulder set for $20-30 less than TRU was asking, and the service was fast.

oh, and what is it about certain stores and rude shoppers? i had a very similar encounter at marshalls the other day, and i'm 12 months post-partum so i don't think it's the pregnancy hormones any more!

best of luck with the train search

lizziebee

mom to two thomas fanatics

lisak
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for looking on their website for me.
It looks and sounds like a neat store.

megulis
08-23-2005, 07:12 PM
sorry you had a very similar encounter. when do our hormones normalize anyways? if it isn't pregnancy, it is our monthly cycle.

hth!

megulis
08-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Well, we didn't give my ds his set yet, BUT I did break down and get him the Oval set with 13 pieces. He likes Thomas the train engine and using the tracks as puzzle pieces. I am wondering though how do you keep from losing Thomas? This is the same problem I have with wooden puzzle pieces, and matchbox cars.

I wish there was a Costco here. That set looks awesome! I still need to figure out about a train table. I wonder if anyone has used a non train table for a train table. I just don't want to spend the money.

Re: bday ideas - we are probably doing a Blue's Clues theme, and I sent out the invitations today. Where can we start a 2nd bday thread? I totally need ideas and also what to expect!

re: p.s. - thanks for your sympathy about the Marshall's experience. I guess it is a bit of a comfort to me that I can't be THAT bad of a mother!