PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your potty training potty?

ribbit1019
08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I just ask because nephew's is in the living room at MIL's.

Besides the gross factor, is this helping?

Shouldn't it be in the bathroom, or does it not matter where it is as long as it is available to him?

This is of course if you even use a separate little plastic one. DH are debating what method to use with DD.

Any insight on small training seat over the big seat vs. the seperate plastic potty is appreciated.

We still have time, obviously but I was hoping to gain some other perspectives.

Thanks!

Christy
Maddy - walking finally!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

thomma
08-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Great topic. Potty training is our next hurdle...one that I'm not looking forward to! Can't wait to see what others have to say.

Kim
t&e 5/03

Karenn
08-15-2005, 02:54 PM
There was a time when we kept the potty in the living room. When DS was first learning, the trip down the hall was just a little too far and having the potty in the living room lead to more sucess! We had no problem transitioning him to using it in the bathroom once he got the hang of it.

Check out the potty training forum on the toddler boards. There's tons of good info on potties there!

wendmatt
08-16-2005, 01:19 AM
I must confess I'm gross too! I had the potty in the living room so DD would get used to it and she likes it there. I've tried to move it but she gets upset, so I figure it's better to have it in the living room and her use it (I haven't pushed moving it for a while). She will sit there with her books next to her and read on her potty for half an hour!! We are moving soon so I thought I'd just not get it out and transition to the toilet, which she uses while we are out with no probs. Having it there just got her used to it and she potty trained at 22 mths.

momma_boo
08-16-2005, 08:24 AM
I confess that we had one of those potty seats (the Graco one) in our dining room - wasn't in the living room only b/c I didn't want it on the carpet.

It was purely for convenience. Our one and only bathroom is upstairs. When we initially started training and the novelty wore off, she gave me a hard time about stopping what she was doing to go upstairs. It was easier to get her to sit on the potty downstairs b/c it was less of an interruption, I guess.

It was also convenient that when she started to tell us when she needed to go, it was faster to go on the potty than to go upstairs (especially since I had a newborn to take care of as well). Once she got really trained, she would actually sit down on the potty on her own and go (very useful when I was nursing!).

We went away on a weekend trip last month and I didn't put the potty back after we returned and it's been fine.

For the bathroom, we use those little insert seats that goes right on the toilet.

muskiesusan
08-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Nick trained right when he turned three and had no problems holding until he got to the bathroom, so we never had to have a potty anywhere else. Not that it would have mattered, however, as he hated the chair and had to use the actually toliet like us, so he uses the inserts.

Another reason we wouldn't have had the chair out in the living areas is with a second, younger, curious baby, it wouldn't have worked!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

g-mama
08-16-2005, 12:13 PM
We kept the little potty in the family room where ds plays. As others have said, it helps them to have it in a close by, convenient place because they wait til the last minute. That only lasted for the first 2-3 weeks of potty training, and then he moved on to the insert in the real toilet once he saw the older ds of a friend using the real toilet and insisted on doing that, too.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

nicurn96
08-16-2005, 05:37 PM
We had the potty in the family room too. Actually we just moved it back to the bathroom this weekend so it was in the family room for about 3 weeks. For us it was a lifesaver since she would sit on it to watch tv and then go poop. Now she is going on the big potty and the little potty in the bathroom.

Lisa
Mommy to Lydia~5/13/2003
T2 coming 12/12/2005

mainepotato
08-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I also put the potty chair in the family room when we were first getting started. She would sit on it in the bathroom and clam up and get bored and want to leave, and then she'd wet her panties 5 minutes later! So I let her sit on it while watching tv and she was able to relax enough to go. After she got the hang of it and started to develop that "muscle memory," I moved it back to the bathroom and she had no problems with that change.

When she was big and coordinated enough to wiggle herself onto the toilet, I transitioned her to one of those little seats which she put on and took off the toilet by herself. Eventually she decided to stop using the seat.