PDA

View Full Version : Toys for Boy's 1st Birthday

remcd88
08-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi-

My son Jonathan is turning 1 in a few weeks. I have two older daughters and really haven't purchased anything for Jonathan toywise. He got a few toys for the holidays (the fp rumbling tumbling truck, & a soft rolling firetruck) & has all the leftover baby toys from the girls . Neither of the trucks or baby toys really hold his attention. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Gabrielle 8/99
Hillary 5/01
Jonathan 9/04

brittone2
08-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Wagon
Pushable trike
Balls (gertie or O-ball)
outdoor toys for later like a slide, playhouse, or swing
musical instruments (maracas, tambourine, drum, etc.)
Large knob puzzles (Melissa and Doug make some giant knob puzzles that are good from 12-18 months or so)
Easel and art supplies
Pretend play kicks in around 18 months so things like a wooden kitchen and accessories could be nice if you don't care if he uses it immediately
Similarly, things like the Holztiger animals are nice, or if you don't mind plastic, the Little People sets
Nice set of unit blocks (Barclay blocks are well-loved on this board; we have a less expensive Melissa and Doug set and don't mind them at all)

ETA: My DS got interested in trains around 15 months or so, which I think is a bit on the early side. Again, if you don't necessarily mind him growing into them, a nice figure 8 train set or a starter set from Ikea could be a nice idea. He might not be ready for it for a few months more, but again, something you can add to in the future and he could grow into.

There are a couple of old threads with gift suggestions for each age if you want to dive into those :)

Happy almost 1st birthday to Jonathan :)

remcd88
08-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks so much for the ideas! Many of them we already own from our older two girls. We don't have any of the wooden animal sets, thought. I did save the LP sets from my daughters but haven't pulled them out yet.

Thanks again,

Rebecca :)

tsem
08-17-2005, 06:45 AM
I have two boys and now a girl and I can say that at 16months she doesn't really "play" yet too much. She will carry around her baby doll and push it in the little stroller but that is it. We too have lots of toys from the older brothers and she doesn't really play with them yet. I think she is so busy watching them play and run around that she is kept pretty busy. The only other thing she likes is the leapfrog shopping cart that we already had. For her 1yr birthday she got a doll from her grandparents and one from us- not much needed with two older siblings! For Christmas she is getting a Kinderzeat.
Traci

jse107
08-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Our son just celebrated his 1st birthday last week. We bought him the FP Cozy Convertible Car. He also got some wooden puzzles with knobs, the Little Tikes workbench (a BIG hit), the FP Corn Popper (a classic), two trucks, and his favorite--a Kettler trike. We bought the one from OSA. I didn't think he would be ready yet, but we got the footrest and he loves it. He "rides" up and down the street waving to whoever he can--like he's on a parade float!

Good Luck!

JacksMommy
08-17-2005, 02:32 PM
If you don't already have pounding ball game, those are always a hit. Parents makes a good one (available at Target).
Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04