PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Questions for experienced parents:) TIA!

feierabend35
08-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Of all the baby products to research, the monitor has been the most frustrating. I know that a monitor can work great for one, horrible for another, but I need some help deciding which to register for (knowing I may need to exchange if it doesn't work).

Here's my situation:
Live in a 2-story house and based on friend recommendations I think we would like two receivers. We have two cell phones, two cordless phones (one 900mhz and one 2.4ghz), and a Mac airport w/ two laptops that could all potentially interfere. We would like one that has a good range (big yard) and rechargable batteries, water resistancy are bonuses.

I know the Sony BabyCall is a big hit here, but you can only get it with one receiver. If that is your favorite, do you miss the convenience of two? Right now we have picked out the Fisher Price 900mhz dual receiver monitor, which is 47$ at Target, so 3$ more for the babycall would be no big deal.

I did a search of this topic and they are all OLD, so any suggestions would be super appreciated! I am amazed at the vast amount of knowledge on this board!
JENN :)

Hippoharbor
08-17-2005, 11:41 AM
I live in a 3-story townhouse and have mix of wireless internet both 900mHz and 2.4GHz phones. My sony babycall monitor occasionally will make a squaking sound; I do not know if this interference or just monitor acting up. It does get very clear reception, otherwise, but as you mentioned, only has one receiver. I have carried mine around the house without a problem, except having to plug/unplug or worry about battery dying.

Have you considered a video monitor? I got one a month ago when DS was 5 months old, and this is the one purchase that I wish I had gotten sooner. I love being able to see him sleeping/playing in crib, etc. Some of these can get two monitors with it. I bought the Summer Infant monitor at Target for $99. His bedroom is two floors above where we keep the monitor and we get fairly good reception of the picture, although the audio portion gets static coming through, so I usually keep it turned down.

Good luck.

Michelle

feierabend35
08-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Michelle,
So, do you use both monitors or just the video monitor? I guess I just thought a video monitor might be overkill. I also liked the idea of the Angelcare monitor at first, but worried that was overkill, too. I'm trying not to overdo everything like I have been diaper bags :)
I'll take any advice, though!
Jenn

Bearhut
08-17-2005, 12:10 PM
We have the Angelcare monitor and LOVE it. If you use the movement monitor, just be prepared for "False Alarms". I was a super paranoid new-mom so I needed the reassurance of the movement monitor. Now that DD is a toddler, we just use the sound monitor when we are on a different floor from her room. With cordless phones, wireless internet and my DH's other electronic toys, we have had NO problems with interference. We only had one parent unit to begin with and ordered a second from the company. One was kept plugged-in in our bedroom and the second roamed the house with us.

Bearhut
08-17-2005, 12:10 PM
We have the Angelcare monitor and LOVE it. If you use the movement monitor, just be prepared for "False Alarms". I was a super paranoid new-mom so I needed the reassurance of the movement monitor. Now that DD is a toddler, we just use the sound monitor when we are on a different floor from her room. With cordless phones, wireless internet and my DH's other electronic toys, we have had NO problems with interference. We only had one parent unit to begin with and ordered a second from the company. One was kept plugged-in in our bedroom and the second roamed the house with us.

melissaflorida
08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
We used the Angelcare & the Mobicam Video for the first 9 months. Now we only use the video monitor. I guess I was a super paranoid first time Mommy!

~Melissa

jenny76
08-17-2005, 01:51 PM
We have the Graco UltraClear monitor. It comes with two receivers, has both sound and lights and uses either an adapter or batteries. It only has two channels, one of which is the same as the one my next door neighbor's is on, but we just keep it on the second channel and have no problems. No interference with our two cordless phones (one is an 8 year old AT&T and the other is a plain old 900 mHz Uniden) or from other people's phones. It's worked very well for us.

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=2755GM&CategoryID=7

vdrake71
08-17-2005, 03:11 PM
I have both fisher price models (900mhz and sounds & lights) with the dual receivers and I can tell you that I do not mind the mild interferance that I get to the convenience of the dual monitors. The dual monitors were one of the things that a monitor must have inorder for me to purchase it. I was also looking at the evenflo brand, but did not like the idea that I could not purchase it from a store so incase I had to return it.

Hippoharbor
08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
We use the baby call receiver in our bedroom at night and I keep the summer infant video monitor in the family room, so I can watch him during naps and before we go to bed.

feierabend35
08-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks, everyone, for their recommendations! If we get extra money in our monitor budget (or find a great deal online) I might just invest in a video monitor, but for now we'll keep our registry like it is. . .
JENN :)

ainwonderland
08-19-2005, 09:01 AM
I also have both FP models. Started with dual receiver set of Sounds and Lights (love 2 receivers), BUT when I took it to my mom and dad's house I couldn't get a signal down at the lake (which really isn't THAT far). But I can get a signal all the down there with the 900MHz version. I also like that it has a vibration setting so that if I were sitting at a bonfire I could "feel" if my kids were awake rather than broadcasting to everyone or constantly staring at lights :-)

We leave the 900MHz there and still use the S&Ls at home with all sorts of cordless phones and a wifi network as well. The only thing that seems to interfere with it is when my DH runs a remote control car around the yard for the kids.

Good Luck!

feierabend35
08-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Thank you very much for the info! At the lake was one ? I was wondering about. I hope it works out!
Jenn