PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused about train sets

KrisM
08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
I am starting to figure out Christmas gifts for DS. I think I'd like to get a train set. I was at Target today and they have plastic Thomas sets. I was expecting the track to be wood. They had inexpensive wood sets with something like 200 pieces for $20 or $30. I like the idea of wood.

So, should I get wood or plastic?
Do I need Thomas? DS has no idea who Thomas is.
Are the inexpensive sets compatible with other sets?

Just point me to what I need, please!

thanks

ETA: They all said for ages 3 and up. DS is only 15 months now. Is there another set I should look for for younger kids?

pritchettzoo
08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
I am no expert as we've just gotten the train table and are venturing into this new world ;)

Some of the Plastic Thomas stuff from Target is compatible with wooden stuff--I think the Thomas on the go or to go is NOT.

We bought a basic wooden Thomas set at Michael's with the 40% off coupon. It's a figure eight set with a bridge and a little conductor thingie and it came with 3 trains. We got another Thomas circus set with a coupon because it was cute and a good price. We'd also picked up some wooden (Battat) train track at Marshall's on clearance. There is a big difference quality-wise IMO between the Thomas track/trains and the clearanced stuff. It's so much smoother and easier to put together and the trains are heavier and move more smoothly.

I read here to get a basic oval or figure eight set to start and then add on pieces. At first, that is going to be PLENTY for your DS at his age. I would get the set at Michael's or AC Moore when you can use the coupon (sometimes they're on sale for 20% off and the coupon's only good for regular priced stuff). Then get some Thomas expansion track as you find it on sale or have other coupons. Or other pieces. Personally, I think the water tower thingie is very cool and I want it to play with! ;) Beware going to the store with DH or you'll wind up buying way too much! If you do want to start with a humongous set, www.creativetrains.com has what seem to be good prices, and they have good customer service (well, I've only ordered from their twin company www.creativebrainsonline.com but I think it's the same people).

HTH!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

Edited to correct Battat brand--not Brio--that I felt was inferior to Thomas brand.

megulis
08-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Is there a way you could verify if the clearance train you bought is a brio? Brio has very expensive stuff as well. Anyone else care to comment on the quality of Brio?

KrisM
08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks!

So, they are compatible mostly. The Brio stuff works with the Thomas stuff? That's nice to know. I'll have to check out the Thomas stuff. Quality is worth the money.

Thanks for the links, too.

This shouldn't be so darn confusing!

By the way, at our Michael's, you can ask for a sale item to be rung up full price so that you can use the 40% off coupon. It seems like half the time, I want to use the coupon on something that's on sale.

ett
08-18-2005, 04:03 PM
The Thomas Take Along sets sold at Target have die cast metal trains and are not compatible with the wooden Thomas trains. (I think the Take Along tracks are plastic.) We decided on wood because most of the wooden sets are compatible with each other and we like the look of wood better. We bought a 100 piece generic set from Target on clearance last Christmas and have added on Thomas and Brio trains along the way. MIL also just bought DS the Thomas water tower figure 8 set for his birthday, so we'll get to compare how superior the Thomas tracks are compared to the generic tracks. I never had any plans to buy exclusively Thomas as I actually like the hodge podge of trains we have.

muskiesusan
08-18-2005, 08:38 PM
We have a mix of Brio and Thomas and I think they are equally well made. The Thomas track has ridges on them like railroad ties (I think that is the purpose) whereas the Brio is smooth. We have more Thomas as the selection is larger, but I tend to pick up track as I see it on sale (you will find you never have enough track!).

Kris-I would start with a basic Figure 8 set. Alex loves playing with our trains and loves pushing the cars down the hills. It is very cute to watch!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

darby24
08-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Brio is excellent quality. I have the stuff from when I was a kid and it's taking a beating with my nephews right now, but still not showing any wear. I personally prefer Brio to Thomas, but that's mainly because that's what I grew up on :-)

Blue94
08-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Any comments on the TC Timer sets sold at maukilo.com? They're awfully pretty wooden sets.

new_mommy25
08-19-2005, 01:26 AM
The plastic THomas Interactive Railroad is compatible with wooden Thomas sets because they are made by the same company. The Take Along set is made by Tomy and not compatible.

Here is a link to the Interactive Railway
http://tinyurl.com/8n4ta

JBaxter
08-19-2005, 07:22 AM
We have wood and alot of our track ( and we have LOTS) is from cheeper no name sets. All of it is from my older 2 DSs which makes its 5-10yrs old and very few pieces have broken. We only buy the Thomas/Brio cars and a few accessory buildings. Nathan is 21 months and has been playing with the car for a few months. I would suggest 1 battery powered engine He LOVES to sit and watch it go around. We have lots of fun here is our last layout.
Jeana

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/28904.jpg

August Mom
08-19-2005, 07:45 AM
I would start with a figure 8 set from either Thomas or Brio. If he's not into Thomas, I would probably go with Brio. Brio actually has a large track and train set for little kids, but personally I'd skip it and go with the regular size that you can expand later. I would go with wooden track all the way.

KrisM
08-19-2005, 07:57 AM
How fun! I think DS would love the battery operated train. Thanks for that idea!

KrisM
08-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll skip Thomas. The only time he's seen it was months ago at the Lionel Train Factory tour. It was just another train to him.

ainwonderland
08-19-2005, 08:47 AM
I could be wrong (as I just purchasd my first figure 8 track for my daughter's 3rd birthday next week) but I thought I remember hearing somewhere (probably here!) that the ridges in the Thomas track help the battery operated trains move better (particularly up the hills)???

And to the OP, your 15 month old must be much more calm than mine :-) I'm already seeing him trying to lift the track up and play Destructo Man with Macey's train layouts :-) And while our 15month old has NO idea who Thomas is, his soon to be 3yo sister DEFINITELY does just from some of the board books people have bought us and train sets at her friends houses.

We bought her the Knapford Bridge Figure 8 set at Micheal's with a 40% off coupon to start with and gave suggestions to the Grandparents for the expansion kit and water tower. I think the Thomas KB set was $49.99-40%= $30.

We have a plastic battery operated circus train set that they love to watch go round and round but it is very difficult to get the track together and stays locked so tightly that our 15mo Max can pick the entire thing up and it doesn't come apart--well at least until he gets excited and starts thrashing it around :-)

Best of luck

megulis
08-19-2005, 12:32 PM
I went yesterday and looked, and I think the Brio train tracks are very nice. However, I found the Thomas train engines to be heavier and better quality than the Brio trains. I couldn't compare the tracks because they weren't on display, but the Brio train tracks were nice and smooth. Both the Brio trains and Thomas trains rolled on them nicely.

KrisM
08-19-2005, 01:53 PM
>
>And to the OP, your 15 month old must be much more calm than
>mine :-) I'm already seeing him trying to lift the track up
>and play Destructo Man with Macey's train layouts :-)

Well, he's definitely into destruction at times. But, he's very deliberate. My nephews make a tower of blocks and want him to knock it down, but he very carefully walks around it and doesn't even touch it. Drives my nephews nuts! So, I think he'd play with it.