PDA

View Full Version : if you could only have one: kitchen or dollhouse?

sdbc
08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
This is a little bit ahead for us, but I was just curious: if you only had space for either a kitchen set or a dollhouse, which would you choose and why? I had a kitchen when I was little and loved it, but I never had a dollhouse.

Also, at what age did your DC really appreciate it?

Thanks!

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

bettyetters
08-22-2005, 04:10 PM
I would vote for dollhouse. My dd (2 1/2) enjoys her kitchen but really really loves her dollhouse and all her "people". It's definitely her all time favorite everyday play activity :)

We got her the Little People Sweet Sounds Home for her 1st birthday and she's grown in her play with it since then. It's definitely a wonderful first doll house. I'm thinking I'll have to get her one with more accessories/furnishings, more of a true dollhouse around 3 or so but it's been great for the past year and a half. But she definitely wouldn't have been ready for it nearly as soon as she's been able to enjoy the FP LP one.

She got her kitchen for her second birthday and has enjoyed it since that time.

Betty

JacksMommy
08-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I would choose a kitchen because kids of both genders and many ages seem to love them. Dollhouses seem to be hit or miss - some kids love them, others couldn't care less. My DS has loved his kitchen since we got it at 18 months. At that point, he mainly liked putting things in and out of the stove and on and off the shelves, but his play has evolved over time. :)

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Globetrotter
08-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Definitely the kitchen. Every kid who comes over seems to love that thing :) The dollhouse isn't played with much, but that could also be because it's upstairs. However, I would still definitely say kitchen because it's used all the time!

Kris

ctmom
08-23-2005, 08:34 AM
We have both, but if we had to pick just one it would be the kitchen. DD#1 can play "house" either in her room, where her dollhouse is, or she takes her dolls, plus barbies, stuffed animals, baby dolls and other various "people" and plays all over the house with them, so she doesn't really need the dollhouse to play with the dolls etc. I think dd#2, because all the toys are already around the house has picked up on "pretend play" sooner that dd#1 did. DD#1 really began using her imagination around her 2nd b-day but #2 has loved dolls and playing kitchen for a few months now...

dd#1 4 1/2
dd#2 19 months