PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on Todddler Art Box

new_mommy25
08-25-2005, 06:09 PM
My baby turns two in less than two weeks. One of the gifts DH and I have planned for him in an easel and an art box. We're probably going with a plastic Little Tikes or Step2 easel just because I want to keep it outside and hose it down when it gets messy.

For the art box I'm going to get a plastic rolling cart with drawers. That seems like the easiest way but if anyone else has a suggestion I would love to hear it.

I am planning to put inside:

crayons
construction paper and drawing pads, recycled computer paper (from my work)
safety scissors
smock (possibly just an old tshirt of mine)
washable paints
brushes
paint with water book
washable markers
chalk
glue stick (or would white glue or paste be better?)
stickers
pompoms, googly eyes, pipe cleaners and whatever else strikes my fancy at the Walmart.
spill free paint containers. I think they're made by Alex.
yarn

some things I'm on the fence about

Crayola Color Wonder. Are they worth it? It seems expensive but might be a fun task.
Colored pencils. Worried that he might stab himself in the eye or something. But I could just be acting overprotective.
Pay doh. He's played with it a few times but was pretty uninterested. Plus it seems very messy. Is he too young?

How does the list look? Am I missing something? Any advice?

TIA!

Lucia
08-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Read the book Young at Art!!! I read it after recommendations for it here and I wish I had read it sooner! Great resource for fostering your child's creativity, learning how to introduce different concepts/medium, and building your own art supply collection. Excellent book that should be required reading for all teachers and parents!

I think your list looks great. I am a big fan of the color wonder stuff for travel or for times when mess can be an issue (visiting others' homes, restaurants,etc). Try a few of the markers or fingerpaint...I think they sell a small travel/trial set. I wouldn't include the pencils right now. As far as playdough, try making your own...their are some recipes out there...apple cinnamon, chocolate, etc.

I just ordered some great paint cups from Lakeshore Learning that are spillproof. I also ordered tempera paint, paint brushes, and large paper from them. www.lakeshorelearning.com Another art supply that is a big hit in our home are the Crayola Slick Stix (sp?) Chubby, crayons that are encased in plastic so they won't break like regular crayons and are even smoother,bolder than regular crayons.

What a great birthday gift for your son! Have fun celebrating his birthday!

redhookmom
08-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I am not sure you want your son to have access to all of that stuff all of the time???
We have an art closet but the kids are not allowed in there without Mom. What they are allowed to use at any time is their art boxes. I bought tool boxes from Lowe's and filled them with things that can be used at any time. (There is no paint in there. :-)) I decorated the outsides of the boxes and they have been a big hit.

new_mommy25
08-27-2005, 03:00 PM
JEssica, if my son could have access to all of that stuff it would be a nightmare. I keep crayons locked up because he drew a long black mark on the carpet that I haven't gotten out. And those were the washable crayons. The rolling chest will stay in the closet and I will pull it out when we are going to use arts and crafts. Basically I just want everything organized in one place. When we do crafts now I usually pull out my scrapbooking supplies but I don't like to share ;)