PDA

View Full Version : Last Year's Ocean Wonders Aquarium vs. Flutterbye Dreams

phirey
08-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Several months ago there was a lot of buzz on here about the FP Ocean Wonders Aquarium being discontinued, so I hurried out and bought one. It's still unused, although DH pulled it out the other day and put batteries in it to see what it does. I know I'm not a baby, but I'm not too impressed.

I DO think this thing looks cool:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002XO5TM/qid=1125280958/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9030354-3490430?v=glance&s=toys&n=507846

The reviews on it seem to say it's better than the aquarium.

Any opinions?

vikivoly
08-28-2005, 11:00 PM
We have both. The Aquarium was for my older daughter and the Flutterbye is for my baby. DD#1 LOVED her aquarium and although she is sleeping in a twin bed, still has it setting on her nightstand. She won't let me put it away, although she no longer uses it. DD#2, likes her Flutterbye, but doesn't miss it when it runs out of batteries. Now, I'm not saying the Aquarium is better, because DD#2 has completely different interests than DD#1 did/does. I like that the Flutterbye one projects on the ceiling and I think that for newborns it's more noticeable than the Aquarium. But, I think the fish are more soothing than the birds are, plus the Aquarium has some buttons to play with and the Flutterbye doesn't. Essentially, if the Aquarium had the projector, I would say get that one. Honestly it's what the baby gets used to.

NatalieM
08-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I agree with the PP. DD is 3 1/2 months and we have both. The Aquarium puts her right to sleep. I'm not sure if its the bubbles or the way the lights dim or the little fishies, but it does the trick. *I* really like the Flutterbye soother. DD seems to also like the soother, HOWEVER, it does not put her to sleep. It has the opposite effect. She stares at the projection on the ceiling and literally talks to it (baby talk of course :-) ) They both get used in our house but for different reasons. The soother plays a while longer than the Aquarium does if that makes a difference.

In time this may change and the Flutterbye soother may assist her in going to sleep too. Either way I'm glad I have both!

tigalig
09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
We have the Flutterbye dreams one and dd is obsessed with it! I hear it come on throughout the night and she must have it on to go to sleep. I'm guessing she'll be using it for a long, long time and I don't mind replacing the batteries every couple of weeks if it means I get to sleep through the night. ; )

I had the old Aquarium for ds (now 4 yo) and I pitched it when I saw the water rusted some of the inside. Yuk!