PDA

View Full Version : Another bike like Like-a-bike

reyn74
08-29-2005, 11:30 AM
I noticed in my recent Back to Basics catalog that they have a bike similar to the Like-A-Bikes, but a lot less expensive.

http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/showitem.aspx?productID=5779%20%20%20%20%20%20&nav=catPS

The one thing I noticed from this picture is that it looks like the handles do not turn at all, but I could be wrong about that. I got the Kettler one from Maukilo, and I really love it. I would think that being able to steer the bike teaches important skills, but from watching the kids who have been riding ours, some just pick up the front wheel to turn it anyway.

My almost 6 year old has been very afraid of riding his bike with training wheels, but loves his Kettler "scooter bike". I think in a few weeks he'll be ready to try his bike with no training wheels. This was exactly what he needed to learn that riding a bike can be fun. My 4 year old has not tried the Kettler enough to be impressed by it, but the main reason is his brother is on it all the time, and that we would need to adjust the seat height each time they swap (with a wrench). If my older son was a year younger, I'd get two in a heartbeat, but he really needs to get on his pedal bike, he is just about too big for the Kettler (and he's small for his age). The Kettler is a 12 in frame, and his pedal bike is a 16 in.

I would never ever suggest to anyone to get a 12 in bike with pedals after seeing what the kids can do with the Kettler. The small bikes take so much energy to pedal, because the wheels are so small. But the Kettler really zooms around. It looks like so much more fun to ride than their regular bikes (but my kids are not too into their bikes).

Anyhow, I thought it was funny I saw this other bike so soon after convincing my DH that it would be almost impossible to find one of these bikes anywhere but maukilo. This might be an option for anyone who wants a wood bike, but does not want to spend as much as the L-A-Bikes. Just from looking at them, I think my boys will like the Kettler better, because to me it looks more like a big kid bike, and less like a ride on toy.

-Sarah and Griffin 10-15-99 and Talon 08-13-01, and Orion 08-26-04