PDA

View Full Version : When to buy a push/walker toy?

NatalieM
08-31-2005, 01:50 PM
DD will be 7 months at Christmas and I really wanted to get her a push/walker type toy. DH thinks it's too early. I think it's b/c he saw my Christmas list for Reagan! She'll be 1 in May and I'd rather her have it by her 1st birthday. Is that crazy? Or should I just wait and get it for her in May? Decisions, decisions...

BeachBaby
08-31-2005, 02:17 PM
I think 7 months is too early (at least for her to *use* it), but 1 year is probably too late. At least in my experience. Our daughter was 6+ months at Christmas last year, but I put one on my ILs list for her. I think we broke it out for her to use around April (she was 9 mos?). She could stand at it, but would fall forward if she tried to walk. I think she had it mastered in May sometime, and then started walking on her own in June, when she was 11 months.

Hm. Anyway, enough about me. :) If your only two options are her b-day and Christmas, I'd go for Christmas. Is there someone else who can buy it for her? I was very specific about which one I wanted.

muskiesusan
08-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Well, it really depends on the baby. I got Alex a push walker for Christmas when he was 8 months and much to my surprise, he stood up and started walking behind it.

So, I would go ahead and get it for Christmas as it would look good under the tree for pictures! At this age, it's all about us anyway!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

kjezierski
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
It really depends on the baby. DS started using his about the same time he started cruising.

Kathleen
Mommy to Alex
04/29/04

SarahK
08-31-2005, 04:38 PM
My daughter was full out walking at 9.5 months, so in my opinion, 7 months is a perfect timeframe to get her that! Plus there is nothing wrong with getting her a toy she will grow into.

brittone2
08-31-2005, 04:42 PM
It will most likely be used around the time your child is cruising pretty well as a PP mentioned. At Christmas she may or may not be ready to use it (most likely not unless she's on the very early end of things developmentally) but you'll most likely want it before she's a year old.

We buy things "in advance" for holidays all the time that DS won't be ready to use right away. I just make sure to balance it with things he will be able to use and enjoy immediately, or make sure it is something I can somehow modify/simplify so that he can enjoy it earlier.

HTH

deannanb
09-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Ask for it for Christmas. DS is 10 months old. Once he started pulling up I thought about getting one and then got a hand-me-down one that converts into a car. Here is the link for this one: http://tinyurl.com/dqs7g

Most of the ones I have seen can be used flat for the kids to play with. At 7 mo DS would have played with the toy part. I think I am going to get one for downstairs. Here are the links for the two I'm looking at:

http://tinyurl.com/b5ajd
http://tinyurl.com/79oqo

Deanna

new_mommy25
09-04-2005, 01:26 PM
I would get it now. Noah was using the Stride to Ride walker at 8 months. My nephew is now 5 months and using it. He's already pulling up on stuff. It's crazy!

NatalieM
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks ladies. I'm going to go ahead and get it for DD for Christmas. Thanks for your input.

KBecks
09-06-2005, 09:35 PM
And he was able to walk, walk, walk with it right off the bat.

I'd say get one as soon as your child has been pulling up, or starts cruising furniture.

Alek took his first steps tonight (I think the test drive helped). Six in a row!