PDA

View Full Version : Love the Wooden Thomas the Train set . . but how do I start?

SashaBear
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
How in the world do you start collecting it? Is there an official website I can look at?

thanks

brittone2
09-06-2005, 01:44 PM
A basic figure 8 set is a good starting point (that is what is generally recommended around here). You can buy a few trains to start and gauge your kiddo's interest from there before shelling out more $$. A figure 8 expansion set is another nice thing to add next and will give you more options.

AC Moore or Michaels usually have 40% off coupons regularly and many of their stores (not all though) carry Thomas. If it isn't on sale, you can use the coupon. They don't have a huge selection, but 40% off a $80 set is a substantial savings.

Creativetrains.com and trainsgalore.com have good deals although I haven't ordered from them. Kidsurplus.com sometimes has good deals as well.

We're just getting started ourselves but that is the info I've picked up from hanging out here :) DS started w/ a cheap-o Ikea set ($15 or so) around 15 months and once I knew he enjoyed trains, I was more willing to spend the $$ for Thomas items.

ett
09-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Here is the Learning Curve website:
http://www.learningcurve.com/ourProducts/thomas.asp#92

If you do a search in this forum, you'll get tons of threads discussing Thomas.

August Mom
09-06-2005, 08:45 PM
I would recommend a Figure 8 set as well. We started with the Conductor's Figure 8 set and went from there.

jendalymd
09-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I bought a huge lot of Thomas trains and track and some bridges off of a lady on the Boston Craigslist.org who was moving. I got a great deal. We have like a hundred trains and loads of track and I got it all for a like $115. There seems to always be people selling these trains and train tables and stuff on craigslist. We also got a train table for like $40. My toddler doesn't seem to notice the difference between new toys vs previously owned toys. He's thrilled with toys in general, so why spend the money on new ones when they are so ridiculously expensive and are going to get thrown around anyways.

That's my 2 cents,
Jennifer ps,. we just got him a Thomas the tank engine toddler bed from ToysRUs for his 2nd birthday. He loves it!

HannaAddict
09-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Until this board, I had no idea Michael's carried Thomas sets. I second trying Michael's and craigslist too. All those coupons going to waste. I just bought a figure 8 set at Michaels but had to call about four different stores until I found one that carried Thomas stuff. This week I bought the expansion pack with the Labor Day 50% off coupon. Technically this is for Christmas but don't know if we'll make it that far. They have a ton of other items too.

I snagged a Nolo train table in like new condition off of craiglist a few months back too for a great price. I've seen some other train sets on there recently too.

My Michael's coupon savings have evaporated though since the dinosaur bin is right by the trains. First trip, with just my son we came home with 2 new dinosaurs. This week, with husband and son, we came home with about 7 dinosaurs, but all on "clearance."

JBaxter
09-07-2005, 05:59 AM
A craft store in are area A C Moore also carries Thomas. This week 9/6 Toys R Us is having Thomas week with lots on special. We buy the cheeper track and accessorize with the Thomas cars/buildings. Alot of Nathans train parts belong to his older brother 14 & 11 and everything has held up great.
Jeana

slknight
09-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately, not all Michael's stores carry it. A manager told me that none of the Michale's stores in the northeast do. The AC Moore stores here carry it though and will let you use Michael's coupons.

lisak
09-08-2005, 12:32 AM
My DS loves his Thomas trains!!!

We started w/ the battery powered conductor's figure 8 set (included a battery powered Thomas), then added the 60th anniversary set, and later the Conductor's figure 8 set.

If you buy by the set, its a greater value compared to if you buy each piece individually.
Also, a lot of the movies (dvd's and vhs) come w/ a free wooden engine, so we've been able to multiply our collection of engines that way.

Good luck!

ett
09-22-2005, 09:58 PM
>Unfortunately, not all Michael's stores carry it. A manager
>told me that none of the Michale's stores in the northeast do.
>The AC Moore stores here carry it though and will let you use
>Michael's coupons.

The Michael's in Chelmsford, MA carries Thomas stuff.

brittone2
09-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Several Michaels stores carried Thomas when I lived in southeastern PA. A few did not, but most did.