PDA

View Full Version : Are the Target train sets compatible with Thomas/Brio trains & tracks?

trumansmom
09-10-2005, 10:57 PM
I did a search and never found a definitive answer. Both of my kids enjoy playing with the trains at B&N, and I'm thinking this might be a good joint Christmas present. I don't want to shell out the bucks for a Thomas train table and tracks if I don't have to. Ideally, what I would like to do is buy the Target table & trains, and add on some Thomas cars. Is this doable?

Thanks!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

brittone2
09-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Which train set are you thinking of from Target? If you are thinking about one of their wooden sets, you should be just fine. I don't think the "Take Along Thomas" items are compatible with Thomas or Brio's wooden tracks/trains. But if you buy one of the generic wooden sets Target sells (can't think of the name off the top of my head) it should be compatible. Most wooden sets are compatible with other wooden sets. The Take Along Thomas stuff runs on a plastic track I think?

Lots of people go w/ generic track and then add wooden Thomas or Brio trains to it. It works fine :) We started DS off with cheap-o track from Ikea. If you aren't already aware, you can use Michaels or AC Moore coupons to get 40% off Thomas stuff (only if it isn't already on sale), which is a big savings. Not all AC Moore or Michaels stores carry train stuff, but many do. The websites www.creativetrains.com and www.trainsgalore.com have decent deals too and several mamas here have said they have good customer service.

I'm a relative newbie to the train world, so I'm sure someone else will have more info but I think I'm remembering this right.

trumansmom
09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks! We don't have an AC Moore nearby, but I'll check out Michaels.

I appreciate the info!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!