PDA

View Full Version : Which Elmo DVD for a 16 month old?

TahliasMom
09-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks to dd watching Sesame Street at daycare, she's fallen in love with Elmo. I wanted to get her some DVD's but not sure where to even start since they're not very good about stating the age. what are your toddlers favorites?

TIA!!!

ellies mom
09-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Personally, I'm fond of "Sesame Street sings Karoke". DD loves it also. We also have Elmocize, which she seems to like but grates on me a little. You can also get the Elmo's World ones which have three Elmo's World episodes on them. If you have a Netflix membership you can try a bunch out first or you can try and borrow some from your library.

bchafin
09-13-2005, 06:39 AM
My DS loves all of the Elmo/Sesame Street dvd's. The only one that is questionable is Elmo in Grouchland. He does fine, but his little friend who is 3 months older gets very upset anytime Elmo appears to be in trouble. She just yells "Elmo" over and over.

Off topic a bit, but another suggestion for an Elmo lover is to go to Build-A-Bear and build an Elmo. He is the best Elmo I've ever seen and was only $20. Our children are very attached to their Elmos. FYI he is being retired, so I don't suggest waiting too long if you like him. I also found out from the staff that the next character is Cookie Monster.

HTH
Barb

dules
09-13-2005, 12:45 PM
totally agree with Veronica on checking out Netflix. Even if you're not a member you can see recommendations by age and also which ones parents thought were best.

Best,
Mary

TahliasMom
09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
where can you go build an Elmo? I know there's a store in San Francisco or somewhere in vicinity that allows you to do that. I might have to call and check...

TahliasMom
09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
oh good old netflix! i'll check those out!
thanks!!!

hobokenmom
09-13-2005, 07:53 PM
My son loves the Best of Elmo DVD. It's mostly songs, and he's been watching it from about 3months old. My suggestion is also to check out the reviews on Amazon.com.

Good luck!

the mommy
09-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Hi I just saw the Elmo yesterday actually. Really cute. So I know there is a Build a Bear in Walnut Creek, but I think there may be another one or two in the Bay Area. They did say Elmo was going pretty soon and yes Cookie Monster was coming. :)

Heather
dd 1/22/04

TahliasMom
09-13-2005, 09:13 PM
There's one in San Francisco, I just checked their website. Is the Elmo cute and cuddly like a GUND? or is it all stiff? i'm looking for something plushy for DD to hug and drag around...

TIA

the mommy
09-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah I thought I remembered one in the city. Ahh I miss the city.

Anyway- Elmo is pretty soft and fuzzy, and I think since you stuff them yourself you could decide how floppy he would be. I haven't ever done it though so others could probably tell you more. He is definitely not stiff like say the Leapfrog Tad or Lily, but probably also not quite as soft as a Gund. My daughter really liked him, but we were just killing time in the store while my car was trapped by the See's candy truck. He is about $20 I think and pretty good sized. I would say he is one of the best Elmos I have seen.

Good luck in the search!

Heather
dd 1/22/04

bchafin
09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
It is very cuddly. While they are stuffing him, you can check to make sure they don't put in too much filling. You get him built just the way you want. I personally think he is cuter than GUND, larger and less expensive. My friend bought two for her DD since she is sooo attached. She is keeping one for backup just in case. I only bought one for my DS, but I've been buying them and putting them away for my girlfriends who are planning families. I wish he wasn't going to be retired although, I have to say, Cookie Monster is my personal favorite, so I'll get him also.

Barb

kijip
09-15-2005, 01:35 AM
We avoid the Elmo only versions like the plague...but Toby likes these SS DVDs best and most have Elmo on them somewhere:

Big Bird Sings
Learning about Letters
Three Bears and a Baby
SS Sings Karoake

Love, love, loves the 25th Anniversary one. All the classics.

Lynnie
09-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Mine love best of elmo too.

and unfortunately, i can sing most of the songs by heart now.

... five, five, five, five

yo m-c elmos's got something to say,
about the sesame street number of the day
its cool, its hip
that's aint no jive
its fresh, its something, its something
its five

yo five
no jive

sorry, that belongs in the "what annoying song is trapped in your head" thread.

TahliasMom
09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Great. Looks like we're heading to San Francisco on Saturday!!!
thanks so much

ETA: I just found out they opened one in Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. that's much closer than the city..:)

betsydenny
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Both my kids LOVE Elmo in Grouchland. In fact, it is the only one I can still stand over a year later! It has all the favorite songs- C is for Cookie, Rubber Ducky!
We all just love this one!!
Betsy

TahliasMom
09-25-2005, 10:35 PM
thanks! i been doing the netflix thing for now until i figure out what she likes.