PDA

View Full Version : baby swing

gbkln
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd like to buy a swing for my 4 week old asap.Any recommendations?

dules
09-13-2005, 12:44 PM
At that age I'd be tempted to go with a vibrating bouncer like the FP Kick & Play (just take the toybar off). Or maybe the cradle swing but that's pretty pricey.

FWIW my daughter never liked the swing but loved that darned bouncy chair.

Best,
Mary

nfowife
09-13-2005, 12:59 PM
We have the FP ocean wonders cradle swing. It is pricey (around $95) but we've gotten a lot of use out of it! You might want to get a travel swing instead, they are less $ but only go front to back, not side to side. We also have the OW bouncy chair and DD likes that, too. But honestly she only tolerates both for about 15-20 minutes each before she's sick of it and wants back in my arms! But around 1 month the swing was quite helpful for helping get her to stay asleep.

kimbe
09-13-2005, 02:09 PM
We have a low end Graco open top that was about $70. DD loves it. We have been using it since she was about a month. It takes 2 DD batteries and has 6 speed settings...it has a timer, but we have never used it. It also has music and we have never used it. Oh, it has a mobile on it too. We also have the Fisher Price infant/toddler rocker. It vibrates on its own and it rocks (you have to rock it though.) It is great to put DD in it when when she is asleep -- the vibration helps keep her from startling herself.

HTH

The Review Mommy
09-13-2005, 05:51 PM
I'd recommend a Graco or Fisher Price Cradle Swing. That is if your DC likes them. Try your little one in it first before you buy. Your baby will either love or hate it. Then you’ll know if you want to buy one or not.

TIP: Bring your own batteries in case the store's floor model needs to be replaced.

Swings and Bouncers can be a lifesaver or a neglect-o-matic. It just depends on your child. Also if you are considering a bouncer, test DC in it to. Same thing here. My DN hated his Fisher Price Kick and Play Bouncer (SIL also thought it didn't have enough support for a newborn).... he just liked to be held! Then they returned it to get a Baby Bjorn. :) My DC Loved the Fisher Price Papasan Bouncer (better support) and didn't care for our swing. Just some things to think about. Buy whatever works out for you guys in the store!

Good Luck!
-Rebekah

SarahK
09-13-2005, 07:29 PM
We used the FP Ocean Wonders cradle swing and liked it. Check local consignment stores (or just give them a call) before you go pay full price--oh, and also check Craigslist...our Craigslist always has swings for sale.