PDA

View Full Version : How to keep 2 year old in toddler bed at night?

gatorsmom
09-14-2005, 12:34 AM
This might not be the right place to post but I'm at my wits end. My 2 year old has been slowly transitioning to his toddler bed. But he loves his new freedom a little too much. At night, after we go through his bedtime routine, we turn his lights out and tell him to go to sleep. sometimes I stay in his room with him but most of the time he gestures (he's not talking much yet) that he wants me to leave. That's when the party starts. He knows how to turn on the lights in his room and he plays and has a great time. This can go on until 10pm before he feels ready to sleep. Sometimes he falls asleep on his floor and we find him like that- with the lights on, toys all over the place, and him sound asleep in the middle of it all. Occasionally he'll yell for us to get him a drink of milk or water(we keep a gate across his bedroom door so that he can't run around the house at night), but most of the time he's happy as a clam.

That is, until the next day. He almost always wakes up around 7am and if he hasn't slept enough, he's a grump for the rest of the day.

I don't know what to do. He is a well- behaved little boy during the day and minds what I say. But how do you discipline a child at night? You can't do a time-out because he won't go to sleep. He'd think that was fun. Normally during the day when I ask him to do something he does it but at night when we turn out his lights (for the fourth or fifth time that night)and ask him to go to sleep, he smiles and says, "Ok" and 2 minutes later goes back to playing. Sometimes, rarely, he will wake up in the middle of the night, turn his lights on, and start to play. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

mommyj_2
09-14-2005, 01:37 AM
I might be in the minority, but I let my DS play until he's ready to sleep. I play with him, so he's not playing alone, but I don't force him to sleep if he's not tired enough. If your son is sleeping from 10-7, that's already 9 hours. Many two year olds only sleep 8 hour stretches at night. Does your DS take a nap during the day? I've found that getting my DS up a little earlier from his naps will usually let him go to bed earlier at night.
But, I always remind myself that toddlers are just little people. I don't know any adults who can just go to sleep whenever someone else wants them to, so I don't see why my DS should be expected to do that. I also wake up and get up in the middle of the night sometimes. I don't think your son is purposely being naughty. He might just need some time to play and unwind.
Do you think you could wait until later to start his bedtime routine, and then put him in his room when he's more tired?

lizamann
09-14-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't force dd to bed either. But sometimes it has taken literally until midnight for her to get tired, so I have started depriving her of her afternoon nap. Then she goes to bed so easily! I have to work hard to keep her entertained and excited all afternoon so she doesn't get snuggly and sleepy on me, but it's worth it to have her go to sleep at night so well. I don't know if this is our long-term solution because I think she still truly needs her nap, but it's what we're doing for now until it stops working.

gatorsmom
09-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately, I've thought of both of those things. I am sure my son is not being naughty- he's very good natured and sweet, but he is just so curious and busy! The problem is that he IS tired, but he is fighting it. Even now, at 10pm, I hear him upstairs running around. If I go up there again (for the 6th time) and tell him to go to bed and turn out the lights, he'll give me a kiss, say "ok mama" and climb in bed- until I leave and then he'll get up again, turn on the lights and start to play again.

He hasn't napped for about 6 weeks. I would really like for him to nap during the day because he use to every day and he's so much more calm and rested when he does, but he won't. I do try - I even put him in his crib, but he just plays in there happily.

Anyone else have advice? He has an early gymnastics class and he's going to be a bear if he doesn't go to sleep soon!

lousoz
09-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Take this for what it's worth. It's how my friend deals with her "active" child. Her daughter is the 2nd of 4 kids. They haven't had any problems with the other 3 getting to bed, but Leah is her own person.
The only things she has in her room are a bed, and a dresser ( that is strapped to the wall). The dresser is empty, there are no toys, no clothes, nothing. She sounds like your son, very active mind. They think it's why she has such a hard time falling asleep, her mind is just going a mile a minute. So they took away any and all distractions from her room. She was just recently allowed a stuffed animal to sleep with ( she's five, this has been going on since she was 3) but that's all that's in there except her furniture and pillow.
It has worked for them. They too had to gate her into her room because she would roam the house otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Dcclerk
09-15-2005, 11:53 AM
I think this is a good idea. We have a less strict variation at our house, and it helps a lot. All of his clothes are in his room, but virtually none of his toys. He has some stuffed animals, but let's face it, they are pretty boring. And, we have a ceiling fan with a light, so he can't reach the pull cord to turn on the light (I have been amazed at how handy this is-- the fan on in the dark is pretty darn boring, too.) My DS really needs his sleep. He can sleep from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. plus take a 2-3 hour nap. But it can also take him up to an hour and a half to go to sleep each time. (This isn't every day, but certainly isn't atypical.) Thus, we do as much as we can to minimize his interest in the things in his room, and then stay consistent in how long he has to stay in.

Good luck :)

gatorsmom
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
As predicted, I went to his room after I finished that last email at 10:15pm and told him sternly to get into bed. Then I turned off the lights, put him in bed, pulled up his covers, gave him a kiss and walked out. He must have been tired because that was the last of it. He was sleeping soon after.

However, this morning he was a bear. He's in his crib right now and I hear him jumping up and down, singing songs, laughing...I think I might have to do something like what was mentioned above. I don't want to be too strict because my son falls asleep hugging his favorite blankets and stuffed animals. But I really don't think the toys are the problem. THE PROBLEM IS HOW TO MAKE HIM MIND US? During the day I have a well-behaved little boy who does what I ask. He minds me simply because he's disciplined if he doesn't mind me. But how do you make them mind at night? I wish I could ask my mom- my brother and I were the best behaved children (everyone told us so :). but she died a few months ago. Anyone else have any advice? Anyone?

JacksMommy
09-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure whether I agree that this is simply a matter of discipline. My 3 year old has a lot of trouble getting to sleep - it can take him till past 10 to fall asleep and he doesn't even get out of bed and play - he is lying there trying to sleep but he just can't.

One book that might help is The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers by Elizabeth Pantley. She has lots of suggestions for how to help your child go to and stay asleep. I think she also addresses the getting out of bed question.

I know how frustrating it is to have your child not getting enough sleep. I'm very frustrated myself. The Pantley book is helping but we still don't have a great situation.

Good luck!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

s7714
09-15-2005, 02:45 PM
My thought is to remove all the toys from his room, and then try a reward system for him to stay in bed. (If he stays in bed all night he gets a sticker, X number of stickers gets him a special treat, toy, etc.) You said the real question seems to be how to get him to mind you and your DH. I'd suggest getting 1-2-3 Magic from your library or bookstore. It's a pretty popular and good book as far as getting some basic discipline principles established.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

gatorsmom
09-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the book suggestions. I'll try those. This is very frustrating. He's up there right now having a great time. The reward system won't work because he's just too little right now. If I say he can have a sticker, he'll want it now. He doesn't yet understand "tomorrow."

As for the basic discipline, the funny thing is, during the day, normally I only have to tell him to do something once. Once is all it takes and he listens and is sweet. But at night, it's like he knows he can get away with it because what are we going to do?

s7714
09-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Here's a thought then. How about every time he gets out of bed, you take one of his toys out of the room? Maybe something like that would work? Even using that method, I think I would still limit the amount of toys in his room, because you wouldn't want to spend the entire night taking away toys!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

megulis
09-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Is there a way to stop him from turning on the lights? That way even if he does some things he may only sing or play with his one toy in bed. I give my son his cheerios and one toy in bed. When we say good night to him, we have a routine. Read, sing, and say goodnight and kiss him. We have him lying down through the whole time. It sometimes still takes him 1/2 hour or more to sleep, but he does sleep.

He really doesn't get out of his queen sized bed. He has never been in a crib though so that may make a difference. We also don't check on him if he is still awake 30 minutes later.

mommyj_2
09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
>
>THE PROBLEM IS HOW TO MAKE HIM MIND US? During the day I have
>a well-behaved little boy who does what I ask. He minds me
>simply because he's disciplined if he doesn't mind me. But
>how do you make them mind at night? I wish I could ask my
>mom- my brother and I were the best behaved children (everyone
>told us so :). but she died a few months ago. Anyone else
>have any advice? Anyone?

I wonder if someone told you that you had to go to bed and fall asleep at a given time, could you do it? In your PP, you said you didn't see this as a discipline problem, but the way you're wording your questions seems to suggest that you view going to bed/sleep as a behavior issue (i.e. your son is disobeying if he can't calm down). IMO, a yound child needs to be guided in learning positive bedtime routines. They can't just figure it out on their own.
Have you tried lying in his room next to his bed with him while he's trying to go to sleep? What about reading books to him, or singing to him until he falls asleep? On days when my son can't seem to unwind, it often calms him if I sing the same song over and over on a soft voice. Sometimes it takes a long time for him to calm down and go to sleep, but most often he can fall alseep without any singing at all. I've found that if I turn something into a power struggle, then he is much less likely to want to do whatever it is I want him to do. If I approach it from the standpoint that he and I are working together, he is usually happy to go along with what we want him to do.
I think reading a book like Positive Discipline might be helpful, and might give you some ideas.
Maybe you could try to wait a little bit longer to put him to bed, and then go through a routine (or add a new part to your bedtime routine, like reading, singing, or telling stories). I know my mom got my niece to stay in bed by saying she would stay in my niece's room with her as long as she was lying in bed. They would either watch a video together, read, or sing util my niece went to sleep. This worked really well on the nights when my niece kept wanting to get out of bed.

gatorsmom
09-16-2005, 09:30 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. It's an immediate reaction to his behavior of getting out of bed. If he gets out of bed again, he gets a toy taken away. As a matter of fact, I saw his pediatrician today (not for him but for my 2-month old) and I asked her if she had any ideas. She mentioned this same technique, only using stickers on a bulletin board. Put up stickers on a board or someplace visible but out of reach in his room, make a big deal about how pretty they are, then every time I have to turn off the lights, take a sticker away. But I like the toys idea better because he has attachments to his toys so it will really get the point across.

Thank you!

gatorsmom
09-16-2005, 10:31 PM
I think I found my answer to this dilemna but i wanted to thank you for your advice and respond to your post. I really to think this is a behavior/discipline issue. The issue is that he is not listening to me. It's important that he mind his parents. It's not only a matter of respect but of safety. Right now he is too young to understand that his behavior is disrespectful but it's important to enforce it anyway in the same way we teach children to share or say thank you. If I teach him the behavior now, later on he'll understand why he's doing it. It's not about working WITH him in this case.

As for safety, luckily we have the means to purchase baby gates to keep him from wandering the house at night but what if we didn't? He can't just wander around til he decides he's tired enough to sleep. Also, I can't always spend 2 hours in his room at night waiting for him to go to sleep. I have a 2 month old to nurse!

My point is this- mommy knows best. We have a bedtime routine that he enjoys (he sure lets me know right away if I've forgotten part of his routine) that includes teeth- brushing, sitting on his potty, reading several books he chooses, singing songs, saying prayers, and lots of hugs and kisses. But then it's lights out- end of discussion. I don't want to sing him to sleep or sit by his bed because then he might begin to need that to fall asleep on his own. When he was in his crib he was able to do this. So, falling asleep on his own is not the problem. The problem is keeping him in his bed. And that's a disciplinary problem.

To answer your question- I remember my mom telling me every night that it was time to go to bed. And I did even when I wasn't immediately tired. Often I would lie there singing songs or thinking different things and eventually I went to sleep. But I also remember that often I'd fall asleep quickly because I was more tired than I thought. My mom knew best too :).

lubdubdeb
09-19-2005, 07:57 PM
I guess I am in the minority after reading these responses, but I agree with you that this is a discipline issue. When we first moved our 2-yr-old into a big girl bed, we had trouble with this, too. We took most of the toys out of her room and made it pretty dull. But she would still find ways to occupy herself. So we told her that she would get a spanking if she got out of bed. Her spankings are generally so mild that it doesn't even produce tears (that seems to be all she needs, not an overly-strong willed child) but it bothers her. It worked immediately. She no longer gets out of bed and if she has a problem she calls for help. If she is more wide-awake than usual, esp at nap time, I leave her with a book to read while she falls asleep.

Good luck!

kboyle
09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
My DS#1 plays in his bed for about half an hour (9:30-10p) every night. Whether there are toys with him or not you can hear him talking and mumbling to himself. He has a few Hot wheels, a playmobil guy & 2 duplo legos (as of last night), but nothing big to play with. We keep the light off and the door closed w/ no night light and he doesn't get out of bed, and he has always slept in complete dark, so he's not scared. Oh yeah, and he has a fisher-price tiger flashlight that growls in his bed too, helps him if he does get frightened of something and it occupys his time till he gets bored and falls asleep. Plus, I've been playing the same lullaby CD since he was a baby.

Naps are a different story, that took a while for him to not climb out of bed and play with...socks. The first 2 weeks of his "big boy" bed he would climb down and put on all of his different socks. His sock/diaper/towel bins are right next to the door so I'd have to slowly push open the door to slide him out of the way and wake him up with different socks on, and socks on his hands. Now he changes outfits before falling asleep. I find it pretty amusing, so I don't mind re-folding his clothes & re balling up his socks. But like PP I don't check up on him, once the kisses are given, the CD is playing and the door shuts I don't see him again till it's time to get up. And he doesn't mind, well at least I don't think he does, he's never cried b/c it's bedtime. Hopefully DS#2 will be the same way!

So, after all that, in answer to your post, I keep all the lights off and he doesn't go anywhere. When the lights (technically daylight) are on he's checking stuff out in his room for about an hour. We've tried night lights at night and he yells for us to turn it off.

Good luck!

kboyle
09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
My DS#1 plays in his bed for about half an hour (9:30-10p) every night. Whether there are toys with him or not you can hear him talking and mumbling to himself. He has a few Hot wheels, a playmobil guy & 2 duplo legos (as of last night), but nothing big to play with. We keep the light off and the door closed w/ no night light and he doesn't get out of bed, and he has always slept in complete dark, so he's not scared. Oh yeah, and he has a fisher-price tiger flashlight that growls in his bed too, helps him if he does get frightened of something and it occupys his time till he gets bored and falls asleep. Plus, I've been playing the same lullaby CD since he was a baby.

Naps are a different story, that took a while for him to not climb out of bed and play with...socks. The first 2 weeks of his "big boy" bed he would climb down and put on all of his different socks. His sock/diaper/towel bins are right next to the door so I'd have to slowly push open the door to slide him out of the way and wake him up with different socks on, and socks on his hands. Now he changes outfits before falling asleep. I find it pretty amusing, so I don't mind re-folding his clothes & re balling up his socks. But like PP I don't check up on him, once the kisses are given, the CD is playing and the door shuts I don't see him again till it's time to get up. And he doesn't mind, well at least I don't think he does, he's never cried b/c it's bedtime. Hopefully DS#2 will be the same way!

So, after all that, in answer to your post, I keep all the lights off and he doesn't go anywhere. When the lights (technically daylight) are on he's checking stuff out in his room for about an hour. We've tried night lights at night and he yells for us to turn it off.

Good luck!

Bethann31
09-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Ok, feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but as a BTDT mom (my kids are 15, 13, 10 and 2) and a former special ed teacher, I can tell you that positive reinforcement and the earning of reinforcement is a better way to go, long term. There is a great deal of research that supports this. Ok, that's my teacher angle..... now from a mom: my older children did the same thing. I tried the toy removal game with them, but some children (like my brilliant oldest son) will find something to play with even if there is NOTHING in their room. We laughed that he could make his belly button lint a toy. With him, once you took everything away, there was no reason to behave, because there was nothing to be lost.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

o_mom
09-20-2005, 09:00 PM
No actual experience yet on this one, but it sounds like you need to focus on what exactly you expect from him. I am reading this as the main problem is keeping him in bed until he goes to sleep. In that case, the discipline needs to focus on the getting out of bed part, before the lights get turned on and the party starts. IMO, waiting until he is up and playing is too late for a 2 yo to make the connection.

I think the PPs have been right on removing all toys except for a few to keep in bed. A 2yo can't be expected to stay in bed with all those toys just waiting to be played with. Don't present it as a punishment, just slowly remove them to other rooms/storage over a few days. Also, you may try a light switch lock, such as this one:

http://www.totsafe.com/proddetail.asp?prod=483&cat=4

if he can't turn on the lights and there are no toys, there may be less incentive to get out in the first place.

If that doesn't work, then a next step might be to work more intensly on not getting out of bed at all. In Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, they recommend going in as soon as the child leaves the bed and putting them back with minimal interaction. Don't get mad, rough, or talk about it, just place them back in bed. Explain ahead of time that he must stay in bed, even if he is not sleeping and that he can play with the toys in his bed (if you choose to leave some there). The case reports in the book talk about parents repeating this up to some very large number of times (50?) the first night or two and then having it drop off dramatically by the third night to one or two times.

This may require a team effort of someone sitting right outside the room for a couple of nights. Schedule the first couple of nights for a weekend, bring a good book and agree that the designated person gets to sleep in in the morning if it lasts into the wee hours.

Don't know if any of this will help, but let us know how it goes.

tippy
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM
I have a bit of a different situation with my ds but maybe some of what we do might be helpful for you. My ds is on the autism spectrum and has a lot of sensory processing issues. There are times when he has difficulty "coming down" at night. I think it has to do with not being able to self regulate. If he is doing a lot of self stimulatory behavior (head shaking, kicking and hand flapping) then I know he will have a tough transition to sleep. On those nights I will use a sensory brush, vibrator, joint compression, and a weighted blanket to help him settle down.
We have to be vigilant about not providing any overly stimulating activities within an hour or so before his bedtime. Some nights I even give him his bath before dinner since the bath at times wakes him up rather than calms him. This also means no roughhousing with DH when he gets home from work. We keep things very low key. If he gets a bath after dinner I make sure all the lights in the rest of the house are dimmed so he isn't distracted when we leave the bathroom. We go straight to his room to get ready for bed. I massage him with calendula oil, brush his teeth, put his pj's on and then he nurses and gets a few stories (usually the same one 2 or three times). I then sing hush little baby to him and put him in his bed. He has the fisher price aquarium in his bed and will often play that for a while before drifting off to sleep. On the nights he's having trouble settling down I will take him out of bed and do the sensory work with him. I don't know if any of this is helpful but I do hope you find some helpful ideas from some of the other pp's.

gatorsmom
09-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas! It is 10pm right now and DS has been sleeping for an hour. For the past few nights this has been getting easier and easier. I knew the suggestion about eliminating temptation from his room wasn't what I wanted to do for a couple of reasons. The first is that he likes things in his room to be put where they belong and when something is missing or out of place it upsets him. So I think that removing things would ultimately upset him more than help him get to sleep. Another reason is simply that there will always be temptations in his life. I won't always be there to remove the things from his life that tempt him. He needs to learn self control. Just as we teach our 2 year olds not to bite or take things that don't belong to them, we can teach them to stay in bed! (it's a good theory, at least).

What DOES seem to work is a combination of a few ideas. This is what we're doing. First, his bedtime is a little later (9pm). Then we go through our nightly routine as I described above. We tuck him in and turn the lights off. If he gets out of bed we tell him it's time to go to sleep and we turn off his lights and put him back. Usually he is happy with that, says ok, and lays there for a few minutes. If we hear him or see his lights on, we repeat that each time, while gradually reducing what we say to him until we are just putting him in bed and saying nothing. Some nights, if he's not overly tired, that works fine. The nights he's overly tired, overly stimulated and throwing tantrums, we explain to him that if he gets out of bed again, he will have to sleep in his crib like a baby again. Fortunately, we aren't using the crib too much yet with our 2 month old. Because we understand we have to follow through- if we say he's going to his crib, we put him there. This seems to really get through to him. After being put back in his crib once or twice, he doesn't get out of his toddler bed again. We've talked up his new "big boy bed" so much that he's really proud to be sleeping in it and wants nothing to do with his crib.

Interestingly enough, he doesn't mind being in his crib during the day for naptime/quiet time. Getting him to sleep during the day lately, even in his crib, never seems to happen. But I do notice a difference in his demeanor when he hasn't had at least some "quiet time." He spends that time happily reading his board books and playing with his toys in his crib. I think he appreciates this enforced "down time." This just doesn't happen in his toddler bed so I think that naptime won't happen for a while in his toddler bed. I don't look forward to having enforce that when the time comes!

mommyj_2
09-22-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm glad you found out a way to work this out. I know I can always count on all the online mamas for ideas, since something out of all the ideas will work for my DS.

o_mom
09-23-2005, 12:01 PM
>Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas! It is 10pm right now
>and DS has been sleeping for an hour. For the past few nights
>this has been getting easier and easier.

Great! Glad it worked!

I did want to comment on this next part, though, to give a different perspective.

>I knew the
>suggestion about eliminating temptation from his room wasn't
>what I wanted to do for a couple of reasons. The first is
>that he likes things in his room to be put where they belong
>and when something is missing or out of place it upsets him.
>So I think that removing things would ultimately upset him
>more than help him get to sleep.

It is great that you know this, and good that you are sensitive to it.

>Another reason is simply
>that there will always be temptations in his life. I won't
>always be there to remove the things from his life that tempt
>him. He needs to learn self control. Just as we teach our 2
>year olds not to bite or take things that don't belong to
>them, we can teach them to stay in bed! (it's a good theory,
>at least).

You don't say exactly how old he is. 2 year old can be anything from 24 months to 35 months and there is a huge difference in their self control ability. For a 24 month old it may be too much to expect them to learn self control at time of day when they are most tired. A 35 month old can be very different for this, so not knowing how old your DS is, it is hard to say if this is reasonable.

Also, one of the first suggestions given to ADULTS who cannot sleep is to remove all distractions from the bedroom (TV, radio, reading material) and keep the bedroom for sleeping only. Is this because they never learned self-control? Not at all, it is because one of the ways adults exercise self-control is by removing distractions and temptations.

I think that most posters were seeing this as a developmental issue, in that as your DS matured, you would allow toys in his room. They just figured that it would be easier and less confrontational to just wait for him to develop the maturity to exercise this self control. Similar to waiting until toddlers are ready to potty-train rather than insisting that they master the self control at some arbitrary age.

Now, if you believe that your son is perfectly capable of this, and again, without a more precise age it is hard to say, then it becomes a discipline issue rather than developmental. I think you would get radically different responses if you asked how to keep a 24mo in bed compared to asking how to keep a 35 mo in bed.

Just some food for thought!

betsydenny
09-25-2005, 08:35 PM
So interesting to read this and all the responses. I have a 2.7 yr old who we tried in a big girl bed this summer when she started climbing out of her crib and it was a disaster- power plays at night over staying in bed and no nap. After 3 weeks she was hitting and biting and we were both miserable!

An experienced mom told me she never let her kids out of their cribs till they were older than 3. I went home, ordered a crib tent and had it fed-exed to me.

She immediately went back to napping 2 hours a day and sleeping from 8 to 6:30 (like she had been doing before she climbed out)

It was the best $70 bucks I ever spent!

My two DCs are close in age and I just assumed I would have 2 cribs. I am so glad I did this instead of pushing DD into a toddler bed she wasn't ready for. Perhaps in another 4-6 months we will talk about taking off the tent and transitioning to a bed, but to be honest, she is happy in there and so am I. Perhaps she will stay in there till college! ;-)

One note, for those who might consider this- I now own both the original and the newer Crib Tent II and the new one is much better designed and easy to install and the interior mesh helps keep little fingers from opening the tent from the inside. (took my DD less than a week to figure that out!)

Anyway, good luck to all who try the toddler bed, but here is a vote for staying in the crib longer thanks to a crib tent!

HTH
Betsy

gatorsmom
09-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks to everyone who offered their ideas, there have been a lot of great ones.

As an update, DS went to sleep last night after getting up once. I again threatened him with (dread!) sleeping in his crib if he didn't stay in bed and that was the last thing we heard til 8am this morning!

And, interestingly enough, he's napping in his crib right now, after playing happily with his books for awhile. That leaves me with a rare moment of peace that I can spend cuddling my 2 month old. :)