PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Noah's Ark

niccig
09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm looking to buy DS a wooden Noah's ark for either his birthday or Christmas, which is the same day. Poor thing!

I like the woodland fantasies' sets that Neve posted about but DS is only 1, would these be too old?

Any other options for wooden sets?

Thanks,
Nicci

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
09-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I think it is depends on how you really want him to play with them.
Are they too old to line up the critters and put noah in the ark etc... I would say "yes"...

But can you take the animals and let him play with two at a time and add to the play fun...of course!!!!

I am pretty guilty of thinking ahead with toys though, I have bought few ...very few...age appropriate toys. I buy older toys and just make them work, so that I have the quality I want.

I have a 6, 4 and 2 year old that get the most kicks out of chopsticks honestly...

at T's young age I took full advantage of that...I actually don't purchase the "typical" toys and books though so someone else might beable to answer better.

I Do know the woodland ones have been d/c'd so if you want one for the future and see one I'd grab it if I were you.

HTH :)

new_mommy25
09-22-2005, 01:23 PM
We have the Woodland Fantasies set that I bought a while ago. Noah is too young for it at even two years old. The Melissa and Doug set looks a little more user friendly. Honestly though, you're better off getting the Little People set and getting a wooden one later down the road.

Dcclerk
09-22-2005, 06:47 PM
I think it totally depends on your kid. DS started playing with his Woodland Fantasies one at 18 months, with no problem. I'm not sure if he could have done it at a year, but maybe, because DS has never been much for mouthing things. DD, on the other hand, seems very inclined to stick anything in her mouth, so I am sure we'll have to keep these off limits for quite some time. Honestly, we had a LP set, and it always bugged me. (No good reason for this, other than I don't really like LP, even though DS does.) I, personally, would be inclined to get the set that you like, no matter what age, and just be vigilant in watching him.

niccig
09-23-2005, 11:14 AM
They can't mouth the woodland fantasies? So the paint isn't kid-friendly? That might be a problem. DS puts EVERYTHING in his mouth.
Nicci

ett
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
The paint on the woodland fantasies are non-toxic, but I still wouldn't want my DS to mouth it. We have the woodland fantasies nativity set and originally I was thinking about giving it to DS this Christmas, when he'll be around 2 1/2, but now I'm thinking that I'm going to wait until next Christmas. The pieces seem delicate to me and I would be afraid of DS breaking the figures, since he's very tough on his toys.

If your DS mouths everything, I would be afraid that a piece could break off in his mouth. They are listed as ages 3+ for a reason.

T.C. Timber has a wooden noah's ark on clearance at kidsurplus.com for $24.99. (http://store.yahoo.com/kidsurplus/hab506864.html) It's for ages 2 and up so perhaps that is a better option for your DS.

mudder17
09-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I just got Timber's Noah's Ark Set from Turner Toys and it looks really cute and really simple. However, it does have painted pieces as well, but it says ages 2 and up (it'll either be Kaya's birthday (Feb) or Christmas present. Since you brought up the whole mouthing thing, I sent an e-mail to Turner Toys asking them about the paint and I'll let you know. FWIW, Kaya does have a set of funky wood blocks that have traffic lights, bushes, cars and cats and dogs on it (From haba?) and she hasn't tried sticking them in her mouth yet. Actually, she hasn't stuck the natural wood blocks in her mouth either. So I may be okay, but I thought I'd check out the toxicity of the paint anyway, since her playmates are going to be playing with them and some of them are definitely mouthers.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months, hoping for 2 years

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

niccig
09-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I was at TRU looking for a birthday present for a friend's child and I found the Imaginarium Noah's Ark Shape Sorter 18+ months. I bought it and called to ask about the paint. The paint is non-toxic, they inspect everything to make sure it's kid-friendly, but the customer rep. still suggested inspecting the pieces to make sure they aren't chipped etc. We will play with it together so he doesn't knaw on any pieces. It was $20. Later on, I might get a more detailed set, but for now, this should work for us.

Nicci