PDA

View Full Version : Bathing in a regular tub......

cchavez
09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
DS is 2 years 5 months and we still use the Eurotub to bath him. He does not like the regular tub or the shower??? When did you start bathing your child in a regular tub and how can we get our son to do so???? tia!

SarahK
09-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Katie is almost 22 months and has been in the regular tub (no tub ring or anything like that) for months now--probably 6-8 months. She adapted just fine to the big tub, so I don't have any tips for adjusting them, sorry!!

Neatfreak
09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
My daughter graduated to the big tub when she began to try to climb out of her baby tub (a blue one - First Years, I think). She was six months old. I stick an overturned plastic laundry basket at the front of the tub to keep the faucet out of her reach, and make her bathing area seem a little less huge!

mudder17
09-29-2005, 04:25 PM
We had the blue tub (First Years) and it worked great for the first 18 months, but it was definitely getting on the snug side. We could still use it, but the water wasn't very deep. We thought about using the big tub, but that's a lot of hot water to fill up every time! We recently saw a toddler/baby bath tub at Ikea that is much deeper and wider than the First Years and we're hoping to use that for a while. It's not that we don't want to graduate DD to the big bathtub because while on vacation she's done just fine in the big bathtub. But the smaller bathtub lets her lean back if she wants and of course it doesn't take as much water to fill up. Thankfully she hasn't reached the stage of pooping in the bath (I hope I'm not jinxing myself!) yet, but if she does, it'll be less water to have to change all the time.

If you really want to transition to the big tub, I would recommend getting a rubber bath mat that will help keep him from slipping if he stands up. But I would also make it a rule that he not stand up. You could maybe start with a small amount of water (maybe waist high?) and get him used to it with his usual bath toys. Oh, and I haven't done this yet, but I plan on proofing the spout with something soft when we do the transition.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 19 months, hoping for 2 years

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

kboyle
09-29-2005, 05:54 PM
We had The Safer Bather which looked like a big water pillow, once he could sit up on his own in the tub (6-7 mo) we stopped using it. Then once he could stand good and walk (13-14 mo) he started showering. Now we can't drag him out of the shower!

cchavez
09-29-2005, 08:13 PM
The Euro tub is a very large tub....but I hadn't thought about how much water it would take to fill the regular tub....hmmmmm

brittone2
09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Loved the Eurotub but DS started in the regular tub around 8-9 months. He would sit in it while I showered. He now isn't into me showering while he gets his bath but he still just does the regular tub. He used to love the bath in general but hasn't been too big on it in the past 2-3 months.

tarahsolazy
09-29-2005, 09:08 PM
We started using the regular tub at about 4 months. No ring, no mat, nothing. One of us bathed with him until he was about 6 mo old, since then he either sits on the tub floor, or walks back and forth. He only gets baths about twice a week, though.

I don't know how you can transition Diego, though...

amp
09-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Don't know about transitioning, but we moved from the sink to the tub at about 6-9 mths or so. We also did a lot of showers during that transition time. He's been taking mostly baths in the big tub since he was maybe a year old or so.

MarisaSF
09-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Will he go in the regular bath tub if you are in it with him?

Jazz loves swimming and sitting (yes, sitting) in her water table. Having a lot of toys in the tub, playing with her in it really helped. We don't have a special seat or anything. She just sits and knows that we'll end the bath if she stands up.

For the record, she does not like going in the shower with us as much.

We started in the bathtub around 12 months. Before that, she fit nicely in our sink. :)

daniele_ut
09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Once Logan was trying to sit up his own, he would have no part of our Sure Comfort Deluxe Infant to Toddler tub, so we just got a padded bath mat at TRU and we fill up the regular tub with a few inches of water. I usually sit with my feet in the tub to keep him away from the faucet and he has a blast crawling back and forth and splashing. He LOVES bathtime now!

alkagift
09-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Matthew's just about the same age and we moved him to the big tub from the Eurotub about 6 months ago. We went to Babies R Us (since they have a decent selection of bath stuff) and bought some things to make it more fun for him--he picked them out, for the most part, and we made a fuss over it.

I also bought a bright fish mat to put on the bottom of the tub and a suctiony netting thing in the shape of a fish to hang all the bath toys to dry. Let's just say he likes fish! ;) I started with just a small amount of water, say halfway up his legs (while seated), about an inch.

Is Diego afraid of the drain, or just the expanse of water? Matt isn't afraid of the drain but I read somewhere you have to show him how his toys can't fit down the drain, it's just for water.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

fauve01
09-30-2005, 04:18 PM
what about putting the eurotub in the big bathtub for a few days/week? so it'd be his regular bath in the eurotub but new location in tub (instead of the kitchen counter or wherever you're doing it now). then he could get used to the big tub place and after some time you could just try without the eurotub. i was going to suggest some new fun toys too. DD really likes tupperware and plastic sups along with her squirty fish and bugs. she likes lining up the toys on the sides and knocking them into the water. and she likes scooping them up with the dishes.

we had been using the eurotub at the kitchen counter and actually just started bathing DD in the big tub after a trip to my sister's house (where DD was using the big tub there). DD loves the big tub. she likes to sit in there as the water is filling up the tub (can hardly wait to take her clothes off)--she likes filling the cups right from the water coming out of the faucet. she also likes pulling the drain and waiting til the water is all gone before she gets out. maybe your DS would like those thhings too?

there's lots of fun splashing inbetween too!!

good luck!

Anne + DD 10-03

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I was just going to post what anne wrote.

Maybe the tub just seems big compared to his bathtub right now. Maybe if you took him to a store and bought special "big boy" toys for the big boy tub and just played with them in the tub. You could even get in, using no soap only water, just to get him used to the size of the sub. Maybe get a no slip mat so that he can stand up and not be scared that he would fall.

Good luck

cchavez
10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
The Euro tub was in the regular bath....so maybe the transition wasn't as big a deal b/c ot that....But we bought him the Sassy car wash and an alligator bath mat (matches his bathroom jungle) yesterday. We made a big deal out of it and he did fine.....thanks for all the suggestions!