PDA

View Full Version : Quest for monkey harness well worth the effort! Thanks!

analisa
10-05-2005, 06:56 PM
We have the monkey, and we LOVE it! Thanks to everyone for providing pictures, opinions, UPC, and retailer and manufacturer info!

I happened upon this harness/backpack thread just as DH and I were searching for harnesses for our 15-mo. old DD. The outlook seemed grim at first: an uncomfortable-looking blue nylon strappy thing that not only made DD look like a little crossing guard but also clashed with everything in her wardrobe! And then I found this thread and saw a picture of the monkey harness, and I was smitten.

Monkey fever quickly set in, but the cure was not easy. Armed with a UPC, I started calling area Targets. After calling 7 of them (and talking to maybe 20 different "team members") and stopping in at a few of them, I started to lose hope. Several Targets didn't carry the harness, a few were out of stock, and a few only had puppy harnesses. (We're cat people, and besides, there is something very silly about a baby having a "monkey on her back"!) I even called a Wal-Mart (gasp!--not to offend anyone, I just don't like they way they operate), and they told me they had at least 6 monkeys (she checked the shelf to confirm). When I got to the store, they were all puppies--blasted Wal-Mart! The puppies are very cute, but I was determined to have a monkey.

The search continued. Finally, a few days later, I was at a Target I had already checked, but because I am such an optimist (or a glutton for punishment?), I checked the shelf again. And, lo, there was one lone monkey! There was a family hovering in the aisle, but I was prepared to wrestle them to the finish if they reached for that monkey. They were looking at other gear, so I breezed over and grabbed my gorgeous monkey!

I never knew a harness/leash could be so cute, and this one also seems incredibly well-made and thoughtfully designed. DD loves it and even helps us put it on her. DH, who was initially anti-harness, thinks it's great. We're all much happier, because now we don't have to struggle so much to balance freedom and safety. When we're out, people fawn over baby/monkey, and many more stop us to ask where they can find the monkey. They express disbelief when we say Target; I guess it looks "fancier" than that. All I know is that it's a really great item, and I'm so glad to have learned about it through this forum.

Thanks!

My monkey-loving baby:

elliput
10-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Your DD looks darling with the monkey! Kudo's on the persistance to find one.

lilycat88
10-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Been looking and can't find one.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

missym
10-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Jamelin, one of the Targets in Ft Wayne had 2 monkeys about a week and a half days ago. I'm not getting out much these days with a newborn, but I don't suppose Target does store-to-store transfers?

Here's the store:
Ft Wayne NE Target, 6119 Stellhorn Rd, Fort Wayne, IN 46815-5357 US
Phone: (260) 485-8640

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

lilycat88
10-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much. I'll try that. Can't hurt. We're pretty stuck on the monkey as well. We're a cat family and my husband has an irrational fear of all things dog.

Jamelin

analisa
10-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Thank you on both counts! After I posted, I thought, wow, I must sound like such a freak to go to these lengths for a monkey harness! But really, we were at our wits' end, because our fearless DD wanted to run everywhere and started refusing to hold hands (If we insisted, she collapsed in a shrieky little heap, and that wasn't doing anybody any good).

mudder17
10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Oh, she's adorable and you should be a story teller! I loved reading our Quest for the Monkey! :)

We're a 4 cat family so I definitely wanted the monkey (plus I wasn't aware of a puppy at the time) and I definitely LOVED the whole "monkey on her back". In fact, the first two people who ran into us "walking" Kaya said to her, "Oh, you have a Monkey on your back." Kaya would look up smiling and point to the monkey and then sign "monkey". Definitely no negative comments about a harness. :)

Congratulations on finding your monkey. I had no idea they were so hard to find! We were fortunate to find it at the second one I looked at.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

analisa
10-05-2005, 09:57 PM
I forgot to mention that I also called the Gold Bug company that makes the harnesses, and they said they'd had some supply problems but were resolving those.
Also, if you call Target with the UPC (0 71534 53813 0), they'll be able to tell you if they have the harness in stock. BUT--the monkey and puppy have the same UPC, so if you want to make sure they have the monkey, ask them to check the shelf. Also, a few Targets said they needed a different number, which might have been the number on the receipt (030040877), but usually the UPC was good enough.

Good luck on your monkey quest!
Analisa

kozachka
10-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Your DD looks adorable with a monkey on her back :). And it even matches your decor. DS chose a puppy despite my attempts at 'soft selling' him the monkey harness. Did know they were THAT difficult to get otherwise I would have picked an extra one for fellow BBBers. Unfortunately, Wal-mart is a bit of a drive for me.

ethansmom
10-06-2005, 07:59 AM
...it's too tight around DS when he has a fleece on. So, was going to post on swap, but thought I'd offer it to you first. LMK if you are interested. annsmith5 @ hotmail.com (no spaces)

BeachBaby
10-06-2005, 08:41 AM
OMG, that monkey is the cutest! ethansmom, if Jamelin doesn't need/want it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I've also been looking everywhere and can't find one. :(

Megan

angusmom
10-06-2005, 10:02 AM
I was at my Wal-Mart last night and they had several Gold Bug monkeys on the shelf. I had just read about the monkey here in another thread yesterday morning and it was such a coincidence to see the item thay evening! Now I think I should buy one and save it (my daughter is only 10 weeks now)!

If anyone is desperate for a monkey, I would be willing to go back to my wal-mart and buy them and ship them anywhere for reimbursement of the costs. Of course, if they are so popular, I can't guarantee they will still have them. But I'm happy to try and see if they are still on the shelf.

I dont want to post an email address here and end up getting spam, so just post here if you need my help and I'll try to check back before I leave work today.

bluestar2
10-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh my your DD is ADORABLE with that monkey on her back!!! I got one of each for my twins and have had no luck getting them to use it, but that's another thread... :(

lilycat88
10-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks! I emailed you.

Jamelin

ethansmom
10-06-2005, 02:49 PM
got it and replied!

MomtoOLT
10-07-2005, 02:05 AM
What part of the store are you finding these? In the baby section? Kid's toys section? Purse area??

I don't know where to look for these.

Thanks!

chlobo
10-07-2005, 06:19 AM
add me to the list of people who can't find them. I called several targets & visited Walmart (ugh). NO luck. I think it would be really great for DD when we're out in a crowd.

angusmom
10-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I saw them at wal-mart in the baby section. They were mixed in the toy aisle with all kinds of other toys and playmats and stuff.

Also, there's a few sellers with them on eBay. You'll pay twice as much as you would if you can find it in the store, but it might be worth the extra few bucks for some people if the stores in their area aren't carrying it and you are having a hard time finding it.