PDA

View Full Version : blanket in crib (for 18 month old)

sdbc
10-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Last winter, DD was only in blanket sleepers since she was under one year old. She's now 17 mmonths, and we would like to be able to give her blankets in her crib. What is a good winter blanket for a toddler? She has a Carters blanket that is soft fleece on one side and satin on the other that she LOVES, but it isn't large enough to really keep her warm at night--she bunches it up and cuddles with it usually.

Thanks!

mudder17
10-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Is there any reason you can't keep her in blanket sleepers? I ask because I briefly thought of giving Kaya a blanket for her crib (because she's started snuggling next to me under my covers in the morning during nursing), but she moves all over the crib, and a blanket just wouldn't be very useful. I got the next size up in the fleece sleepsacks and that's what we'll use this winter. I'll probably keep her in sleepsacks until she moves to a bed (3 years old?) and can get out of bed on her own. My little mermaid can walk in the sleepsacks, and it's extremely cute, but it's not really that safe. ;)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

sdbc
10-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I guess my main reason for not wanting the sleepsack is that she gets frustrated not being able to move her legs around and when she does, I'm worried about her falling and hitting her head on the side of her crib. Maybe the way to go for us is warm footed pjs... She is all over the place in her crib, so a blanket probably won't stay put--you're right.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

amp
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
My son's favs are his fleece ones too. We had leftover fleece from making a sheet, and we just used it as blankies for him. You can just go buy fleece in the store and use it without doing anything to it really.

sdbc
10-12-2005, 11:18 AM
That's an interesting idea. What size did you cut the blankets?
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

TahliasMom
10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
we are trying to make the same decision because it's hard for dd to move around in a halo sack. i did buy her a duvet at jcpenney which is the same size as her crib for a test run and she loves it but we still put her in fleece footed pj's in case she looses the blanket. also at homecare dd sleeps with a blanket and a pillow and refuses her sleepsack because she wants to be like the big kids. i'm sure this isn't the thing you are suppose to do but not sure if i want to invest in halo sacks for the winter.

amp
10-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Well, ours are just the scraps from the sheet, so they aren't big enough to cover him up with and are more like loveys, but he calls them blankets. If I wanted a full blanket size, I would measure a blanket I liked and buy enough fabric to make it that size. You can either just use the cut fleece, which doesn't appear to unravel, but isn't really very finished either (that's how ours are), or you can double layer it and sew it together w/ a binding, or you can take the single layer and put a whipstitch or blanket stitch around the edge. I don't know how to do this, but we have a blanket that has this and it just looks a bit more finished.

Rachels
10-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Abigail cuddled with her security blankets at that stage, but even at three she won't keep regular blankets on at night. When it's cold, I go for fleece PJs instead. LL Bean and Lands End make some good ones, and they're warm as toast.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

HannaAddict
10-13-2005, 12:44 AM
My son is 18 months old and we do fleece footed pj's with a sleep sack over them but not zipped up all the way. The LL Bean fleece pj's are incredibly fluffy and warm but we have a few Carter's fleece pj's too. We zip the Halo Sleep Sack up about half way so his legs are free but it stays on him and keeps him warm.

Kimberly

supercalifragilous
10-13-2005, 02:27 AM
We use footed PJs from Carters that I always get at Costco for really cheap. Once DD started walking, she was all done with any kind of sleep sack so it's been fleece footed PJs the whole time since then.

Though I wouldn't recommend a full-sized blanket (strangulation hazard, depending on how large it is, http://www.babysheets.com/story.html), a friend suggested a down-filled "throw" - it's about 30x40 (the size of a baby blanket) and it's very warm. I've seen them at Costco, Target, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc for really cheap. If it's small and bulky enough it wouldn't be as much of a strangulation hazard.

dules
10-13-2005, 06:15 AM
We use long johns or a cotton one piece layered with a blanket sleeper. Then DD does have a fleece blanket from PBK but it's hit or miss whether she keeps it on or not.

Best,
Mary

Moneypenny
10-13-2005, 11:40 AM
"We zip the Halo Sleep Sack up about half way so his legs are free but it stays on him and keeps him warm."

That's what we do, too. It keeps her torso warm but she's free to kick her legs around as much as she wants.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
We made it to a year!

Momof3Labs
10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
We use fleece PJs also for DS - he won't stay under blankets either. They aren't sleepsacks, but have legs so that kids can still move around.

kboyle
10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
DS dresses himself for bed so sometimes he's in blanket sleepers or long johns, sometimes he's in his swimming trunks and a hoodie. When he was in his crib he was always in a blanket sleeper and he had 3(at 15 mo and up), yes 3 blankets in there which I layered on him at bedtime. Now that he's in his own bed I've got a reg twin size blanket, not a comforter, plus his 3 crib blanket that HAVE to be layered on him. He moves around at night, but when he get's chilly he'll cover himself back up. I think even if you only have little blanket in the crib with him, if he gets cold, he'll use it to warm up.

DS#2 does have 2 pieces of fleece that I use as a swaddling blanket that are MUCH LARGER than any infant/toddler blanket I've ever seen. I used the dimensions: 45x45 and one that's 50x50. They are huge, but will last if he ends up using them as loveys.