PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Monkey Harnesses -- with pics

MarisaSF
10-18-2005, 01:29 AM
I'll try to keep this short. When we last spoke, gentle reader, Elena (kozachka) had directed me to the exact shelf in town where I might find the coveted $10 Monkey Harness Buddy.

Original thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=39661&mesg_id=39661&page=4&topic_page=1

It was early on a Saturday and I somehow got into my mind that there'd be a line out the door for these things. Prepared to fight for my monkey, I sprinted to the shelf while averting my eyes to all the other bargains, and.... OH NO!... there are several left!.... Monkey or Puppy?... Puppy or Monkey? ACK! They're both so cute. Jazz was not yet signing "monkey," but her best friend is her stuffed puppy, so I paid my ten bucks and left with the Puppy Harness. Rushed home, opened the box, cut off the "do not remove" tag, tried it on Jazz. She loved it. The only "problem" is that she wanted to hold the puppy and it's supposed to go on her back. Well, I thought, she'll get used to it. What did DH teach her when I was gone? "Monkey" sign.... of course!

TWO HOURS later the doorbell rings. Special Delivery! What can it be? Uh oh, it's from "Natale," the place that sells the way-too-expensive-for-me Monkey Tot Tether.
(http://the-baby-boutique.com/tottether.html)

I open the package and, indeed, it's a beautiful Monkey harness. What did I do? Did I mistakenly press "purchase"? Did my computer automatically enter my credit card info and address? There is no note indicating this is a gift. Oh, I'm so $crewed; I cannot afford this. In a panic, I rush off an e-mail to the company inquiring about my mistake and the return policy.

THEN, I remember, my sister who has a well paying job and might think that $40 was a reasonable price to pay for a monkey harness was in town over the weekend. Did I mention my Monkey Lust to her? I call her ... yes, indeed, I did. Mystery solved. She bought it was a thank you for picking her up from the airport. Ummm... she's my sister and she paid for every meal that weekend. In my mind that means she owes me nada... ever. Note to self: your younger sister won the rat race. But s'all good... *you've* got the cutest little monkey in town! (Well, now that Elena and Daniel have moved, anyway. :))

Sooo... there's my story. I've cut the tag off the puppy, so I can't return it. I'm debating whether to swap or save. I have to keep the Monkey since it was a gift and my sister will want to see it being worn. FWIW, she's quite the NY fashionista and she says she sees harnesses all over NYC.

This has gotten long... I'll be back with pics in a minute.

ETA: I wasn't clear earlier. I never mentioned to my sister that I wanted the more expensive one. I probably said, "Oh I'm looking all over for this cool-looking monkey/backpack/toddler harness." The Tot Tether one comes up if you google those words.

MarisaSF
10-18-2005, 01:59 AM
Sorry these are kind of weird shots. Jazz isn't a posing kind of kid. The photo I wanted to use is of our front door and our last name is visible. Not sure how to crop/turn the pics in iPhoto. :)

Good view of the backpack feature. The leash part comes out of a cut-out under the flap. When not in use, I store the leash in the pocket.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29911.jpg

Good view of the banana and monkey (two signs!). Jazz with her beloved empty bubble jar:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29912.jpg

analisa
10-18-2005, 06:21 AM
You might want to keep the harness buddy as well, and then you could alternate, or at least have a back-up. It sounds like your DD likes the plushness of the puppy, and if she's anything like my DD with her monkey harness, she'll enjoy holding and petting her harness before/after/while being buckled into it. I managed to score another monkey that I'm going to hang onto in case something (mauling by kitty-cats? accidental abandonment on a trip? theft?) should happen to the original. Yes, we love it that much!

As for iPhoto: to rotate, press command R for clockwise and command shift R for counter-clockwise.

To crop, I'd first make a duplicate by hitting command D. Then, with the picture in full-size view, select the area you want cropped and hit the crop button in the lower left area of the window.

jd11365
10-18-2005, 08:18 AM
I'd keep the puppy. It's more like a "little friend," which is cool for the older toddler. ;)

When Kayla was Jazz's age, we put a traditional harness on her because she basically refused the stroller. She was MORTIFIED! She sat down and wouldn't move. So no harness for Kayla...

...until the monkey!!! She LOVES the monkey and doesn't want to take it off. "Mommy hold tail!" is what I get, which is perfect, and she thinks she's hot stuff because people are always smiling at how cute she looks with it.

What a great invention. All the $$$$ I've spent in the past 2-3 years, and this has to be one of the top purchases I've made...and only $10 bucks! Between this and the Snack-trap, life is gooood. :)

BTW, love the pics! Jazz is getting so big! :)

MarisaSF
10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
thanks for the iPhoto tips! I didn't know how to crop at all so I will definitely use that tip! I did know how to rotate them in the program, but once I save them rotated, I can't seem to upload them to the BBB.

MarisaSF
10-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Jamie- yes, I agree about the Snack Trap fer sure!
Okay, I will hang onto the puppy harness. Jazz says "bow wow wow" everytime she sees it, so how can I deny myself THAT?!?
Thanks for the perspective of the older toddler!

Isn't Jazz sweet? ;) Now who could mistake that bald head and sullen expression for being a boy? Seriously, in a HA playdress this week someone referred to her as "him."

lizamann
10-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Cute story and ADORABLE pics! Thanks for sharing!

jd11365
10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
SHE is clearly a SHE! I love those pics! :)

The Review Mommy
10-18-2005, 08:48 PM
LOL! I thoroughly enjoyed your story! :)

Happy owner of the Puppy AND Monkey harness because mama couldn't decide....
-Rebekah

mudder17
10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
What a great story! I was wondering how your great adventure would end up! :) Jazz is most definitely a beautiful "she"! Yes, definitely keep the puppy harness. Kaya loves hugging her monkey, even when it's not in use. I suspect Jazz will love cuddling with the puppy. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

kijip
10-19-2005, 01:48 AM
My stinking siblings always get Toby the craziest sh*t, um I mean THINGS. Such as a blue satin cookie monster coat and full length videos he can't watch all at once and polyblend clothes for a kid who gets a rash unless he has cotton next to his skin. My brothers have never once given Toby something that I have mentioned wanting for him. So big kudos to your little sister!

I would keep both. The puppy makes a great toy, you can even detach the tail. Toby LOVES his monkey of the same brand as Jazzy's puppy. Same deal, took a day to adjust to having it on his BACK and not cuddling it but now wearing it with the tail detached is like his preschool security blanket. Super easy to attach the tail as needed!

ETA- the description I gave of the cookie monster coat makes it sound way nicer than it is. Frankly, TOby would look like a Sesame Street themed Liberace or pimp in it. It is that blue and that satin.

The Review Mommy
10-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi All!

Here is a pic of the harness just in case some of you haven’t seen what it looks like yet.
http://www.goldbug.com.au/collection.php?s=sma

I noticed that The My Brest Friend nursing pillow was listed on their website ....are they made by Gold Bug?
http://www.goldbug.com.au/collection.php?s=saf

I just sent a happy letter to The Gold Bug Company regarding their harness hit! :)
-Rebekah

MarisaSF
10-19-2005, 01:12 PM
You had me at "blue satin." I pictured pimp coat right away!

Okay all, I will keep the puppy. Bow Wow Bow!

laurel
10-21-2005, 09:26 PM
She is unbelievably adorable.

I know this is a little off topic, but do any of you clever mamas happen to know if the backpack monkey or puppy are sold anywhere in Canada? I've been reading all these posts about how successful they are as a harness, and think it might be just the answer for my nearly 19-month-old who loves the word "down" ! Any help would be appreciated!

caldreamer
10-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Oh boy, I can help! I'm such a lurker, I get excited when I actually KNOW something :)

I was looking for a way to buy one online, and funny enough all I could find was an e-bay seller in Canada! This link is for an ended auction, but click on the seller's id and there are others.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Monkey-Harness-Buddy-Child-Backpack-Safety-Leash_W0QQitemZ7719699359QQcategoryZ20412QQcmdZVie wItem

I was sure I saw a "buy it now" one earlier. Try googling "harness buddy" "monkey"

And on the topic of where, IS there a way to order these online in the U.S.? Not having any luck finding one. Or I'm in the SF Bay Area if someone knows where to get one here. Thanks!

MarisaSF
10-22-2005, 09:27 AM
"Oh boy, I can help! I'm such a lurker, I get excited when I actually KNOW something."

Wow! I'm impressed at your will power (and that off all lurkers). I feel like I post every time I feel "full." It's like going to the bathroom. ;) Well, welcome! I hope you post more!

I didn't look at the auction you posted about, but I had seen a few ebay auctions and the Buy It Now price was somewhere between $15-25! Since the Harness Buddy can be bought in store for $9.99, someone's making a big profit!

No, I looked online a few weeks ago and there weren't any places with reasonable prices (what I would call reasonable, i.e. $10). Target and Wal-Mart seem to be the places to find 'em.

KrystalS
10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Ok, I've been reading this post and I think I really need one of these for my dd. I've never even heard of these, I have seen the old harnesses that are just straps and I know my dd would never wear one of those. I really hope that if I get one of these she will wear it, because most of the time she hates riding in the stroller!(a P3 which I paid wayyyy too much for!!) And if I let her down to walk she always runs away, I'm terrified someone is going to get her because sometimes she runs faster than me and I can't catch her fast enough. Anyway, do they have these in stores or only online? Where can I find one for $10??

TIA!

laurel
10-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tip. EBay might be the only way to get one here. I checked that seller's other items, and it seems she's from Montana, so the shipping on top of the harness is another 7.50. Makes it basically double the price it is in stores! We're hoping to take a trip to Grand Forks or Fargo, North Dakota in a couple of weeks, so I'll check in the Target there before I order off EBay.

Thanks again for the tip!

mommab
10-26-2005, 11:43 PM
What a cute story and pics!!

We just bought the last monkey on the shelf at our local Walmart, although there were several puppies left!! DD loves it - but we haven't tried it with the tail/leash yet - lol!!

Thanks so much to everyone for researching this topic so thoroughly, as I am at my last wits with dd taking off in stores, parking lots, etc!! The "monkey on your back" backpack is the cutest thing - makes dd look so mature (like she's going to school)!! Anyway, thanks again to everyone - I really hope this works for us!!