PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Costco Train Table ? - Should I return it?

samiam
10-21-2005, 08:16 AM
I know people have been extremely happy with their tables from Costco and that it's a great value, etc. I purchased one for my 2 year old son for Christmas but have been having second thoughts. I know in past posts, it was often recommended to start out with a simple figure 8 set.

My son will be 28 months at Christmas. Is this table going to be too much for him? Too overwhelming? He's shown interests in tables and trains when we've seen them at the toy store, friends houses, etc. But with many toys, he gets VERY frustrated if he can't do something himself. I'm just wondering if so much track and so many pieces are just going to work against us.

Thoughts?

DebbieJ
10-21-2005, 08:31 AM
I say keep it!

We bought ours LAST Christmas and my son isn't even two yet! He still takes apart the track and makes a mess, but then we just take it all down and he uses the table for all his cars. He just walks around and around the table with the cars. My nephew uses his as his dinosaur table. He is nuts about dinosaurs and has this whole set up.

Set it up and see what happens. If he doesn't like the elaborate set up, then get a simple figure 8 or use the table for something else.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

o_mom
10-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Can't you just put some of the track away until later?

samiam
10-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks. That makes sense. I'd forgotten that he could do other things on the table as well. Of course, that doesn't solve the issue of my not having room for this thing but that's another story :)

Thanks for the perspective. I'd be hard pressed to find a decent table at this price (much less one with a train set) so makes sense to keep it, even if we end up using it with a Figure 8 set. In fact I have a Thomas figure 8 set that I bought and never returned, so I'll hang onto it just in case.

amp
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Keep it! There is some speculation that Costco may or may not be continuing train tables, as they are getting rid of their current model. Perhaps they'll debut a new one, perhaps not.

Anyway, that aside, I know that I personally waited on a train table last year and am glad I did. But now that DS is nearly 2.5, he loves train tables at stores, other peoples houses, etc, so we're planning to get one this year. If your kid really doesn't start to like it then you can consider selling it (which I imagine would be a breeze to do!) or returning it. My guess is that at his age, he will begin to love it very quickly!

Also, I know that we will keep around our figure 8 track for playing with so he can build it, but if he has trouble w/ track falling apart on the table, we'll consider attaching some of it until later on. I figure it can always be removed or added to and there's always track that can be bought and put together on the floor for more imagination. Just my 2 cents.

kitmama
10-21-2005, 11:24 AM
We bought the Costco train table for littleman last Christmas, when he was about 14 months old. I thought it might be a bit much, but it was all we bought him (besides one book) and I figured he would grow into it. But he LOVED it, and still does! It's usually a disaster of train tracks all over the place, but he has a blast with it anyway. (Not to mention it is an instant hit with any other kids that come visit). He loves driving the cars and trains, flying the airplanes, playing with the signs and track pieces, and taking everything apart when we get around to setting it up for him. Now, at almost 2, he is just starting to figure out how to put the track together a little bit. But in any case he has had a blast with it, and it was a good investment!

smiliedds
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I say keep it too! We just got a train table set last week when we passed by a store that had it on sale. (A totally unplanned purchase.) My DH couldn't wait to set it up even though the box says 36mo+ and my DS is only 16mo. We put away all the little pieces and only put out some tracks and trains. He loves it. Of course he doesn't reaaly know how to play with it. But he had a blast moving the train (anywhere, along the tracks or on the table) and picking the tracks up. Also, DH and I get to rearrange the tracks. It's a toy that keep changing! I figure if he gets 'bored' of it, I would just put the trains & tracks away for a while. And let him use the table for other toys. HTH

Rebecca

ethansmom
10-21-2005, 01:01 PM
It makes a nice coffee table replacement! ;-)

emilyf
10-21-2005, 01:14 PM
My ds only uses his occasionally for trains, but he is nuts for cars and trucks so drives them around on it and the bins are great for storage-it really keeps the toys off the floor, so I'm pleased with the purchase-we got it last year around Christmas. I'd say the table itself is used daily even if the trains aren't.

Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

samiam
10-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Okay you convinced me - it's a keeper. Thanks so much for all the feedback.