PDA

View Full Version : Toys, games for 18+ hours on a plane

niccig
10-23-2005, 12:13 AM
DS will be nearly one when we fly to Australia for Christmas. We have 2 flights, and from door to door it will be about 24 hours of travelling time.

Any suggestions for toys, games to occupy him. I've also started to look into a few of the co ops that are running for his birthday and christmas presents, so I may as well buy everything together.

I would appreciate any other advice for a long trip with a 1 year old?

Thanks,
Nicci

ETA we're going to buy a portable DVD player, but so far DS isn't very interested in any DVDs we've played.

simba
10-23-2005, 12:20 AM
I flew from the West Coast to Italy three times with DS, and he was 1 the second time. You have probably already booked the flight but my strongest advice is to fly at night. When he was awake, he played with the little TV touch screen, ate, and I walked up and down the aisle so that he could play peek-a-boo with volunteers! I had so many books and toys and he hardly used any. The situation itself was much more interesting, he liked to look out of the window(s), eat the food, touch his sleeping neighbor, etc. But he did sleep most of the flight! I am going again for Christmas, and he'll be 18 months.
HTH, your is a VERY long flight!

papal
10-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Does your DS like animals? The only DVD that my DD will sit down and watch for 1.5 hours is called Serengeti Symphony. Just wild animals set to some soothing classical music. This worked for us on the plane. I took crayons, stickers, crayola magic etc.. they were a PITA because she kept dropping them and I had to unbuckle and pick them up. Plus, because of the car-seat, I could not bring her tray table down so she could not colour or playdoh anywhere.. so those were not good in my experience.
Good luck. We just did a 24 hour door to door trip. I have tried to erase it from my memory but you are dealing with a one year old and not a 2 year old, so I am sure your experience will me much different from mine! Good luck!

javierandastrid
10-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I also just came back from a 24 hours plane ride with my 20 month old DS. The mini magnadoodle worked for us. Also i printed some coloring pages from the internet, and gave him 2 crayons at a time. He enjoyed that as well. I gave him flash cards from the dollar store. He enjoyed slipping it between the seats like it was "mail". It was 26 pieces so i didn't have to pick it up everytime. He played with cups and straw from the plane, and we just "read" the inflight magazine together.
HTH

mudder17
10-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Welcome Back, Rashmi!!!! I hope you recover soon! What you really need is a day at the spa to help you relax. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

niccig
10-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Our flight to Australia is at night, so I'm hoping DS sleeps as much as possible. The return trip is during the day, so that may be the more difficult leg. I'll take what I can, but I'll be inventive when I need to - on our last flight (5 hours) DS was entertained by an empty water bottle, so anything can be a toy.

Nicci

naomi01
10-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I have done the flight to Australia more times than I care to count with kids, including when DS was aged 4m and then 11m, and more recently with DS @ 2 yo and DD at 4m. Some tips off the top of my head (please ask if you have any specific questions!).

- firstly if you are flying qantas they usually have TVs behind the seats, even in economy, and not taking the DVD player means one less thing to carry (we used it when DS was 2 and we were on UA which had no mini TVs though
- yes, you get to west coast and get on the flight at night, but in most kids' terms this is already the middle of the night and they have been dragged through the airport during what is usually the first third of their night, so by the time they actually get on the plane at let's say 10 PM PT it is really late wherever they are used to.... my kids have so far been okay at this point but it is often breakdown time (seen many kids have tantrums at this point).
- best advice is benadryl, although I know not everyone likes this approach... it must be tested before you go to make sure yours isn't the occasional kid that gets paradoxical hyperactivity from it. I only use this for flying, for both the kids' sanity and yours. If they can't settle once you are on the plane in LA give it then...

of course you asked about toys.... at this age small and frequent new items are good. I remember buying a fancy Manhatten teether wiggler thingy and DS ignored it... what he loved was my impulse purchase of a collection of the small little toys fancy toy stores have right at the front of the store - we did Zany Brainy (now defunct). The toys were all between one and two dollars, were probably all labelled for kids 3 and up - so pick carefully but remember you will be right next to him on the flight. I bought various shakers (egg shaped and otherwise), some weird nubbly balls, bells, a spinning top, you get the idea. Oh and a springy slinky out of plastic (watch that one, several months later I caught DS trying to tie it around his neck, but he loved it on the plane). You can try bubbles but ours leaked.

A side tip I read somewhere on some board a long time ago - you may want to tie a blanket between the seat in front of you and under DC - oftentimes toys go for walks during the long night and it is nice to have a hammock to catch them.

Do you have a seat for him?

I have also seen people wrap small things but one is a little young for that.

Take food, if that isn't obvious, kids are picky and the airlines meals are always at the wrong time.

Are you American or Australian, BTW? I'm an expat Aussie.... I'd love to go Dec and have been eyeing flights sadly as prices are way too high right now...

Ask if you need any other tips!

Have fun,

Naomi
DS 12/02/02
DD 10/18/04

fauve01
10-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Welcome back!

I am very interested in the DVD you mentioned. My DD loves animals and the classical music on the Einstein shows, so she might like that show. our family is a 5+ plane ride away, so i am always on the lookout for good distraction. do you mind sharing where you found it? i didn't see it at amazon or netflix.

TIA!

Anne + DD 10-03

funda62
10-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Personally I wouldn't take very much. Make sure to pack extra snacks and juice boxes, extra diapers wipes and outfits. These will be way more important than toys. Also things that make a lot of noise are not generally appreciated by other passangers so I'd pass on anything that makes lots of beeps or whatever.

A chewy toy (maybe a little stuffed animal with a rattle inside) is good for them at takeoff and landing for their ears.

When flying at this age with my DD she slept a lot so it was good for her to have her own seat with car seat so that I could get up and stretch my legs.

niccig
10-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Naomi,
I'm an expat too. This will be the first time we return with DS. Tickets are far too expensive in December. My two sisters live in the UK, and we've told our parents we should celebrate Christmas in July when there's normally some deals.

DS fits in the bassinet, but I'm now thinking we should have gotten him a seat. We booked our flights when he was only 2 months old and had never flown with him. We're flying with QANTAS. Like you, we'll frequently make this trip.

We need to make a connection in Sydney. Any advice on getting us and DS from the international to the domestic terminal without a stroller? I checked and QANTAS said the stroller will be at baggage claim in Brisbane, eventhough it was gatechecked in LAX.

My Dr. told me to try Benadryl as well. I'll also stock up on quiet small little things to amuse DS. I'll take all his favourite food and enough diapers and clothes for changes. Looks like we're going to have a fair amount of carry-on.

Can you tell I'm not looking forward to this flight? I just don't know how DS will be for such a long period of time.

Nicci

naomi01
10-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Nicci,

I think next time you'll definitely want a seat.... wiggly toddlers and all. It is probably too late for this time, but you never know if it will be a full flight or not.

Are you sure your connection in Sydney involves switching to domestic? The Melbourne flights often just transit in Sydney and you don't clear customs until Melbourne itself. And the lack of stroller at the gate is an enormous pain, I know from experience - they just completely don't get it! If he fits, you can try a baby carrier. If you are really stuck (there is a lot of hand luggage for kids) you can try requesting a Meet and Assist - I did this when I travelled with just DS although it could have been more helpful than it was. In LAX I ended up needing to be much pushier than the old Aussie instincts liked just to get some help getting cases off the carousel while holding a squirming baby and preventing him getting knocked over by other cases.... sorry, that's probably not encouraging... anyway, maybe Brisbane won't be so bad?

As for transiting between terminals if you do have to (I've never done it with kids in OZ, but have in the US), just keep a close count of how many items you have, check everything you really don't need and be glad there are two of you to one of him... I'm at the point where I wonder how we can go anywhere with 2 kids, 2 seats, diaper bag and toy bag and an achy back.

The flipside to all this is how wonderful it is to take them home, feed them yogo and vegemite and show them off to the relatives. Each time I do it I think I don't want to do it again for a long time and then before I know it I am aching to go back.

Qantas is great with the little TVs, even an infant can be mesmorised which is nice... of course I am not sure you get one in the bassinet row, hmmm.... They also had Aussie baby food (although I wouldn't rely on it) which was fun for me to see (you had to ask).

Take extra diapers - you never know. Oh, and Tylenol - once DS spiked a high temp just after we took off, I had nothing but they did give me baby Panadol which was great but again, you can't rely on it.

Try the benadryl - you can regive it after 6 hours if you need to. (don't forget once before you leave as a trial). I wouldn't wipe him out for the whole trip but mostly during the long night when everyone is trying to sleep and the lights are dimmed. When you get to LA, change him for bed. If he can stay up through until after the first meal fine, otherwise put him to sleep ASAP. Then if he wakes in the night phase, give him the benadryl.

I just had a thought you might want to double check - I am almost positive there is a weight limit for the bassinet and I suspect a 1 year old is passed it. While many airlines would look the other way, QA is the worst stickler for the rules (ask me to tell you about my carseat arguments with them some time) and if there is sucha rule they will almost certainly enforce it.
Okay I just checked their website:
"If you require a bassinet onboard, you must notify Qantas at the time of reservation. Bassinets may be requested for infants up to 18 months of age, but the recommended age limit for bassinet use on international flights is eight months. The weight limit is 11kg (25lbs). The bassinet size is 71cm x 31cm (28in x 12in). The depth is approximately 26cm (10.5in). Infants paying 10% of the adult fare who are too large for bassinets are not entitled to a seat and must be nursed. Alternatively, the payment of a child's fare would ensure a seat. Bassinets are subject to availability."
My DD is only 21 lbs so unless he is a big guy you may be okay. If so, and if it is definitely too late for a seat,. you may want to switch to a non-front row seat which has armrests that fold up so that you can stretch him across both of you.

I really think it may not be as bad in terms of entertaining him as you think - they like new environments and new people too and everyone likes to smile and coo at them (although people always look at me apprehensively when I first sit down). I also remember hanging out at the back of the plane in front of the bathrooms feeling grossed out by DS crawling around and how dirty the carpet must be just outside the bathrooms, but DS had a great time playing with a little girl there and got to stretch.

Last thing, if you are the international transit terminal in Sydney, walk around, there is a kids play area they can crawl around which is nice.

Good luck and have fun!

Naomi

niccig
10-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Naomi,
I'm fairly sure we swap terminals in Sydney. That's what I've done so far. It's not too bad, off one plane, into a transit waiting area, on a shuttle bus and off again. DS will just make it interesting. He's still comfortable in the mei tai and I've been using it more of late so he'll be used to it. When it's just me, I'll definitely get a meet n assist. DH tends to be pushier here, and I take on that role when we're in Australia...whinging pom syndrome but for a yank IYKWIM.

DS is little for his age, only 18.5 lbs and 27", so he's still within the bassinet limits. Height may be pushing it though. I am thinking of swapping to a row where the arm rests can be raised. Oh, how I wish we got him a seat. Next time we'll have to as he'll be 2 years old.

I know it will be worth it. Mum has been planning this visit since she left here when DS was 2 weeks old. She has all the baby gear we'll need and Dad redid our old tricycles so DS can go for a spin, even though his feet probably won't reach the peddles. DS is already a vegemite fan much to DH's disgust. He threatens to call child services on me. DS loves it. He shovels the pieces of bread in his mouth as fast as he can. A true Aussie. Next it will be the milo when he's old enough. I have an unopened 1 kg can in the pantry. Someone has to help me get through it.

I think you're right entertaining DS won't be too difficult. I just hope all of us can get enough sleep to make it through the day.

Thanks for your help. Do you want anything from OZ that I can bring back with me....tim tams, cadbury chocolate, twisties, burger rings etc

Nicci

wolverine2
10-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi,
This advice was great... I'm married to an Australian and we took DS when he was 9 weeks- piece of cake compared to what we'll do next summer when he will be 20 months! One thing about the mei tai, which is what we did... they did let us walk through security with him in it in Sydney (transferring to Melbourne), which was great, because in American airports I've usually had to take it off and put it through security. I'm sure it will be harder to manage all the stuff with a convertible car seat as well.
We're debating about buying a seat or not.. so expensive! Last time we went we didn't buy one (had the bassinet), but every leg we had an empty seat and the airport personnel were nice enough to block the empty seat off so we had the car seat on all flights. Is it too much to hope that it will happen again? We took United last time... maybe we'll try for Quantas if they have TV's.
Carrie

niccig
10-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Carrie,
Before booking with QANTAS, you may want to ask Naomi about her car seat experiences. QANTAS have strict rules about car seats. Also if you gate check your stroller here in USA, you won't get it back for a connecting flight out of Sydney, you get it at baggage claim at your final destination. I think they could be a PITA, so I'm considering flying with Air NZ in future.

Naomi, could you tell us about your issues with QANTAS? Fore warned and all that.

Thanks.

naomi01
10-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Nicci-

Thanks for the offer, but if I get desperate Mum just mails stuff. One recent find you might like is vegemite in squeeze tubes - so much easier to travel with and dispense. At the start I figured it would be less wastage (I don't like using the same spoon with the butter as I want it to keep as long as possible so I dump some on the edge of the plate....) but it is so much more convenient in the tube we just go through more anyway! And my DH completely agrees about it being "disgusting" - but so important when you're homesick :-)

Have fun!

Carrie-
Actually I believe Qantas will not allow you to take the carseat on through the gate "just in case" the way United does. Also, for some reason most times we have flown with UA there have been spare seats compared with almost never with QA. (of course UA is having financial problems) . Having said that, I still prefer Qantas, even if they can be snooty about carseats I love a nonstop from LA to Melbourne (esp with the kids) and the TVs are nice and it makes me feel I'm coming home...

It is horrible juggling the Britax with everything else but I have researched about the air turbulence and have been forced to acknowledge its just safer... but it is horrendously expensive too. Also, although it is not why I do it, they look so much more comfy asleep in the carseat with some little headrests on the plane than do the kids wiggling in their parents' laps (sorry Nicci!). I flew several weeks ago just domestically with two convertibles and it was torture getting on and off.

Naomi

californiagirl
10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
We hate Qantas, but we did succeed in forcing them to let us use a rear-facing Roundabout when DD was 5 months. People with forward-facing seats had less trouble. If you are on internal Australia flights it's worth calling Qantas in advance to have them authorize the seat. There's no problem with an FAA-approved seat, but it makes your life easier to have all the right markings in the computer system, which they can't do at the airport, you have to call ahead. (Or if they can, they don't know how.)

If you want to use a car seat Qantas is your only domestic Australia choice. Virgin Blue doesn't allow them at all.

niccig
10-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Naomi,
I agree that the car seat is a far better way for the little ones to travel. DS has his own seat when we fly for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, we booked the Australian flight when DS was 2 months old, and before we knew any better. This will be the only time we make that mistake.

Nicci

naomi01
10-28-2005, 04:57 PM
For the person who asked re my problems with Qantas in carseats, I have forgotten some of the specifics but the following sums it up;

- firstly we had read you needed to register your seat with them, had carefully done so prior to the day, but on the day were told it hadn't been approved even though we were told it had.... I stood my ground and eventually got it on
- the second time we flew we checked twice before travelling and were told it was all in the system correctly, but when our boarding passes printed somehow the relevant info was not printed so we had to have the argument again
- meantime another mother whose company had purchased a seat for her DS was told hers had not been pre-approved and they took hers away and checked it - her infant was only 2m old and i don't care if it was approved or not, it had to be safer and more comfortable to just let her take the baby carseat!... but that was her argument not mine
- at some point when DS was about 11m I was told by the stewardess that he had to be forward facing (aussie infants are turned around at 9m) - this was just wrong and I eventually made such a pain of myself that she went away (too many years in america :-) ).

I have to say as a more tired mommy of two, when I flew recently on Southwest there was simply insufficient room to rear face DD and not have her suspended in the air and the carseat all wiggly, after much fiddling I concluded it was better to forward face her and have the carseat solidly belted in than have her rear-facing but not a tight installation - also I figure any carseat is better than none.

I have no idea why Qantas is such a pain about this (and I will keep in mind PP's comment re Virgin Blue). In terms of the rear facing I kind of do understand if the person in front can't lean back and is extra unhappy with them, but there was no one in front in this case...anyway, apparently I still want to fly them (just with lots of phonecalls ahead of time and a helmet for bashing my head against the wall.... ;-)

It's nice to meet some other mothers who've taken the long haul with kids on the board!

Naomi

wolverine2
10-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Wow, I had no idea that car seats could be an issue. When we took United we just had it with us the whole time and gate checked it if there wasn't an open seat. (Only happened once on a domestic US leg). On our LA-SYD trip, we actually had the carseat on the plane and they weren't sure the seat was going to be open... they put it in an overhead bin and then gave it back to us when they realized it was open. On Qantas do they only let you take the seat if you have a seat? What percentage of adult fares are the child seats? We'll have to do some serious thinking about buying a seat for next summer, unless we take United and can be as lucky as last time. At 20 months I couldn't imagine him not in a seat. We would go insane!
Carrie

niccig
10-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Airlines operating from other countries have very different rules and regulations for car seats as they operate under the laws of their home country and not the country of departure. So you can't expect the same policies as on US domestic airlines. Just call ahead of time and ask if you have any questions.

I'm fairly sure QANTAS only lets you use a car seat if you've paid for the seat for your DC.

I can't remember the exact percentage with QANTAS...but if DS had a seat it would've been more than 50% of the adult fare...or maybe it was 50% + taxes (which are a lot for international tickets). Anyway, 50% of nearly $2000 is $$. Granted we're flying at the peak of peak seasons in Dec - Christmas + Aussie summer + Aussie school holidays. I saw deals for adults $999 return with QANTAS from about Feb-Oct of this year - that's the off peak season for Australia's travel industry. I think Air NZ had something similar. So shop around before buying tickets. That's when we're going to try and visit in future. But Christmas on the beach is soooooooooooooooooo nice.

Nicci

naomi01
10-30-2005, 09:54 AM
We have paid for many seats for both under and over two.... on domestic it isn't too bad, 50% plus taxes in the US (don't know about Australia). International on both United and Qantas was 75% plus tax (regardless for infant or child in a seat).

One tip, Southwest airlines discounted fares are usually best online, but if you've missed the really cheap ones you can try calling and they have both infant and child fares (about 55% and 90%) at a guess. I have had some pleasant experiences whereby for a child under two if you get there you can ask if the flight is heavily sold and if they say it is half empty you can choose not to ticket the baby, make them a "lap"child and still take your seat on with you. I would not do this if they tell you it is almost booked or heavily sold. Then you can use the credit later (I think you can even get a full refund on that portion of the flight). One hiccup we had with this was when I didn't have a immunisation record or other ID for DS to prove he was under two (which he was by a lot). But they told me to pay for the seat and I'd get the money back when I wrote in to complain and give the ID proof.... it took a little while but I did.

Which reminds me about the other thing that infuriates me about Qantas.... they keep asking over and over again "does that child have a seat?" like you a some sort of criminal trying to sneak a carseat on board. Other airlines (including southwest) do this too.... It offends me because I do pay for a seat and especially when they are oversold they act like you are somehow stealing a seat from a more worthy passenger :-(

And yes, qantas only lets you bring the seat if you paid for it (even if they do have spares, although perhaps a nice stewardess might relax on that - it seems a strict policy though).
Naomi