PDA

View Full Version : How many toys are you giving DC for the holidays?

KBecks
10-24-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm having a very hard time restraining myself. I wanted to limit Alek's toys (from us) to 3, but I've already got 3 and want maybe just one more.

We got him the Barclay blocks for his Birthday and we love them!
I ordered more for Christmas. (If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the Walker book and walker book kit and just divided it up into 2 or 3 presents. It looks like a cool book.)

We also have a very simple wooden puzzle and a wood alphabet block set.

I'd like to get him either a Fisher Price corn popper or a Little Tykes lawn mower (some kind of walking toy).

Then I read here about playsilks, but I think I'll hold off on those and get him one or two for his Easter basket.

How do you restrain yourselves? I'm keeping a little list of things that I think would be good for future gifts.

P.S. Alek's birthday party was great, and we had a manageable amount of presents -- like 8 total -- lots and lots of the toys are loud and annoying! But, that's OK. I just hope that Christmas from our relatives doesn't bring more of the same.

Raidra
10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, our family usually goes all out for Christmas, but we rarely buy him toys when it's not either his birthday or a holiday. Colwyn's getting a Maxim Tumble Treehouse (or whatever it's called), two playsilks, and several other $20ish presents - most likely wooden trucks, animal sets, etc. I also want to get him a lot of art supplies, as we only have one set of crayons and one set of markers, and some plain white paper. We'll probably spend $300 on his Xmas presents. My parents are getting him a plasma car and several other things (I'm not sure which).. and who knows what my husband's side of the family will get him.

Lachlann is a bit harder because we already have so many toys from when Colwyn was a baby. We are going to get him a Tiny Love crib toy (the one that's a circle and double sided) and some Haba rattles. I may also get him a Waldorf-y towel doll. We'll probably only spend $100-$150 on him.

sntm
10-26-2005, 04:01 AM
I'm getting him a fair amount. Call it working mama guilt, plus the knowledge that no one else will listen to my gift suggestions for him.

HearthSong Balancing moon game
HearthSong My place for art (portfolio)
HearthSong Zoo sticks
For Small Hands "Go Togethers" cards
For Small Hands "Opposites" cards
For Small Hands Wikki stix -- maybe
For Small Hands Japanese Brush painting -- maybe, more for me ;)
For Small Hands Fiskars scissors
For Small Hands Wooden stringing beads
For Small Hands Wooden drum -- either these two
For Small Hands Hohner rhythm instruments --
Back to Basics Rhythm set -- or this one
Magic Cabin Natural watercolors
Magic Cabin Frog puppet
Magic Cabin Bunny puppet
Magic Cabin Playdough tool set

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

justlearning
10-26-2005, 05:56 AM
We're getting DS a toddler trampoline and probably around 5 smaller gifts ($5-$10 range). He may get one or two other gifts from grandparents, but that's all he will get. I have some friends whose kids get a ton of stuff from relatives, so they usually don't give many gifts to their kids themselves.

HeatherW
10-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Just thought I would say that I hear ya on the working mother guilt!
There must be some sort of group for people like us!

H

crayonblue
10-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Lauren is getting:

Kidkraft wooden kitchen (the small one that was on clearance at TRU)
Kidkraft blender set
Kidkraft coffee maker set
Kidkraft mixer set
Kidkraft toaster set

DH will probably buy the new Veggie Tales Lord of the Beans DVD.

Whatever her grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. decide to buy her.

brittone2
10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
2 Train sets and the turntable to go with his train table. We weren't going to do the train table originally but I changed my mind LOL ;) So that will be all set up for him Christmas morning.

Other than that, it will be mostly stocking stuffers, which are mostly done. Train whistle, a set of little bendy people from PBK that we got for super cheap several months ago, a set of road signs that were on clearance at TRU, some small books and the 99 cent sticker books from AC Moore (we have animals, dinos, and a few others), 4 little wooden vehicles I bought at a yard sale. I'm making him a few felted wool animals and some beanbags to put in there. Socks? Maybe some Gymboree bubbles as we haven't tried those yet and DS loooves his bubbles ;) That ought to fill up his stocking without any problem.

I'm going to attempt to do an Advent kind of calendar with him this year, so some of the small items might end up being a part of that. I am going to make some felted wool animals, and we have a bunch of Christmas books that we'll probably hand out as a countdown to Christmas too.

ETA: we have stockmar beeswax crayons in block form...I picked up some stockmar stick crayons at the Waldorf school store the other day and will put those in DS's stocking too. He'll probably get a big art tablet (we get them at AC Moore or Michaels), most likely watercolor paper.

new_mommy25
10-26-2005, 07:09 PM
We're getting DS a wooden kitchen. I have some kitchen accesories (pots and pans etc.) in the closet that I bought eons ago so he will get those too. I also want to get him the wooden fruit and veggie set from NovaNatural.com.

For his stocking I am for sure planning on a few of Juliet's playsilks, a new Thomas train. Then I'll add whatever other little things strike my fancy. It'll likely be things like bubble bath or bath confetti, Alex bath crayons (his favorite!), a new book, sticker books and so forth.

From the family I am requesting kitchen or train accesories, books and art supplies. Last year I set up a wish list on Target.com and was pleasently surprised that a lot of my family members stuck to it. I'm really hoping someone gives him the M&D play food set and cutting food. I'm asking my mom to either sew or make him a boy doll. She made all my dolls when I was a child but I know she is pressed for time these days. Otherwise I am thinking a boy cabbage patch kid would be nice though they are hard to find it seems.

tarahsolazy
10-27-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm trying to keep it simple:

Waldorf doll from www.whereswaldorf.com
About 8 small Holztiger animals
A Magnadoodle
Maybe Signing Time vol 7-9 if its available.
Probably a few books.

My parents are got him Barclay Blocks, and my IL's never go overboard, I hope they ask, in which case I will request a Thomas figure 8 set.

kath68
10-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Fortunately (?) my entire family is full of holiday minimalists, so we won't be buying/receiving much. Maybe a present per person (including us). He already has plenty; he is more of a book/ball/block/crayon kind of kid (anything he can throw), so the battery toys are a waste for him, IMO.

I have the working mom guilt, too, but since he spends his days at daycare, he really doesn't have a lot of time to play at home with a ton of toys (we tend to be out and about and not in the house). I say, let daycare deal with all the cluttery toys that annoy me and he likes. I can select carefully the more manageable ones for home.

But, I do want to get him some basic rhythm/music toys. And I will suggest some art supplies and train pieces to my family for gift ideas. Maybe some matchbox-type cars, too, since he is currently into the "beep beeps". His 2nd birthday is in April, at which point I think I'll start focusing in on dress up/imaginary play (if that is what he is into).

eb1
11-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Just bumping this up, since we're getting closer...

DS is getting more wooden blocks, some Thomas stuff, playsilks, art supplies, books, the Here Come the ABCs dvd, and a handmade child's broom. I seriously think he's going to be most excited about the broom and the ABC dvd.

Oh, and I think some more balls and a puzzle. I think that gift-wise it's going to be a low-key Christmas.

kaileysmom
11-18-2005, 07:24 PM
DD is getting quite a few things from us. There are things I want her to have for later, but her birthday is in November so there is a huge gap. I too am planning not to buy anything outside of Christmas, Birthday, and Easter.

KidKraft Wooden Kitchen
M&D wooden food group
Pots & Pans
M&D Band in a Box
Bongos (Not sure which kind yet)
Magnadoodle Doodle Pro
Wooden Puzzles
Parents Magazine Wood Trike from Costco
FP LP A-Z Learning Zoo
Wooden Blocks ( I have the High 5 set from Small World Toys and maybe some more)
Crayons
Drawing Paper

Grandparents are getting her a wagon and who knows what else! First granchild on both sides :)

I do have a question, and I hope it's not dumb. What are the playsilks for? I see a lot of posts about them and just wondering how does DC play with them?

kaileysmom
11-18-2005, 07:42 PM
OT - But I just saw this on the creativebrainsonline.com as the toy deal of the day. I had never heard of it and thought it looked so neat. Your DS should love it! Not sure if you already bought it, but it's $87.77 on their site.

eb1
11-18-2005, 08:01 PM
The playsilks can be for dress-up or props or just swirling around, anything. Here are some links to threads where people have posted pictures of their kids dressing up/playing with the silks:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=41767&mesg_id=41767&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=32690&mesg_id=32690&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=19344&mesg_id=19344&listing_type=search

I think in those threads, everyone purchased from Juliet (www.bumbershootbaby.com), who is a member of the BBB. But there are a bunch of sites where you can get the silks. HTH.

tina-t
11-18-2005, 08:08 PM
We are trying to restrain ourselves and limit the gifts to 2. One will be a train table. We have not decided what the other gift will be.

julieakc
11-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a HUGE problem restraining myself! Admittedly I don't try very hard. DS's BD is in Feb., so I am already done with both Christmas and most of his BD presents. Here's what he's getting for Christmas:

1) Cozy Coupe and gas pump
2) Magna Doodle
3) Wooden block train
4) Several books
5) Small wooden plane
6) Wooden snake beads
7) Wooden Ferris Wheel shape sorter
8) Cash register (might hold this one for BD)
9) puzzle
10) CD
11) small trumpet
12) small car
13) small tone block
14) doggy xylophone/paino
15) Remo tom drum (might hold this one for BD)
16) Wild Animal Baby Subscription
17) ABC Blocks

I might be forgetting some things too! Some of the smaller things will be stocking stuffers. And I have a list almost as long for BD too!

My mom is getting him:

1) Little People set
2) large crawl tunnel

MIL is getting him Signing Time vol.4-6 set

He will also get something from BIL and undoubtedly from some friends. Although I am trying to resist buying more stuff if I come across a good deal or see something that I really want him to have he may end up with more! DS is developmentally delayed so I think I am over anxious to get a wide variety of toys to practice different skills....but then again I think toys are so cute that I'd probably be the same even if he wasn't delayed! LOL

s7714
11-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Glad I came across this thread--it's making me feel less guilty! ;)

For Anna, so far I've gotten:
1) Kettler Trike
2) Aquadoodle Mat
3) Little People Discovery Village
4) Bucket of Playdoh and accessories
5) Harmonica (stocking gift)
6) Little People Christmas People (stocking gift)
7) Two Dragon Tales books (her fav. show right now)
8) Stuffed Dragon Tale character
9) Dora & Boots foam "hopscotch" play mat
10) Art Easel (will actually be a gift for both girls)
I may leave some stuff out and add stuff in depending on what else I find before Christmas.

For Sophie I honestly haven't bought anything yet. I'm planning on waiting until I can leave Annie at home with DH, otherwise she'll want and think everything I'm buying is for her to play with when she gets home.

One of my MILs is a mega present buyer, so no doubt they'll be getting a lot of stuff from her too. I try to limit my present buying because I know they'll get so much from her, but it's hard. Especially since this is the first year Annie will really get the whole Santa Claus and present aspect.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

Tracey
11-19-2005, 02:53 AM
I'm done shopping for DD. I'm satisfied with what I bought in comparison to last year. I have had another year to get to know her and see where her interests lie. Here's the list.

*doll, white wicker pram and cradle
*fisher-price loving family townhouse with extra people and furniture sets
*Mr. Potato Head
*table and chairs
*tabletop puppet theatre and puppets
*wall easel and chalk
*puzzles
*large magnet and a box of colored paper clips

Stocking stuffers: bubbles, coloring books, crayons, kaleidoscope, magnifying glass

A couple of things that I know relatives are getting her because they asked and I picked them out :P : This playstore set from my sister
http://images.etoys.com/g/toys/big/387370.jpg
This cute little cottage from MIL
http://store1.yimg.com/I/trains-4-tots_1870_57638912.jpg
My aunt bought DD a silver tea set while she was in Europe. Mother let that one slip.

kaileysmom
11-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh, ok. Those are really nice. They seem like they would make a really nice Easter basket item Thanks for the information and the links.

linsei
11-21-2005, 01:54 AM
LOL, my family is full of holiday minimalists also! I'm awed by what some of my friends tell me about their gift-giving/receiving experiences.

Seriously, this is probably the last year that my ds will not have specific requests of his own wants, and I'm planning on taking full advantage of that. If I *were* to go all out, my "no holding back" list for him would include:

wooden kitchen, complete with food
wooden rocking horse
the ride-on Thomas set, complete with track
train table with normal sized train
kinderzeat
peg puzzles
play silks
sand box
wagon
tricycle

I don't plan to buy all of that - probably just a couple of things.

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

aliceinwonderland
11-21-2005, 09:50 AM
We already bought him the Mambo COmbo thing which is usurping my living room (WAH!) and we're getting him one more thing, the Bitty Twisn (boy, we're splitting with another BBBer). And three books I recently ordered.

the ILs are giving him a train table, and we'll be away for Christmass plus we're on a budget...

laretce6
11-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Part of me thinks we (and by we I mean "I" LOL) went way overboard and part of me thinks it's totally justified because we only buy toys for Christmas and her birthday and because I'm still at around $150. We'll definitely do less next year as I'm really hoping next year to convince our families to do a really scaled back Christmas and instead make a significant charitable donation.

Ellie is getting:

A wooden kitchen (consigment sale score at only $30!)
Wood & things deluxe instrument set (TJ maxx clearance)
Bombay kids drum set (with 40% off coupon)
Little Tikes wooden pound a ball set (TJ maxx clearance)
2 Scholastic flash card sets (TJ maxx clearance)
Little people animal set (noah's ark add-on one, target clearance)
wooden alphabet blocks (hearthsong outlet)
basic wooden peg puzzle (TRU clearance)
stuffed turtle from April Cornell (clearance)
Books, books, and more books (TJ maxx clearance, book closeouts and buy.com credit card points)
stocking stuffers (egg shaker, stickers, stockmar crayons, new bib, toddler spoons, wooden peg people, etc.)

I still want to get her a very basic set of duplos, a LP christmas tube and maybe the LP Noah's ark (only $10 at wal-mart on black friday!), but I'm trying to exhibit self control. One of the problems I find with finding things on clearance and buying ahead is that I still want to buy when the holiday arrives so next year I'm going to try not to buy much at all ahead. Of course I already have some things put away for her birthday and next Christmas, LOL.

ILs are giving her the radio flyer ride on pony and M&D geometric stacker, my mom is giving her a tunnel.

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

ett
11-21-2005, 10:19 PM
DS is getting the following for Christmas:
Aquadoodle
Wood n Things musical instruments set
Several Thomas trains
Playsilks
Wooden school bus
Playhut school bus
Books

The ILs gave us money to get stuff for DS. I'm thinking about getting the following things, though I probably won't give them all to him for Christmas.
Thomas scrub and shine
Thomas ice cream factory
Holztiger animals
Plan City Garage and Deluxe Road System
Babystyle shape sorter puzzle board

My parents will get clothes for DS.