PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me a train primer??

aliceinwonderland
10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
My head hurts, I'd be forever grateful...
So we need a train table, what should this look like? And then the pieces, Thomas and the like. Are these all the same brand? Are they cheapo plastic? Is it true that Costco has a nice train table at Xmas time??

Any thoughts, pictures, specific brand suggestions are oh so welcome!!

clueless mom of sudden choo-choo lover :)

PS. All we have now is the IKEA set. So we need everything.

octmom
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
We got the Costco table last fall and it is great. It's made by Kidkraft, if I remember correctly. They change the pieces that come with it each year, and I think this year's table is a slightly darker, honey color (nicer, IMO) than the one we bought last year. If I were you, I would start off with the table, the pieces that come with it, and the Ikea trains you have already before making a big investment in Thomas stuff. We had other toys (Little People garage) on top of ours forever. DS just got some Thomas stuff in the mail from a friend of mine for his bday, so I am slowly going to buy some of the Thomas pieces if he seems to like them. My friend sent the water tower figure eight set and Cranky the Crane. We haven't set it up yet, since DS's bday is this Saturday.

HTH!

ETA: the pieces from our Costco table last year are wooden, not plastic, and I'll bet they are wooden again this year. The table itself is a composite material, I think. Wood-grain finish, but not solid wood.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://bd.lilypie.com/UB6Bm4/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

aliceinwonderland
10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks Jerilyn, that's very useful.

I am now so bummed we did not renew our Costco card, but for our family of 4, I just could not justify it and was spending a whole lot more than saving! But we're asking around freinds and family who may have a current one.

So would the Thomas pieces fit with the train table. And the Thomas stuff is plastic, correct? DS does not watch TV so I do not know why I ask about Thomas, but just from reading here it sounds like Thomas=Trains :)

August Mom
10-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Most people here with Thomas have the Thomas Wooden Railway System. The trains, track and destinations/accessories are mostly wooden. The wheel on the trains are plastic, but the bodies are painted wood.

We have had Thomas for over a year and don't have a train table. I thought we'd want one, but DS makes such big layouts, they wouldn't fit on a train table anyway, so we've decided to pass on getting one.

If you aren't into Thomas, then I'd probably get some Brio train items to add to your collection. It's high quality but without the faces on the trains and commercial character elements. I always recommend a figure-8 set plus an expansion set for those starting out.

ett
10-25-2005, 03:16 PM
The Thomas trains and tracks from Learning curve are wooden. They are compatible with the Costco set, with Brio, with the Ikea set, and usually with other wooden tracks.

Learning Curve also makes a Take Along Thomas series (sold at Target and I think Toysrus) that have plastic tracks and die-cast metal trains. These are not compatible with the wooden tracks and trains.

We have wooden generic trains, Thomas trains, and Brio trains. The Thomas trains are by far the best quality (and most expensive!) so I think that's why they get discussed here the most. Some of the Brio trains that I've seen seem to be mostly plastic as opposed to wooden.

August Mom
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Edited to delete duplicate post.

octmom
10-25-2005, 03:19 PM
We don't have a Costco in my town, so I ride on my mom's second card when I need to. Before you head to Costco to buy a table, call ahead to ask if they have it (I think I read a post last week about some Costcos running low) and be sure to bring strong people to help load and unload it. It was a HEAVY box.

I haven't even opened the Thomas stuff that Sean just got, but I am fairly certain the tracks are all wooden. Not sure about the train cars, but I thought they were mainly wooden too. I think there are lots of Thomas experts here, so I'm sure one of them will chime in soon. I think Lori (momof3labs) knows a lot about Thomas stuff.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://bd.lilypie.com/UB6Bm4/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

muskiesusan
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
A train table can be nice, but not necessary. We rarely use ours for trains anymore as Nick prefers to set up big layouts that don't fit. We did enjoy the train table when he was younger as he preferred to stand and play, also when Alex was younger it gave him a place to play w/out the baby destoying the setup.

If you decide to skip the Costco table, a nice way to start is to get a big set from Target. The track is compatible and is a nice way to get a lot of stuff cheaply. Christmas last year they also sold a ten? pack of train cars which are dead on the Thomas trains w/out the faces. I almost wish we had just stuck with those as the Thomas train cars drive me nuts (Thomas stuff is everywhere and whenever Nick sees it he wants it).

We supplement our trains with Thomas and Brio bridges, buildings, car wash, etc (these pieces don't shout the brand, which is nice). I have been picking up Thomas pieces at Michaels with the 40% off coupons and they also carry Figure 8 sets.

We have stuff from Brio, Thomas, Ikea, Target, Imaginarium (TRU brand) and other misc track and it all held up well.

Alex loves trains as well, although he is more a fan of tearing the track up. We have one battery powered train and he loves to watch it go around the track.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Mommaof2
10-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the Target train tip for the big gift pack. I'll keep my eyes open for it.