PDA

View Full Version : Slant/Fin Humidifier with digital humidistat

tny915
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Our whole house is dealing with colds and flus, so for the past few days I've been on a search for another humidifier to supplement our cheapo Vicks warm mist machine. I'd heard good things about the Slant/Fin warm mist models from both here and my local mom's group, but I'd read here complaints that there was no humidistat.

I just picked up a Slant/Fin with a digital humidistat from Bed Bath & Beyond. The model number is GF-211D, and it's one of their cheaper models with a single tank. With the 20% off coupon and it worked out to just $69.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13875600

I don't know if this is a new model or what. I've tried to do internet searches for the model number and can't seem to come up with these anywhere except Bed Bath, so I wanted to share here in case anyone else is dealing with colds and looking for a good warm mist humidifier with a humidistat.

knoble
01-04-2006, 12:30 PM
We are expecting first in three weeks, and dealing with colds/dry weather ourselves.

Just curious, after a few months of use did you still like the Slant/Fin model you bought from BBB?

Any suggestions regarding use?

renefjr
01-04-2006, 01:13 PM
We have the exact model bought from BBandB about 2 months ago. I think it's one of the better humidifiers out there because of the UV light and the boiling of the water. The little medicine cap worked great with the Vicks vapor liquid. My only complaint would be the "water mineral crust" that forms after a few weeks. But that is due to our local water supply. It cleans up easily and there's no wick filter that you have to mess with.
Just last week, though, we had a whole house humidifier installed that works great! Highly recommend going that route if possible.

tny915
01-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi,
Yes, I still love the Slant/Fin. We only use it when DD has a cold and have had to bring out twice since I first bought it. It really seemed to help her breathing at night. She has a really small bedroom (maybe 10x8? not sure) and we keep her door closed at night. It works very well in that space, and I would buy another if we need one in the future. I love that the humidistat shuts it off when it reaches the desired humidity, so we don't wake up damp drippy windows like we did with my previous cheapo Vicks humidifier.

My only complaint is that the light is VERY bright, much brighter than DD's nightlight, so the first time we used it, she had trouble sleeping. We just cover the tank with aluminum foil and it does the trick.

ETA: We get the mineral deposits as well, especially when we leave it on all day, but it cleans up very easily with a brief vinegar soak. I've found it very easy to maintain.

chlobo
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
how loud is it?

tny915
01-05-2006, 12:02 AM
It's not very loud at all. We keep DD's white noise machine on low at night, and the sound of the humidifier's comparable to that.

jnb
02-02-2006, 01:07 PM
tny915 Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for the info on the Slant/Fin Germ-Free Warm Mist Humidifier model GF-211D.

Our house is very dry. We are still pregnant and both my husband and I have been waking up feeling very dry. We have resorted to turning off the radiator in our bedroom at night to reduce the morning dryness. This has helped a little but we both feel we still need a good humidifier. I have been hesitant to use our cool mist humidifier because it tends to grow green stuff and I don’t want that in our air especially when DS arrives.
Furthermore, several level 2 ultrasounds have indicated that my amniotic fluids have been on the low side. I am drinking extra fluids, especially generic Pedialyte from Walmart/Target, to increase my amniotic fluid level. This has helped as my last level 2 ultrasound indicated that my amniotic fluids have finally increased. We believe that our dry house is where I am loosing the moisture. I will be buying this Humidifier ASAP. I’ve researched every humidifier I could find and this one looks like the best quality with the least maintenance costs. It is antibacterial and has all the features I want; now that I know the GF-211G has a digital humidistat that not only lets you set the desired level of humidity but also reports the current humidity level in the room (the GF-200B doesn’t report the current humidity level in the room). The GF-211D has a Teflon coating on its stainless steel hot water reservoir that makes cleaning any mineral deposits much easier, (the GF-200 B doesn’t have this either).
God bless you tny915.

chlobo
02-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Where did youfind the info about the different models? I want the digita; himidistat but not the tefloncoating.

chlobo
02-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Where did youfind the info about the different models? I want the digita; himidistat but not the tefloncoating.