PDA

View Full Version : Train Set or a Kitchen for a 19 mo old?

ribbit1019
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
DD will be almost 19 months this Christmas and my parents want to get her one or the other. Grandpa wants to get her the train set, Grandma wants to get her the kitchen.

So they asked me to decide. *sigh*

I think she might be too young for a train set. What do you think mamas?

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

brittone2
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
They are both good gifts. My DS started pushing just the trains themselves around (without using them on track) around 12-15 months. By 15 months he was interested in train tables/trains at places like Barnes and Noble. We started around 12 months with just the Ikea figure 8 set which comes with four train cars for under 20 bucks. Once we knew he was interested in trains, I started picking up pieces gradually and he got a train here or there in an Easter basket, etc.

I think you can get an inexpensive train set for less money than you'd spend on a kitchen (Target has inexpensive sets) so I'd have the grandparents buy the kitchen for now. Buy a cheapo set of trains and see if DD has any interest before you shell out big money for the pricier sets.

Momof3Labs
10-26-2005, 03:49 PM
DS got his first train set at 15 months and loooooved it!! It was fun to see him discover how it worked, how to put the trains together, how the magnets matched up, etc.

The kitchen set, however, languished for probably a year or more before he was interested in it. Though other kids DS's age would come over and play with the kitchen earlier than that. DS is pretty mechanically minded, so perhaps that is why the train set was better for him at that age. Is your DD more interested in imitating you, or in how things work? Maybe that will help you decide.

And do we really have 127 days to go? Oh, man, this is going to be a long winter...

tny915
10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Well, I think it depends on the child, but here's what worked for us.

We started out with the figure 8 IKEA set a few months ago, and while DD is interested in it, interest comes and goes so I'm glad we started with the small set as opposed to a huge train table. We currently have the figure 8 set packed away in one of her toy bins, and she hasn't asked for it in a couple weeks.

The kitchen on the other hand, DD plays with almost every day. Even when she doesn't play with the actual kitchen, she loves playing with the food, pots, pans, utensils, etc. A lot of it is mimicking what she sees in books and what she sees us do. (I'm embarrassed to say she uses the microwave to cook more than the stove.)

So I'd suggest the kitchen, start with a small train set to gauge interest, and if anything have Grandpa save a train table for the 2nd birthday gift if he's still set on getting one. Personally we do plan on getting a train table eventually, and we'd use the table for more than trains - block play, maybe small art projects, and we'd use the trundles for toy storage.

TahliasMom
10-26-2005, 03:55 PM
DD loves her kitchen and fridge set. we also got her some alex pots and pans and some food from melissa and doug. she cooks on it a lot and tries to feed her doll, stuffed animals, the dog and us. we got it on clearance at babystyle.com so we lucked out. But i would say kitchens are way more expensive so i would ask for that as a gift. you can pick up a train table at costco for under $130 I believe. i think we're going to get one for dd and maybe hold on to it until her 2nd b-day in May. or maybe we'll start with the IKEA one and see how it goes!

Mommaof2
10-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I hate to sound sexist but my daughter has enjoyed her kitchen much more than trains. NOW at 3.5 she's just starting to get into trains. I'd do the kitchen first then next year let them get you the train set :)

lizamann
10-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Hmmm, maybe there's a pattern here? DD has both a Thomas set and a nice kitchen. She plays with both, but plays with the kitchen MUCH more often.

ribbit1019
10-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I thought you meant Christmas! I was like "No, Christmas is way closer than that..." Then it dawned on me, duh. Yes, winter will be very, very long this year. I am in search of a warm (and stretchy) coat!

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

dules
10-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Can you go to a store and see what she gravitates to? Our local Learning Express has the kitchen and trains set up about 5 feet apart and DD happily plays in there. I think the slight edge goes to the kitchen (she's almost 2) but she loves the trains.

It helps, I think, that we live in a town that has an NYC Commuter Rail coming through all day...so she has been very aware of Choo Choos for some time now.

I don't think you can go wrong, but as the PP said, trains are more affordable so I'd probably pick the kitchen. Then you (or the grandparents) could get her a small train set for her birthday...

Best,
Mary

caheinz
10-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Heh. This isn't going to help you any, but we're giving DS a train table and a grandpa is giving him a kitchen for Christmas.

We've already given DS some Thomas pieces and some play food, so we think he'll play with both. My guess is that the train table with get more play early on (he loves them in stores!), and the kitchen a little later... (But, I do think he'll be playing with both before next Christmas rolls around...)

bluestar2
10-29-2005, 03:03 AM
I have 22 month old twins (boy/girl) and have a train set and am planning on getting the kitchen for Christmas. For what it's worth, DS LOVES the trains and DD can take them or leave them. I've never encouraged nor discouraged either one of them from playing with trains, it's just that DS gravitates toward them and DD doesn't. I think DS will love the kitchen as well since he likes to "help" me with house chores and is very interested when I cook. I know DD will like it since she already plays with the play food we have. I agree with the PP that you may want to try and see which she would like better at a store or friend's house but lean toward having the grandparents get the kitchen ;)