PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Opinions on FP Peek A Block Incrediblock

NewGrandma
10-27-2005, 07:00 PM
My grandson loves his FP Peek a Blocks and I am considering buying him the Incrediblock. If your child has this toy I would LOVE to hear your opinions about it. I think this toy is a bit pricey and I want to feel more confident that this is a toy that he will love and love for a while! My grandson is currently in OT for his fine motor skills as he was born 3 months prematurely. His adjusted age is
11 1/2 months old. I thought it would be a great toy for helping with this. What ages do you find this an entertaining toy for? Also, if you know of someplace that sells this for less than the $50 I keep finding please share it with me. Even used ones on Ebay are selling for that price with shipping.
Thanks a bunch!
Linda

dules
10-27-2005, 08:24 PM
We have this toy, my daughter got it for her first birthday. I was worried this was too late but it turned out well for her. She was just starting to stand and this is a very stable toy with interesting things on top, so she felt confident standing and playing with it.

She still plays with it today and she'll be two in a month.

I don't remember exactly what we paid but it was a slight bargain off the going price. I believe we got it at Toys R Us but it might have been Target. At very least you might be able to find a $10 off $50 coupon for Toys R Us, or a % off Fisher Price at Target (I've seen both of those lately, I think in the Bargains forum).

Good luck!

Best,
Mary

lilycat88
10-27-2005, 11:31 PM
We have it. It was a gift from grandparents for Susanna's first birthday. I know some people *love* it but I'm in the *it's soso" category. I wouldn't have purchased it myself and wouldn't now. DD plays with it on and off. She really wasn't that interested in it for several weeks after she got it. Then, she figured out that pushing the button on top made it start the music. She liked that. As far as putting the blocks in the square on top, she's not totally figured that out yet. It's hit or miss as far as whether she gets the right side down to make the thing *do* something. If she tried a couple of sides and nothing happens, she just gets irritated and leaves it alone. DD had a bit of a gross motor delay and she did use it to pull up on. It is quite sturdy as long as the child is. Susanna would lean into it for balance at the beginning and the darn thing would scoot across the carpet and she would end up on her face. Not so good. As far as helping with fine motor skills, I'm thinking there might be better and less expensive options out there. We didn't struggle with fine motor so I'll have to think about what those options might be. I'll try to find some of the "fine motor skill toy" links if I can find them.

Overall, in my opinion, it's overpriced for a toy with a fairly limited lifespan. I can't imagine it being around here by spring.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

MissyL11
10-28-2005, 10:09 AM
I purchased it for my daughter last Christmas. She has recently turned a year old and loves this toy. She had no interested in it until she could pull herself up on it and play. She plays with it everday and enjoys it. I think that toys r'us might have it for around $50.00. That is where we got in last year and we paid around $50.00 for it. Hope this helps

Missy

Raidra
10-28-2005, 12:17 PM
I got Colwyn the Incrediblock ages ago, back when it first came out (I think it was over a year ago). He loved it right from the start and still plays with it a lot. Like most of his toys, his interest in it does wax and wane from time to time, but he never totally gets bored with it. He just turned two, and he played with it for about 20 minutes straight yesterday.

I really like the storage it has, too. Of course, we have way too many blocks to fit in there, but it's nice to get some of them out of the way. ;)

lizamann
10-28-2005, 12:28 PM
DH bought one for DD last x-mas, I think. DD has played with it on and off, but her favorite thing to do was to turn it on as well as her activity table and whatever else in her room made noise all at the same time at bedtime. Drove me nuts. It now resides in a closet with all the other obnoxious noisy plastic toys, and dd doesn't miss them at all. I guess it falls into the category of, if it's there, she'll play with it, but if it's not, she'll play with something else. And since I don't like the thing personally, I'm happy to direct her attention elsewhere. Do you live in Chicago? You can have it for half price if you come pick it up!

simba
10-28-2005, 11:56 PM
I got it for my son when he was 14 months old and could not walk yet. He loved it from day one, he still plays with it every day (he is 17th months) and uses all its functions. He makes it spin, he knows which blocks will "speak", he stores them below, he stacks them and drop them, etc. I bought it to help him getting accostumend with standing, but it has been an overall great hit.HTH.

NewGrandma
10-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks to you all for your comments. It sounds like I will be buying this!! I really wanted to get it soon but I'll just wait and watch for it to go on sale somewhere and maybe get it for Christmas.
Linda

Mamma2004
11-04-2005, 02:54 PM
DS was born 2 months prematurely and was 7 months last Christmas (5 months adjusted age). I looked everywhere for the Incrediblock, could not find it and settled for lots of other Peek-a-Blocks. Well, at a friend's birthday part in April DS was so excited to play with her Incrediblock...along with several two and four-year-olds. That showed me that the toy had longevity so I purchased one at TRUS for $50 and gave it to DS for his first birthday at the end of May.

DS continues to play with the Incrediblock nearly every day and during play dates there are often four children amused with the same toy! I highly recommend the Incrediblock and do not regret spending what seemed to be a high price for it.

Best of luck to you and your family!
Stephanie

Blissful_in_TX
11-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Just wanted to say that I got ours before last Christmas at Target on sale for $37. I think it was worth it for the price I paid, but I don't know if I would pay $50. DS was 9 months old at the time, and he learned to "cruise" by walking around the edges of it. He does like it, but I wouldn't say he plays with it a ton....he's more into cars/trucks/trains now. But whenever other little kids come over, they always want to play with it.

KrisM
11-14-2005, 08:59 PM
DS got it last Christmas at 8 months. He still plays with it most days. He's 18 months now.