PDA

View Full Version : Children's Book of the Month Clubs??

annasmom
11-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Has anyone ever joined one of these clubs? I really need to add some books to our collection, and I was wondering whether anyone would recommend joining one of these clubs, and any one in particular? Years ago, I belonged to those music clubs, and I thought they were o.k. -- not the best selection. TIA!

brittone2
11-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I think if you do a search you'll find some posts about these clubs. I do not think most moms have found them to be a good deal, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

FWIW, some moms here pointed me towards www.bookcloseouts.com and I've gotten some great deals there. THere are usually $5 or $10 off coupons (a purchase over $35 or so) so that makes shipping pretty much free. THey ship media mail, which can be a little slow but when we ordered the books arrived pretty quickly. Some books have marks indicating they are closeouts so that's a consideration if they are being gifted, but most of ours were fine. There are a lot of board books, a lot of nice hardcover/regular page books that are $5-6 instead of $10-15 each like Amazon. Some are softcovers. Just be sure to read carefully so you know what format the book is in if you care.

The descriptions are lacking so I usually cross reference the books I see on there with Amazon to get reviews and more information about what age the book is geared for.

I think last year around this time we got 25 books for something like 35 dollars or so? Anyway, it was a great deal :)

nitaghei
11-04-2005, 06:01 PM
They aren't necessarily the best way to go, if you're looking for classics or just expanding your collection generally. Oddly enough, places like Marshall's can be a great source for board books and some other books, and the prices work out much better. My personal favorites are used book stores and the remainders at places like Borders - it's amazing what you can find. FWIW, Borders has a pretty decent selection of paperbacks for less than $4, which are my faves for travel.

If you do the book club route, Scholastic might be one of the better options. I used to get books through DS's previous daycare. The prices are decent as is the selection, and the daycare gets free books for the kids. I think you could sign up with a local kindergarten or pre-K program if your child isn't in group daycare that does this.

The only club I signed up for was a Thomas one which had the original Awdry books in hardcover, not the dumbed down versions one generally finds at Borders. This was through Scholastic, too - and that was a pretty good deal. The books averaged $6 shipped, and were very nice.

HTH

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

egan284
11-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I currently join the club and am disappointed with it. At first I thought it was the cheapest way of getting books, now I know that's not so. I agree with pp about getting books from bookcloseouts.com, although the selections are hit and miss, you can get the same book for much cheaper. You can also find bargain books at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Borders (with their 30% coupon), or booksamillion.com.

I regret that I didn't do my due diligence when researching for bargain books, I just jumped at their offer of getting 8 books for $2+S&H ($20 ish). I still need to buy 3 more books to complete my membership commitment. I promise myself that the next time I need a book I'll get it from the club (if they have it) and yet I can't bring myself to buy books from them because I can find it cheaper elsewhere. Sooner or later I have to bit the bullet and buy the books from them.

fauve01
11-04-2005, 10:48 PM
this is a little OT, since I don't know about the book clubs~~

i just wanted to say that i've gotten a lot of DD's books from the thrift stores, consignment stores, and library sales. at the library sales, they're about 25 cents each for kids books, and at the thrift stores they're usually under a dollar. even at used book stores, the books are half the retail price that's showing on the book. i've gotten some great deals this way!

a couple times, i bought the weekly reader sets offered on qvc around this time of year. it's a set of 12-15 hardcover with paper pages books (lots of classic titles included like curious george and goodnight moon and spot) for about $35; so it's under $3 per book. i have given these as gifts too.
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.as p&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&CLASSLEVEL=&txtDesc=weekly+reader&SearchClass=

i've also gotten books from half.com and amazon used books. i haven't tried the bookcloseout site the PPs have mentioned, but i'm going to check it out! we've had good luck at the discount stores like marshalls/tj maxx, etc.

oh almost forgot~ for DD's birthday and christmas, etc, i usually say no gifts please, but when pressed i say to bring a book. this has been great! a friend of mine asked her birthday party guests to bring one book that they would use for a book exchange in lieu of gifts for the birthday kid. so every kid left with a book. i love that idea too.

Good luck!
Anne + DD 10-03

ajmom
11-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I second the book order route- usually you get these through day cares, preschools, elementary schools, etc. I'm a teacher and we give them out to our students- they're the 2-4 pg. newspapery-type material with the order slip on the back side. They have the BEST prices- I've been ordering them through my son's preschool and they usually have sets of books (3-5 books) for $6-10. The less expensive ones are paperbacks, but ehy have lots of good ones.

I belong ot the Book of the MOnth and I still need to fulfill my committment to buy. The books are average price, but shipping is WAY high!